1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bought a New UPS!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by rajesh.ejob, Feb 27, 2010.

Hi, I bought a new UPS , its make and model is ICE600. I think it is not an standard company. I approached the shop with a idea of buying Microtek UPS as DP members suggested. But in shop they have said this is better than Microtek , for the first time they have given 2 years warranty for battery also. In microtek total warranty would be 6 months. And after a long conversation i chosen ICE600. Its is Price is 1600INR.
    Is it value for money? am I bought a good one? share your thought lol....
    Thank you..

rajesh.ejob, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  2. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    Just out of interest...
    What is the electricity situation in India/Pakistan (which is where I'm guessing you're from)?
    I notice a lot of you guys use UPSs.

Kerosene, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  3. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    Many times retailers push local products because the margins in these products is much higher.

I have used UPS's from a few different companies and I would say that usually you get what you pay for.

Battery is just one component of the UPS.

There are other factors that also matter and which are sometimes can't be measured by the customer:

- the quality of output.
    - power consumption.
    - backup time under different loads etc.

One of my previous PC's was used with a local UPS and I had to pay a heavy price for it....my motherboard was burned because of voltage fluctuations.

This time when I went to buy a new desktop, I bought a not-so-expensive PC (Zenith), but I asked him to give me the best UPS in the market.

He asked me to choose between Wipro and APC.

I bought APC and I think it's definitely the best UPS in the market.

The backup time exceeds 20 minutes (LCD monitor) and it is the first UPS/stabilizer that I have used, which doesn't heat up even after 8-10 hours of use - really efficient.

APC is costly (mine cost 2300+), but I think it is worth it.

Now that you have already bought the UPS, all I can do is wish you luck..:).

sachin410, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  4. rajesh.ejob

rajesh.ejob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    @Kerosene
    I am from India, and in my locale there won't be frequent power failures, except sometimes in afternoon time. But here there would be fluctuations in the power, So we can't assure that it is safe to use the PC without UPS.
    Yes mostly everyone who uses PC have an UPS here.

@Sachin410
    Yes, i agree that i would get what i paid for. But at this time i am not in situation of spending more than what i spent now. but i am in need of UPS to protect the PC from fluctuations. Due to frequent power cut, my system got corrupted and window log in password has been corrupted.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2010
  5. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I use a APC ups in the UK which has a reliable power supply but it is seen as a safe guard incase you do get spikes in the power which can do alot of damage.The only thing you have to remember is to change the batteries in the unit every couple of years.

Mega B, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  6. rajesh.ejob

Best Answers:
    Thank you mate... but why it is to be changed.. if it is maintained properly.. May i know the indications that occur at the time the battery needs to be changed. Actually i was advised to discharge the battery completely once a week, by utilising the ups without power supply for the computer. or any other electronic device.

7. Mega B

Mega B Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Regarding changing the batteries in my version they used ni-cad batteries which dont last for ever but i am not sure if the ones produced in the last year or so have better ones,i guess it was like mobile phones they had a habit of developing a memory and after a time would not hold a good charge but as time marches by they bring out new technology.

Mega B, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  8. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm fed of daily power cuts in my area, so using APC UPS since last many years.

nihangshah, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  9. rajesh.ejob

Best Answers:
    Yes... as the time goes on and using continuously.. repeated charging makes the battery weaker..... But i think now we have improved technology.. you can check some new UPS ..

Daily power cuts? where are you from lol? Does your UPS have long stand by time... what s it stand by time...

10. nihangshah

nihangshah Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I'm from Maharashtra. The government is facing power shortage and hence we have daily power cuts. This has been going on since last 5 years. I'm on APC 1100 Back UPS RS. Gives backup of almost 30 minutes.

nihangshah, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  11. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have been using APC UPS since last 3-4 years in my office. It had cost me INR 17000 at that time and it gives me power back up of 4+ hours for two of my PCs. :)

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  12. rajesh.ejob

Best Answers:
    17000 INR! it is a portable UPS or UPS with large batteries and separate inverter. ie,. standby ups or continuous ups....

rajesh.ejob, Feb 28, 2010 IP
  13. dairyman

dairyman Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have a V Guard UPS and it costs around 2000 INR and have been using it for the past one year without any problem.

The electricity situation in India, especially in cities is satisfactory with planned load shedding. On an average, we go without power for 2 hours a day while the situation would be horrible in rural areas where the power shortage extends beyond 6 hours a day. Though the UPS doesn't guarantee power beyond 15 minutes, it helps us save the unfinished task and protects the PC from electrical surge.

dairyman, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  14. deluxdon

deluxdon Catch Me If You Can...!!!™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I am using Invertor (APC) instead of seperate ups as its good for my home electricity as well as for my pc.

DON.

deluxdon, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  15. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    APC is renowned for being the leading maker of quality UPS devices, it's your best option, especially over some local company. A longer warranty is worth nothing if your UPS *and* PC both burn out from power fluctuations or spikes. Most warranties will only pay for any damaged hardware connected to it, not the cost of recovering any data that was lost (if any), and the time and hassle of extensive downtime while trying to fix/refurb/replace your old machine. APC all the way.

JMel, Mar 1, 2010 IP
  16. genx20

genx20 Member

Best Answers:
    It will serve your purpose but for future i suggest not to go along with the dealer. Reputed companies offers less commission than unbranded local companies. So the dealers and shop keepers try to sell the unbranded one as much as possible for more profit.

genx20, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  17. Stephen12345

Stephen12345 Peon

Best Answers:
    What is the VA for the UPS you have bought
    2828.bz

Stephen12345, Mar 21, 2010 IP
  18. rajesh.ejob

Best Answers:
    @genx20
    yes.... i can understand that dealer like to sale high commission products, hereafter i would be making clear decision in buying items,
    @Stephen
    How can i find the VA in my UPS

rajesh.ejob, Mar 24, 2010 IP
  19. rajesh.ejob

Best Answers:
    I have checked in my UPS , there is no fuse supplied with it? Is it safe to use without fuse ,right now i plugged ups to power through an extension slot which has a fuse.
    I would like to know whether instead of fuse is there any electronic Chip or any other component can be used in UPS.

rajesh.ejob, Mar 26, 2010 IP
  20. fazalillahi

fazalillahi Peon

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to always go for the branded product....

fazalillahi, Mar 27, 2010 IP