1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bringing Convo Back: What's Your Favorite Recent Job?

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by snarke, Feb 24, 2010.

I pop in and out of here every few weeks or so--when I have time or when I'm trying to scrounge up last minute work to keep the rent paid and the electricity on (I'm not the only one living job to job am I?) and I have to say that lately I've seen the conversational aspect of this forum dwindle quite a bit. I see a lot of people asking for advice and being told to "search the forum that's been asked already!" I see a lot of people asking/offering work and being told "not the right board!" but I don't see a lot of real interaction happening anymore and that, more than the promise of work or buyers, is what is what made me like this forum in the first place. It was a place that I could come to talk to other writers about writing topics, business and other stuff too.

So!

In the interest of bringing that back, I wanted to ask: what has your favorite job been in the last three months and why? Don't give out client names or specific product info--we all know how secretive people like to be about that kind of stuff--but generalities "a content piece on fashion" or "a sales page for an antiques service", etc.

I'll start:

My favorite job in the last three months was a sales page for a guy selling a CD of parodied Christmas Carols. The guy was funny, the product was fun and even though it was a fast job, it was a great experience. The client is also thinking about letting me use the text I wrote for him in my online portfolio since the holiday season is over and he is seeing zero sales on the CD.

Your turn!

snarke, Feb 24, 2010 IP
    waxingpoetic likes this.
  2. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreed. I come daily but rarely interact anymore because the place is dead. Dead I say.

Favorite recent gig... well, there are two. One was a series of funny entertainment posts I did for a new client. I loved getting a break from the factual financial bits and wandering into the world of celebrity, TV and movies.

The second is a series of insurance blog posts that I've been working on for the past 9 months. I have complete freedom on the blog (as long as I stay compliant) and the company loves my personality so I can let it all hang out. Well, not all of it... I mean... we do actually want readers after all :)

Overall, in the past 5 months I've noticed an increase in the amount of clients who don't want dry, boring financial posts and articles. Instead they want funny, irreverent, thought-provoking fare which I love. I'm working with a new site for divorced men right now, handling their finance section and it is a blast too.

Y.L. Prinzel, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  3. snarke

snarke Peon

Best Answers:
    Wow, this place really is dead.... even this thread didn't get any responses. Surely YL and I aren't the only ones working? I'm not asking for details here people just a fun experience you've had.

snarke, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  4. LoveArtHope

LoveArtHope Peon

Best Answers:
    I am a real newbie here. One day-today. My favorite jobs are my acting gigs. But as to writing, I have to say I like the one I have so far. I am writing medical related articles and two dealing with divorce. I am also a poet, and I write lyrics. Though I need to figure out legal stuff for that part of my life.

I am still trying to find my way, but I don't want to change topics, as it is my understanding that is not right.

I hope you get more responses. Maybe it is a sign of the current times, or that people have forgotten this is a place to meet and get work.

Peace and nice to meet both of you.

LoveArtHope, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  5. lightless

lightless Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Mine was writing a few poems/original song lyrics. I like writing poems or song lyrics and it comes rather easy to me.

So basically, I had fun and was paid for it as well. :)

lightless, Feb 26, 2010 IP
  6. waxingpoetic

waxingpoetic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Writing content for my site which is only 9 days old is my favorite gig right now, but it doesn't pay much...or really like not at all. I moved it from Blogger, and I'm giving this freelance thing a go. As for paying gigs, my forte is How To, and I love to write about Photoshop and other software when I get the chance. There is so much documentation on Photoshop now though, that it's getting saturated. I also did some writing recently about different How To stuff with cell phones and that was fun easy writing.

waxingpoetic, Feb 27, 2010 IP
  7. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The place is not dead, it has just become full of "crappy" blog posts posted by noobs, which made the good members leave.

omarabid, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  8. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My turn:

It was a self-employed job! I wrote a script that makes simple HTML tables dynamic. It uses jQuery as a framework and work across all browsers (though I didn't add support for IE6). It got 8 sales up to the moment (around 2 weeks from launching it for sale) and I made $19.2.

It's few but I'm happy with it :D

omarabid, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  9. Y.L. Prinzel

Y.L. Prinzel Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm going to have to agree with you, sadly.

Anyway, congrats to everyone happily enjoying their work :)

Y.L. Prinzel, Mar 11, 2010 IP
  10. acadianapa

acadianapa Peon

Best Answers:
    Interesting question! My favorite recent gig (one that I will be working on for the foreseeable future) involves city guides. Each city requires 8 articles of a certain type, and I like them because they are very formulaic and the research is easy. I also like the gig because the work is unlimited (pretty much) - at least for now.

acadianapa, Mar 20, 2010 IP