1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

SHADY MySpace PPC Algorithm

Discussion in 'Pay Per Click Advertising' started by MyHub, Feb 25, 2010.

Take a look at this...

How do you explain the jump in CTR from 8PM to 9PM?

Info: My daily budget is $50. Target Audience is 19 million.
    My Goal: To write a super-targeted ad and get 0.01% CTR
    Spend $1 per click. I expected 1 click every 10,000 impressions.
    At $50 I should have gotten 500,000 impressions and 50 clicks.

So, my ad runs for most of the day without getting any clicks, so at the end of the day, MySpace Shows my ads in such a way that the CTR skyrockets! And eats up all my money.

Shady....

[​IMG]

There's only 1 way MySpace can increase the CTR like that, and that's to blast a whole lot of impressions to a very few people. They only do that to take my money. I designed the ad so that it will have very low CTR, and now look ... MySpace is sabotaging my marketing strategy.

When they blast lots of impressions to a few people, that's shady because they are supposed to blast my ad to my ENTIRE targeted audience... not just part of it. I want them to show my ad across the ENTIRE targeted audience as evenly as possible.

Does this make any sense? Does anyone else see this?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2010
    MyHub, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  2. longtime

longtime Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That is really weird. Anyone else using their ads?
    It seems like it's not exactly safe to advertise there.

longtime, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  3. MyHub

MyHub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it is not safe and is not fair. CTR should stay relatively the same throughout the day. Not jump up so high in a few minutes. That is not fair. And it messes up our marketing strategy.

If I want to show my ad to 19 million, they need to show it to 19 million. And not show the ad over and over again to only a small group of 20,000 people. That's wrong and not fair.

MyHub, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  4. nevetS

nevetS Evolving Dragon

Best Answers:
    You designed your ad to get a very low CTR?

How do you effectively market a brand and get people to not click through?

nevetS, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  5. MyHub

MyHub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

The goal is to get maximum impressions for minimum adspend.
    (This should result in decrease of CPM as much as possible to 10 cents or less)
    To do this, I make a super-targeted ad and display it to a very wide audience.

MyHub, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  6. FCM

FCM Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Goes with the territory. Apparently your target market becomes more active starting around 7pm which is normal. Most people 9 -5 are working. 7 -11 are wind down hours and people are more likely to explore an ad or click on an ad for no reason. Lower your bid $1.00 is a lot for a click. Whats your product?

FCM, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  7. MyHub

MyHub Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks, FCM. I somewhat disagree because my target market is 19 million people. It's hard to imagine 19 million people to not click one hour, then the next hour suddenly become interested. You may be right though, because maybe many of them finished watching prime time TV then went to their computers at 9PM.

A more viable explanation could be that they are showing my ads to fewer people more times and they are clicking on it.

The only other explanation I can think of is click-bombing. But I doubt that is it.

Thanks for the tip. I have lowered my bid to 33 cents. We'll see what happens.

MyHub, Feb 26, 2010 IP