1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How Much Can I Charge for Advertising on a Website With 250 uv/month?

Discussion in 'General Business' started by GingerApple, Mar 2, 2010.

Hi,

Someone is interested in buying space on my website to link to their website, and this particular section has an excellent conversion rate. The website has 250 uvs a month, with 450 pageviews. The niche is exactly the same on both website, and we are effectively in direct competition with each other. Does £5 ($7.50) a month sound too cheap/too expensive? I'm sure he's going to be making massive profits from the listings.

GingerApple, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  2. pimpinkid

pimpinkid Active Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the quality of the traffic arriving at your site. Sure, your site might be in the same niche but unless the people arriving are actually interested in what you're offering it wouldn't worth that much.

I'd say $7.50 a month is quite a decent price. If you want, test the conversion rate out yourself first, stick a fake sign up form or whatever and see how it goes.

pimpinkid, Mar 2, 2010 IP
    GingerApple likes this.
  3. GingerApple

GingerApple Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for your thoughts, I'll give them a shot!

4. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I'd say 250 unique visitors per month, meaning less than 10 visitors per day isn't worth paying to advertise to. But if that someone wants to, let him pay. Your traffic stats need to go in the thousands and tens of thousants of unique visitors before you should consider selling adspace.

I usually end up with that (250/month) kind of traffic during the first month after launching a project, I seriously doubt someone would be making "massive profits" off that amount of traffic.

Clive, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  5. GingerApple

GingerApple Peon

Best Answers:
    Massive is a relative word ;) $200,000/month might be massive to you, yet $10/month might be massive to someone else! Either way, I've taken your point on board and he does seem to want to pay for this targeted advertising, so it's just a question of whether the price is right.

6. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    I guess what I meant was that 250 uvm is a good start but not enough to start making massive plans to sell adspace on the website. Do your best to improve the traffic figures signifficantly, you'll then feel the difference. As far as the price is concerned, I'd say your current site's traffic is worth what a buyer is willing to pay you but I don't think it has any advertising value just yet.

Clive, Mar 2, 2010 IP
  7. Fergal

Fergal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Why would you want to advertise a direct competitor on your site? Can you not make as much money from your visitors as your competitor can?

Fergal, Mar 2, 2010 IP