1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much does smart pricing differ?

Discussion in 'Reporting & Stats' started by qwestcommunications, Sep 6, 2006.

Ok, we know that an entertainment site that averages around 5 cents a click can eaily go down to earning 1-2 cents a click when smartpriced but what about a site that deals with mortgage? If the site averages close to $1 a click, is it possible to go down to 1-2 cents a click as well when smart priced. I mean this is like giving sites providing mortgage products and services near on free advertising. This can't be right, can it?

qwestcommunications, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  2. mobilebay

mobilebay Active Member

Best Answers:
    It seems to base your ppc price on an average of all your sites, I have remedied it by only keeping similar ppc e.g. mortgages, loans and removing adsense from lower click prices e.g. mobile logos

mobilebay, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  3. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    I've had Adsense on my entertainment site for 3 months now. In the beginning I was smart priced. But now my earnings have increased gradually but so has my traffic. I have already earned $28 before noon today. So that tells me Google has stopped smart pricing my site. Maybe Google smart prices new sites and reevaluates them after 60 days or something.

NewToAllThis, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  4. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    It's all about conversion. If your increased traffic is converting for them, they will either lessen smartpricing or remove it. To be absolutely sure if smartpricing has been lifted off your account, I would look at your eCPM, which takes into account your increased traffic in regards to your earnings/CPC.

jackburton2006, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  5. heinlein99

heinlein99 Peon

Best Answers:
    Possibly. I average 5-12c a click on my main site but a secondary one got a $2.00 click a couple of days ago.

heinlein99, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  6. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jack, I've noticed my eCPM has risen lately. My CPM hovers between $.60 and $1+ which is great for my traffic! I will end today with around $80 which I'm sure is peanuts for you but excellent for me! Remember when I used to complain about my low CPM? :D

7. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well done! Once you've reached a certain point with Adsense, you might want to look at other sources of revenue to compliment your Adsense earnings. A banner at the top, a box at the bottom, will double your revenue without taking anything away from your Adsense earnings.

8. skip

skip Guest

Best Answers:
    Whoa, wait. I'm just curious what "being smart priced" means. I thought that smart pricing was executed on regular basis with all publisher sites. Is that something they pull on only some 'lucky' ones? ...and how do I get out of there then?

skip, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  9. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, but which ads can I use that won't go against Adsense TOS?

10. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    I think all new sites are smart priced initially until they prove their worth. It's a protection against made for adsense sites.

11. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    You can use any CPM ad network or affiliate banners. The only thing that goes against Adsense TOS is other contextual advertising (i.e. YPN, Clicksor, Bidvertiser, etc.) I'm referring to CPM ad banners -- Valueclick, Tribal Fusion, etc. that will pay you by impressions, and not clicks. Depending on the size of your site (if you do more than 2000 uniques a day) you can probably get into Valueclick Media and start serving ads immediately. I would apply, because it doesn't cost you anything.

12. fmgomes

fmgomes Peon

Best Answers:
    Can anyone confirm this? Thanks.

fmgomes, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  13. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    As I recall they do it every week.

14. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Jack. You truly are a wealth of knowledge. :)

15. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems more like 60 days because that's how long I was smart priced. My traffic has only slightly increased but my earnings has increased dramatically.

16. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Could be. Who really knows how Google does anything? They seem to love the mystery and speculation surrounding them, and the more ambiguous they can be, the better it seems.

17. NewToAllThis

NewToAllThis Peon

Best Answers:
    are you still being smart priced Jack?

18. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Couldn't tell you. Most of my sites have been converted to YPN. They're now making three times as much. :D

19. fmgomes

fmgomes Peon

Best Answers:
    Don’t want to highjack the thread but do you think *new sites* are smart priced for a certain amount of time, before they begin to be treated like any other site?

I’m asking that because recently, about 10 days after creating a new site that has AdSense ads, my AdSense account was heavily smart priced. I’m still trying to figure out the exact reason for that (could it be because there’s a new site in the AdSense account?) and the best strategy to bring things back to normal.

fmgomes, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  20. jackburton2006

jackburton2006 Peon

Best Answers:
    Usually smartpricing doesn't kick in until your sites (i.e. your account) reaches its highest pinnacle of earning -- say, for one week you make more those days than you ever have -- and then the next day -- bam, you're smartpriced. High earnings most likely kicks in some kind of audit of your site's conversion.

jackburton2006, Sep 7, 2006 IP