1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Old Macbook pro or a New Sony or Dell ?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by soundingloud, Feb 15, 2010.

?

old macbook Pro over New Sony and a Dell

1. Old macbook pro

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  2. Sony Vaio

1 vote(s)
    16.7%
  3. Dell

4 vote(s)
    66.7%
    Hello Dpsites

i have had an old P4 from the past 4 years. but now i have asked my dad for a laptop which would be a little personal.
    i have just finished my graduation.
    Finally when i am getting a new laptop i have to make a few of decisions between

1)Old macbook pro : A1260 ( 2.50 ghz T9300 2 gb ram 250+ HDD ) possibly one year old but the person who is selling it to me does not have any papers or box. He is just giving me a laptop with a charger, at this moment he has installed windows 7 on the system and he just does a work of mobile repairing and just transfers music into others mobile phone and just earns through that.

( i have no idea how to check that macbook i tried sitting on it and used it... worked fine for me... opened the battery area and it looked all clean it looks rele tempting but the fact is that how to get it checked as he has no CD's and nothing at all : suggest me the ways so that i could check the battery or the other hardware of the systems or should i hire a professional who would test it for me and let me know if that good enough to be working for another 2-3 years)

he has asked me to pay Rs38000 for that macbook i.e. 810 $ :confused:
    not sure if that amount is good enough to be paid for that machine.

2) Sony vaio: the reason i am willing to buy this is the reliability or the market image sony holds.

3) Dell : My friends suggested me to buy a Dell over Sony and i never told him about the old macbook pro.

my usage: i plan to learn music Softwares + Photoshop + play few lil games and just sit and browse and learn web designing and surf surf and surf and yea the random things that we keep on doing.

i plan to start up my own web site designing firm here in India in the next 2 years.

so a laptop which would i would buy now would be with me for the next 3 years at least :eek:

My range is 800$

the decision i want to make is whether buying an OLD Macbook pro( A1260) over a New Sony Vaio or Dell ( first i want to decide the brand and then the model number )

suggest something :)

soundingloud, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  2. mixke

mixke Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Assuming there is no warranty left on Macbook, I'd suggest getting a new notebook unless configuration of new notebook is way less than that of old Macbook. Both Sony and Dell are good, and offer reliable service. Decide the one which fits your budget.

mixke, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  3. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    hey thanks for a reply... i am trying to figure out... what you actually mean by

do you mean that the configuration of the Old Macbook Pro would be way a lot comparing the New once... but you still suggest me to buy a new notebook ?

4. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    If your range is 800 I would recommend a Dell, decent quality and a bit cheaper than a Sony. Mac has little compatibility with most games so that is another reason. However Macs are great for design work and general browsing as you say. If games are not really the main issue, I would say go with the Mac.

JMel, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  5. letsjoy

letsjoy Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Dell is better on both sony n mac...go for Stdio series it,ll come in your budget :)

letsjoy, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  6. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to buy a new laptop. Can be either Sony or Dell as long it fits your budget.

That Macbook Pro is an older version than the current one. Don't know if it easy to get a spare part for that model in your place if it have a problem later.

- Dynashox -

dynashox, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  7. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    ooh wow... thanks for such great replies ... i shall go in for Dell then... :) any specific model you want to suggest according to my requirement... ??? I am in INDIA.... :) i can spend somewhere near ... INR 35000

8. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    one more question ... pops in is... Is a New Dell Far Much Better than an OLD Macbook PRO ?

soundingloud, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  9. dynashox

dynashox Premium Member Staff

Best Answers:
    As I'm not from India, I can't recommend the exact model that you can get within your price range. But for me, your best bet is to get one of the Dell Studio model as it is built for multimedia purpose.

That is totally depend on which model you're going to buy. A couple of Dell Studio model are far superior than the old Macbook Pro as for example, it use latest processor (Intel i5 or i7) compare to the old Macbook Pro which just used Intel Core 2 Duo.

- Dynashox -

dynashox, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  10. tango007

tango007 Peon

Best Answers:
    hi mate just don't get confused ...First and the most important thing u must keep in your mind is that "Don't buy a Second hand laptop, no matter how cheap it is."
    Go for New Laptops always. For your need I think yo must check these out.
    and also check these they are in u'r budget

tango007, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  11. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    thanks mate... i am going for a new Dell studio... :)

Old stuff sucks..

i mite help some one else get that old book... :D

thank you.

will update when i would get the laptop in my hands... :D

soundingloud, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  12. netsurferist

netsurferist Guest

Best Answers:
    Few yrs ago i faced the same question but I was looking at two options Sony and Mac.After spending some time on deciding what to buy,I went for Sony VAIO VGN-CR31S!

DELL, SONY and MAC all are very well established manufactures, but I dont like DELL for its design/models, MAC for its software. I like Sony for its brand and nice and slim design!Thus, my suggestion is SONY VAIO

netsurferist, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  13. viprocomputers

viprocomputers Peon

Best Answers:
    Dell is my choice comparing to MAC & SONY

viprocomputers, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  14. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    i went to Viao and Dell's Store... both of them are selling a Laptop of the same configuration

Dell Inspiron. i3 Core ( with 512 dedicated graphics card)
    Sony Viao E Series.( with 512 graphics card )

and everything else almost the same ...
    except Dell is Giving Windows 7 Premium and Sony Home Basic

i asked my frnd if i should buy Studio... then he told me that it is for Hard Core Video rendering and thats when i would be in a need of using to update my system to 8GB ... but i am just a beginner so i guess 512 dedicated graphics card would be more that enough for me....

and yes i would also save some $$$ out here....

what your take...

Studio or inspiron ? :D a new confusion though but the Answer is a must to find. :)

soundingloud, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  15. andoy96

andoy96 Peon

Best Answers:
    mine ? its good DELL!

andoy96, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  16. soundingloud

soundingloud Peon

Best Answers:
    DELL DELL DELL... :D now i am confused Bet 3

1) Dellâ„¢ Inspiron 14 New Laptop (S541214IN8) With 512 graphics card
    2) Dellâ„¢ Inspiron 14 New Laptop (S541213IN8) with 4 GB memory card + 500 Gb HDD
    3) Dell(TM) Studio 15 Laptop (S541036IN8)

lol shit... i am just writing an email to Dell ... let see what would they reply :D

soundingloud, Mar 19, 2010 IP
  17. Sam.Lewis

Sam.Lewis Peon

Best Answers:
    I would go with the old macbook. Works great, won't die.

Sam.Lewis, Mar 19, 2010 IP