1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

I gradually submitted over 50 sites in 36 months

Discussion in 'ODP / DMOZ' started by dinrock, Dec 12, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
    None of them appear anywhere....should I resubmit them again?

dinrock, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  2. corrado vr6

corrado vr6 Peon

Best Answers:
    somewhat not surprised. that seems to be the case with DMOZ. Make sure that all the details of your sites are within their guidlines before submitting again if you intend to do so, I would not expect to be accepted into this directory though.

corrado vr6, Dec 12, 2009 IP
  3. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    No. They are NOT a listing service, in fact, they do not list or service anything by most accounts. What are truly are is an elitist group of "volunteers" that claim to be editors.

You will notice that the only supposed editor to even post in this thread was telling to to be an editor which completely skipped your original question!

So please do, become an editor, all the cool kids are doing it! In fact, unlike site submissions if you are a crappy human they give you a second (and third and fourth, and etc, and etc) chances are proving you can fake it. Unlike site suggestions where you have to submit ONCE and move on or they get mad at you....which leads to answering your question.

SUBMIT & FORGET
    FORGET 2 SUBMIT

You have done all that you can do, unless of course you plan on trying to be an editor.

Qryztufre, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  4. caprichoso

caprichoso Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with Qryztufre but:

Chances are they won't accept you as an editor. They will reject your application once and again. Until, after three or four submissions they will ask you don't try again. They will probably tell you didn't undisclosed all your related websites properly. But they won't tell you which sites you were supposed not to disclose. Then you will never know whether you failed to apply properly or simply they are unwilling to accept you.

In the end, as Q said before, you've done everything you can do about it already.

caprichoso, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  5. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for all of your input. I've come to the realization they are an out-of-the loop, dilapidated, worn out, non-essential "faux directory" from all of the responses and things I've read in recent months. The steam has been pretty much left out of that directory's valve. I'll scratch 'em off my list. Thanks once again and happy holidaze to one & all

dinrock, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  6. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Dont waste your time. Submit and forget.

Ibn Juferi, Dec 13, 2009 IP
  7. Anonymously

Anonymously Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Sorry there is nothing more that you can do at DMOZ if you have offered a site. If you read the stickie at the top you will see that we are not a listing service and that we operate on volunteers. We have never said that we would review suggested sites in good time, it can take from a few days to a few years to get a review with a possible listing and we do not advise the site owner if they have been accepted or not. We have always been clear that PR and Alexa rank has no bearing at all on if a site is listed or when it is listed.

Promote your site elsewhere and come back in a few months and check to see if it has been listed. Most of all re-submitting your site will definitely not help you and it can make the site take longer to get a review.

You have suggested a site, thank you but please note what I have said.

Anonymously, Dec 14, 2009 IP
  8. intellg

intellg Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Keep submitting your site in DMOZ till you not get success. At least once in month.

intellg, Dec 19, 2009 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  9. robjones

robjones Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Anyone reading that suggestion should note that neither site in his sig has a Dmoz listing.
    Follow his advice (which is contrary to the submission guidelines) and you too can enjoy the same measure of success.

Why give "How-to" advice on a topic you know nothing about?
    Please do not make suggestions that lead others to get labeled as spammers. Not helpful. -rep applied

robjones, Dec 19, 2009 IP
  10. lmocr

lmocr Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm sure Rob could stand up for his own self, but ...

His knowledge comes from the fact that he was an editor for the ODP (aka DMOZ) for many years.

Have you seen the thread stickied at the top of this forum?

lmocr, Dec 19, 2009 IP
  11. sippsin

sippsin Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have read the guidelines and rules of DMOZ recently. Wow.. Now I understand that DMOZ is an entirely different category of directories. I changed my website a lot, according to their regulations and have submitted again.

Still I wont be surprised if it wont get approved. Because their policies are bit different from other directories and its difficuilt to comply with all their guidelines unless you have a Niche Website, either of Content or with a highly established Business.

Their MAIN policy is to List "The Best Top websites into each Category". And the important point here is each website to get approved in the same category shoud have something "UNIQUE".

So, even if your site is extremely good, if you site reflects Similar contents as that of an Existing website in the category, yours will not be added. The reason being, it just behaves as a duplicate. And by that I mean, duplicate to Humans, not to Search engines. So once almost all Areas are covered in a category, it is very difficuilt to get a new site listed in the same category.
    And as I said, if you still want to list, you should have something really unique that is not already in the Category and you should mention that in your application.

So, Thats it ! They dont want any new websites to be listed, with similar content thats already in a category.

They scrutinize each website with all Guidelines. While applying some key points we could remember are:

Proper Title and Description for the Website,
    Proper capitalization of Title for the Website,
    Site should not return 404 error,
    Site should not have "Under Construction" pages,
    Description should be short and precise,
    No or very minimal Adsense or other Ad stuffs,
    Take time to analyze and figure out correct category..

and more.. dont remem everything now... :)

sippsin, Jan 9, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  12. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Please DO NOT do that. It will be counterproductive.

Agent000, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  13. indodistro

indodistro Peon

Best Answers:
    Unlike you, my site never been submitted but it's listed it self ? anyoew can explain?

indodistro, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  14. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    More than half the sites that get listed in DMOZ were never submitted in the first place. Editors go out looking for them as the submission pool is the worse source of quality sites. Can you imagine the webmasters for whitehouse.gov , wallmart.com, who.int, nike.com etc spending time submitting to directories? How useless is a directory to a web surfer without such key sites included?

Agent000, Mar 13, 2010 IP
  15. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    We don't just look for large key sites, we also look for small, not well built key, in our eyes, sites that may not have any pagerank, sophisticated technology etc but do have unique material that an editor thinks adds to the category s/he is building.

Our model is not how much value we can give to a site we list, nor how much money can we make from maintaining the directory, we don't make any money we run at a loss! It is what sites might be useful to a surfer who wants to use collated, categorised sites as their search tool.

Anonymously, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  16. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I fully agree! Sites like Pepsi and Microsoft have NO REASON WHAT-SO-EVER to promote themselves, that's why we never see ads for them in magazines or television :rolleyes: Your reasoning is ALSO clear as to why many editors have 50+ deep links within the directory.. I mean, LOL... with all the crap in the suggestion pool (to think, all of us webmasters create nothing but trash to submit to the ODP) have no other recourse then to add in their own pages sometimes tens of thousands of times though automated methods! But gods forbid they bother with what the end user may have thought worthy to add... :rolleyes:

Honestly, if the suggestion pool is really that bad, and finding sites on alta-vista is soooo much better, why not remove the pool all together? It would likely be better PR then telling the end user what they have suggested isn't worthy.

Qryztufre, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  17. Anonymously

Best Answers:
    Personally I would turn the suggestions button off, but I lost that argument.

Whilst you were around, Q, did you edit in shopping? Oh sorry no you only did 5 edits, so you really have no idea how much spam is submitted, so why don't you buy that zip I recommended?

Anonymously, Mar 14, 2010 IP
  18. dinrock

dinrock Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks to the editors for giving their insights. One amazing thing that happened when I submitted a children's coloring book site (about 4 yrs. ago), is that it was accepted in about 10 or 12 weeks....I'll never forget that!

dinrock, Mar 17, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  19. popotalk

popotalk Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Informative with useful content. It deserve to be listed. Maybe angela or makhrod.:)

popotalk, Mar 17, 2010 IP
    robjones likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.