1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Website advice needed

Discussion in 'General Business' started by sweetcrabhoney18, Feb 23, 2010.

HI!
    I have two online stores.. run with zibbet. ( links below) I'd like to make a website for both. I already have the domain, the hosting and all that.. However I want to only make one site for both my stores instead of two different websites. Mostly because they have very similar products. I was thinking that joomla would be the best CMS... however I'm not really good with joomla :(.. I feel like every single template has to be changed so much.. like the logo and junk .
    Anyone know a cms or some kind of website building software that can make a site for me very easy. I'm thinking now that my only option is classic html. I would like to be able to edit the site every once in awhile.
    Like maybe a WYSIWYG website builder. Anyone know any good ones. I don't want to use a free one.. because it might look kinda tacky.

Really could use some advice.. Thanks bunches!

sweetcrabhoney18, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  2. broxen

broxen Peon

Best Answers:
    you could try wordpress, it's much more simple than joomla. there's also many plugin for e-commerce work.

broxen, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  3. ManMadeMarketing

ManMadeMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Let me get this straight....You don't want to add a logo to a Joomla Template (takes about 2 Mins after you have a logo sized up) .....but you don't want to use a free template because it would look tacky?

Sounds like you don't want to even work on this site to me...and guess what...your visitors will know you didn't spend any time on the site either which usually does wonders for conversions.

My advice...learn Joomla...its free, its powerful, and if you actually work...you can end up with a nice site. If you want to be lazy and throw up garbage, so will be your results from the site.

ManMadeMarketing, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  4. sweetcrabhoney18

sweetcrabhoney18 Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm not lazy. I have tried joomla many times. I just don't understand it. It's not about being lazy It's about not having the time to spend the whole day working on a joomla template. I'm a mom. I try to spend more time with my son than online. If that makes me lazy then fine.. but I'm a great mom.. And to me that is so much more important than anything.

I know that for myself html will be easier than joomla. The kind of joomla templates I want to use is like $50. And if I don't even know how to master joomla why waste the money.

I have thought of using wordpres.. I'm very use to wordpress... But I just not sure how to make it split into two different areas for the two stores. I was thinking like a really simple white theme.. and just spiting the blog in too.

And by tacky I was talking like website builders that put ads on the sites. Not free joomla templates. And with logos.. How I going to choose between the two store logos. I can't put like one or the other. And combining them would be weird because they are so different.

I can't believe you call me lazy. That really wasn't needed.

sweetcrabhoney18, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  5. broxen

broxen Peon

Best Answers:
    you can split them using category. Or if you willing to spent money, there's many premium themes able to do that. Of course, if you want to make it more comfortable to you you can order custom theme.

broxen, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  6. ManMadeMarketing

ManMadeMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    I apologize about the lazy comment. I think you just need to spend a bit more time with Joomla. I have set up numerous free-template sites for myself and others that don't look off-the-shelf. Typically Free-Templates are Pre-Loaded with banners/content to give you a sense on how it was set-up. Its actually easier for a beginner to understand Categories/Sections, Banner/Clients, Modules/Extensions, Menus and the use of each with pre-loaded content because you can see how it all pieces together. With a 'clean' template..your left creating all that on your own...which can be difficult for someone new with the CMS.

'Classic HTML' is great for 1 page, 2 page sites...which if that's what your going for great. If you want to build something bigger, CSS is normally used with HTML...and Joomla (along with Wordpress and many others) help you create multiple pages without starting from 'scratch' each time. Not to mention the plug-ins and modules that every CMS offers to allow you to make your site more interactive and functional.

If you decide to go with Joomla, I suggest digging through tutorials on their site...which really help. I learned it on my own and it has its advantages. Or finding someone that can build you a 'skeleton' design (take care of logo, setup and minor stuff) and guide you through the process of building content, which is the easy part once you have the site built out. I have done this for many, and there are many here on DP and other places that can help you get started.

Good luck, I apologize, I certainly didn't mean you were a lazy person...and it sounds like you don't have much free time to learn Joomla which does take some time to pick up.

ManMadeMarketing, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  7. ariefsyu

ariefsyu Active Member

Best Answers:
    use wordpress and eshop .. good and easy to use and setup.

ariefsyu, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  8. tech_savvy

tech_savvy Peon

Best Answers:
    yes, wordpress maybe what you are looking for.

tech_savvy, Feb 25, 2010 IP
  9. dalentam

dalentam Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to agree, I tried joomla and it just didn't click for me. OTOH, I love wordpress but am much more familiar with it. Have you done anything with wordpress? It's pretty easy

dalentam, Feb 25, 2010 IP