1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Earnings dropped- Was it because I revised ad placement?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by mediaspin, Feb 26, 2010.

In January I had spurts of 2k/day traffic and Adsense was up like fourfold my regular earnings. This month traffic is down to .5 to 1k/day and Adsense is down very significantly. I revised ad placement at the beginning of this month and was wondering if it's a combination of this and reduced traffic. More importantly, does Adsense get peeved for a few days when you revise ad placement and size? I'm assuming bids are lost and you start from square one again? Is is best to leave ad placement alone (period) for advertiser consistancy or does it not really matter at all?

I'm using a 300X250 in top left, a 234/60 (near) top right, and a 300x250 below post.

Lots of questions but your experience would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks so much!
    James

mediaspin, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  2. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    it is difficult to analyze without site name.

chandan123, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  3. mediaspin

mediaspin Peon

Best Answers:
    Sorry, I did not know if that was allowed.
    It can be found at: http://www.dittos-rush.com/ (For discussion purposes)
    I realize that a politics/ news blog is one of the lowest paying in Adsense, nonetheless I've been doing OK. Same questions apply.

4. chandan123

Best Answers:
    that blog contains more videos only in home pages now. so it may be the problem.

i am seeing some recipes ads :rolleyes:

5. mediaspin

mediaspin Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that more videos/ less text is a bad thing for Adsense?

Thanks!

6. chandan123

Best Answers:
    yes. you need more unique contents (texts ). it seems you old blog posts are more text based and new ones are more videos so it may be the reason

7. norradjer99

norradjer99 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    likely what happened.

norradjer99, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  8. Erlend55

Erlend55 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Too much advertisement is not good either.

Erlend55, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  9. mediaspin

mediaspin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks so much! ;-)

10. biznics

biznics Member

Best Answers:
    After seeing your blog, I think it lack in following:

1- Ad placement is not adequate
    2- Content is not properly optimized and placed.
    3- Like others have said, too much videos on your blog.

Try to improve your ad placement and also add some quality content on regular basis. Adsense ads are only relevant when you give some keywords/content to them.

Good luck,

biznics, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  11. mediaspin

mediaspin Peon

Best Answers:
    biznics,

Thanks for your response! ;-)

Any suggestions on ad placement. I thought I had them in the Google recommended "hotspots".

I understand less video/ more textual content, but how do you add more keywords? Should I link some of the keywords to some of my other posts?

Thanks again,

James

12. biznics

biznics Member

Best Answers:
    You're welcome mate,

The best practice to place ad is where your visitors can see them clearly... A place where they react more... I saw one of your ad is placed at the BOTTOM of your site. I personally think you are wasting this ad. Think what if your visitors are not willing to scroll down for more info on your site. Don't hide your ads on the bottom (at least when there is much to scroll down).

Content is the king in SEO and you can use internal linking by placing keywords & linking them to other internal pages/links of your site. Don't overuse anything; whether they are keywords or internal linking structure.

Internal linking structure: If my site provides web hosting services, then within my content/paragraph, I can use "web hosting services" (my keyword) to link it to my "web-hosting-services.html" page. You can BOLD it for highlighting.

Getting backlinks: Try to get quality & relevant backlinks for your site by blog commenting, article writing & submission and social bookmarking (Digg). This will surely help you enough.

Do let me know if this helps.

Good luck...

biznics, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  13. ronnyeo

ronnyeo Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is what I am crying for. And I thought I am alone here with this problem.
    I lost 50% of my 3 days earnings.

After browse around i got some clue which one thing to look for when clicks decrease is if there's a change in ads - you can't look at your page and expect to see what all visitors see. Ads are targeted to geo-location and user interest as well. So you might check to see if you have a bunch of recent visitors from some locale this isn't usual for your site, and check also to see some of the different ads slated for your site (http://www.labnol.org/google-adsense-sandbox/). Also you'd want to consider the variety of content on your pages - have you added any fresh stuff recently? If not, maybe it's time and if so...is there something in the new content that is briging different ads?

ronnyeo, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  14. Dondon2d

Dondon2d Peon

Best Answers:
    Revert the placement that performs better. Traffic is also a big factor though, less traffic = less revenue.

Dondon2d, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  15. Chancey

Chancey Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    video sites are not good for adsense. Find other programs for our site.

Chancey, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  16. mediaspin

mediaspin Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you SO much!

By the way, I'm currently using a 300X250 in top left, a 234/60 (near) top right, and a 300x250 below post. I agree with you on the bottom ad. I had it there simply because my of my incoming links are for a specific page and only one blog post shows with that ad directly beneath it. Perhaps you are still right. Since Adsense allows 3 ads, would you recommend just leaving the two (above) and not over do it? What is your opinion of a large rectangular banner ad at the top center.

Thanks once again!

James

17. emilio

emilio Peon

Best Answers:
    lot of factors influence the earning...analyse by yourself what you've done that make a bad effect to your traffic and earning...while you find it, then fix it!

emilio, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  18. biznics

biznics Member

Best Answers:
    Rectangular banner above content will be a good idea. I suggest, try to change your 234/60 banner with 468x60 ad unit.

If you think you can get the most from two Adsense units, then go for it. Unless if you find any better place for the third one, then place it there. Always blend your ads with the theme of your website, like content, background and etc.

Few SEO tips:

1- Avoid un-relevant links. I saw in your site (left side) that you've added many outbound links. Are you sure they are relevant to your site/blog category? If not, then remove them at once. This is called linkspam/spam indexing and Google does not like this act.

2- Your title bar is not optimized with your keywords. Try to optimize your website title by such keywords that best represents your niche.

3- Write/update your site/blog with unique/fresh content (at least once a week)

4- Get quality/relevant backlinks. (I mentioned in my last response too.)

Focus on getting targeted audience, don't ever go for bulk visits. Because only targeted visitors are going to benefit from your blog, rather than visitors who are just wandering around the web...

Good luck,

biznics, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  19. Biggboss

Biggboss Guest

Best Answers:
    Just put only 2 ad units on your websites it will get good click rates
    hope this will help you

Biggboss, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  20. pearlgurl

pearlgurl Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    It is sure, if that is the only thing you have done with the site.

pearlgurl, Feb 27, 2010 IP