1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Interview with Chris Hoffman owner of Alive Directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by podman, Sep 6, 2006.

Interview with Chris Hoffman owner of Alive Directory

Well I hope you like this interview:) Done by Directory-Owners.Com

Q. Are you able to give us a short insight into your background?

For the past 10 years, the core business for Mystik Media has been developing, marketing, and selling computer software. Mystik Media developed from a previous venture named CDH Productions, which officially started in 1997. In 2000, focus was moved to Mystik Media. CDH Productions is still alive today at www.cdhnow.com, but it is no longer a primary focus. Last year, new ventures were started, including the web directories and the popular www.excessively.net online games site. Other various new projects include www.audio-video-tools.com, www.multimedia-downloads.com, www.nicefacts.com, www.allonlinebible.com, www.justfunnies.com, and www.mycheatsite.com.

Q. How did the idea of Alive Directory come to you?

It seems like nearly everyone has a directory. It was not quite as bad last year, but the field was already saturated. The goal for alivedirectory.com has always been to be the best web directory possible...to provide the maximum amount of benefit for submitters, easy submission, and convenient browsing. Of course, providing a convenient resource for visits was also a goal since the site was designed to get real direct traffic from many sources, including search engines. Alive Directory never had the goal to be "just another directory". It was focused from the start to develop into one of the leading directories on the entire Internet that offers very powerful listings for submitters and a valuable, quality resource.

Q. What was your biggest challenge getting the Alive Directory to where it is now?

The fact that the search engines are currently putting so much value on the age of sites has held back Alive Directory somewhat in rankings since there were established directories before Alive Directory. However, that is improving with each passing day.

Q. What promotion methods do you use?

Promotion methods for Alive Directory are very vast. However, a few include advertising, press releases, software developed and distributed as a marketing tool, articles, and, of course, submission and promotion in other directories.

Q. What are the main points that make Alive Directory stand out from all the rest?

Many of the directories today use cookie-cutter templates. Alive Directory was designed to be a unique directory that provides very convenient access for all types of visitors, with both very fast submissions (no obstacles) for submitters and convenient browsing for visitors.

Alive Directory's most significant point is the strength of the directory. Very extensive work, time, and resources were (and still are on an ongoing basis) put into the site so that it will provide powerful listings for submitters.

Nearly every submission to Alive Directory is edited in some way (some require much less editing than others, but almost all require some change). This is done to provide a top-quality resource, maintain a consistent style, and provide a reliable resource.

Q. It seems Alive Directory has a massive financial backing. Do you think without the presence of the finances that Alive Directory could not have got to where it is today? If so do you believe that having money when starting a site is recommended?

Developing a top-quality directory does not require any financial element, only time. Without the directory being known by submitters and well established and promoted, it is not of very much value, though. I certainly believe you can start a directory without any funding, but it should be a commitment to develop and constantly grow the site. Of course, that being said, it is always helpful and beneficial to have funding for any project before starting.

Q. Who do you think is your direct rival in the directory sector?

I don't really think of it that way (as rivals). I can say, though, that AvivaDirectory is doing a great job. Definitely a very good directory in which to have your sites listed.

Q. Have you got any future plan to expand Alive Directory features?

Yes, I will continue as normal, maintain what has already been done, and even have a few new cards to play.

Q. In your view what are the benefits (or disadvantages) of running a directory?

Anyone can run a directory, but it takes a lot of work and patience for a directory to truly be valuable, beneficial, and profitable.

Q. What do you think are the main key points to a successful directory?

A web directory is not very useful if work is not put into it. That's the most important element. It is very important for the directory owner to have a commitment to the project and "stick with it". So many directories are started and then quickly abandoned or neglected. Along with maintaining a quality, well managed directory (good number of listings per page, well managed featured listings, etc.), I believe that the work put into a directory and commitment to it on an ongoing basis are the main key points.

Q Are you able to run a very successful directory and still have a personal life?

Yes. However, if you run numerous other projects as well, it can definitely become a challenge.

Interview with

Chris Hoffman
    Mystik Media

http://www.mystikmedia.com

view more at:-
    http://www.directory-owners.com/showthread.php?t=500

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
    onedollar, wrmineo and CReed like this.
  2. websiteideas

websiteideas Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I really don't see anything special with this directory.

websiteideas, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  3. wrmineo

wrmineo Peon

Best Answers:
    Good interview with insightful questions and dialogue podman; well done.

As far as being 'special' Alive Directory simply stands above most despite any naysayers. I actually see quality traffic in my referrer stats for Alive which is rare in itself as far as directories go .... "special" is apparently subjective from one person to the next.

wrmineo, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  4. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:

-Dan

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  5. banless

banless Peon

Best Answers:
    That was a good read. Well done.

banless, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  6. roadies

roadies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Nice interview pman. I was hoping to get a peek as to how much he spends on sig links in forums, but this was pretty good.

roadies, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  7. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:
    I bet it is a lot:)

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  8. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Great interview.

Blogmaster, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  9. Michael.

Michael. Peon

Best Answers:
    Chris is the man.

Great person to talk to.

Regards,
    Michael.

Michael., Sep 6, 2006 IP
  10. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:
    Thanks all:

Glad you like it:)

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  11. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Cheers podman, nice job.

CReed, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  12. ! Ask !

! Ask ! Peon

Best Answers:
    Alive is heavily promoted, when PR finally updates will go to PR7 or maybe PR8.
    Just go to msn or yahoo and see how many links point to Alive Directory.

! Ask !, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  13. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:
    ^ very true:)

Glad to see this interview is liked by so many

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  14. avik

avik Guest

Best Answers:
    keep it up podman, nice interview, try to bring out some personal info too. ;)

avik, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  15. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Really nice interview. Chris Hoffman is really gr8 person. Keep it up podman.

deluxdon, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  16. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:
    thanks all:)

-Dan

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  17. fatinfo guy

fatinfo guy Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice interview. I haven't joined your forum yet, but do enjoy reading some of the lively discussions over there. Keep up the nice work.

fatinfo guy, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  18. podman

podman Banned

Best Answers:
    Thak you Fatinfo:)

-Dan

podman, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  19. Blogmaster

Blogmaster Blood Type Dating Affiliate Manager

Best Answers:
    Good luck with your forum, podman. I know it's been up for some time, but I just recently joined :)

Blogmaster, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  20. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    good read :)

onedollar, Sep 7, 2006 IP