1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Squidoo Lenses & Backlinks. Juicy Or Not?

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by lakelandprinting, Mar 4, 2010.

I've been doing some link wheels, and I incorporate a Squidoo Lense into each one. I just created a new lense, but my SEO quake reports "0" external links on the page, although I have 4. Does anyone know if Squidoo made changes?
    I could swear last week they showed up as external links without the "nofollow".

FYI, for those unsure of what a link wheel is, I linked to word "link wheel" to a ehow article.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2010
    lakelandprinting, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  2. frankenstone

frankenstone Peon

Best Answers:
    Squidoo links are not juicy anymore, because they are redirect links, not normal dofollow.

frankenstone, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  3. eorama

eorama Peon

Best Answers:
    Any other idea on this?

Do squidoo links matter anymore for backlinks?

eorama, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  4. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Can't you just do "view source" and check for yourself?

PhilipSEO, Mar 4, 2010 IP
  5. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Not true - search engines still see the raw dofollow links. Only when viewed with a web browser do the links become redirects.

Cryogenius, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  6. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Google is no longer indexing Squidoo and a lot of sites it considers spammy (as much as before). I put up a Squidoo lens about 1.5 months ago, and it's not indexed till today. Same goes for other sites. Now, if the Squidoo page is not indexed, you can be sure whatever backlinks there will not be counted.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
    Reviewz, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  7. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    It doesn't follow (no pun intended): dofollow links on noindex pages theoretically still pass link juice if they have any (e.g. if the noindex page is linked from some page that has PR). But the question here is whether those links are dofollow.

Can you post an example of a Squidoo page that is not indexed?

PhilipSEO, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  8. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Could you explain this more? I have trouble understanding your statement. The search bot and the browser are very much alike in that what they "see" is the html file that is served to them, and since it's the same html they see the same links.

9. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    The links are modified using Javascript, which is only done by the web browsers. Search engines don't interpret the Javascipt (except for some very simple scenarios), and will therefore see the original links. This is done for the SkimLinks affiliate program.

10. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    Just because your lens isn't indexed doesn't mean the whole site is being ignored. Do you have backlinks? Is your lens still in WIP?

Google has indexed hundreds of thousands of lenses, and counts the backlinks from every single one.

11. Promoman

Promoman Active Member

Best Answers:
    Squidoo and Hubb are both nofollow now. So are mixx, wordpress and many others. Blogger is still the most reliable along with blog commenting.

Promoman, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  12. PhilipSEO

PhilipSEO Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ah, this does make sense, thank you for the explanation. I don't know enough about Squidoo, I assumed we were talking about redirects that prevent link spam, didn't realize this was about affiliate links. So when I look at "this link to Kindle" in the post you reference and do "copy link location," this grabs http://go.squidoo.com/?id=1120X507259&url=http://www.amazon.com%blah-blah-blah.... When I look at the link in the source HTML, the redirect is indeed not there. However, the link itself is nofollow. Ah well. :)

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  13. eorama

eorama Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think this is true
    I posted some lenses 2 weeks ago and today they are first page for the keyphrase I want to monitor.

eorama, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  14. jb100

jb100 Peon

Best Answers:
    I am not using Squidoo Lenses to promote backlinks. I have also not seen any good results of Squidoo Lenses as an effective way of SEO. For me Blog commenting and Forum posting in high PR sites are the best options.

jb100, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  15. ladyred129

ladyred129 Peon

Best Answers:
    I know it took some time for my Squidoo to get indexed that I was using for a wheel as well. (But I didnt do anything to help it along like : Twitter/ RSS/ Ping)
    It is now showing as a back-link. ( I just checked my record it took 2 weeks to index Squidoo )

But best bet it - Blog -do follow ( make sure to Source so you could check to see it's Do Follow)

ladyred129, Mar 5, 2010 IP
  16. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, it's quite true. Google is dropping its indexing for sites it considers "spammy" and looks like Squidoo is considered one of these as well. Check up the number of pages indexed for GoArticles.com in Google and compare with EzineArticles to know what I am talking about. Notice that GoArticles has a good PR as well, and they definitely have a lot of pages, yet their pages indexed is only a fraction of EZA.

Reviewz, Mar 6, 2010 IP
  17. pro.seods

pro.seods Peon

Best Answers:
    The links are do-follow. To get your pages indexed quickly you have to use aggregates like rss feed submission ad social bookmarking.

Note: google has been facing problem with the new caffeine update, this is a reason for slow rate of indexes.

pro.seods, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  18. Kali Kola

Kali Kola Peon

Best Answers:
    I've used Squidoo a few times and I never generated any traffic from them. I never even seemed to get mine in the top few pages of google.

Kali Kola, Mar 8, 2010 IP
  19. Cryogenius

Cryogenius Peon

Best Answers:
    The link itself is nofollow because it's an affiliate link inside the Amazon module. Other links in other modules (e.g. Text or Link List module) are dofollow.

Cryogenius, Mar 9, 2010 IP
  20. Bartgatbsy

Bartgatbsy Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree. That's my reason why I don't use them anymore.

Bartgatbsy, Mar 9, 2010 IP