1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

One site vs. Many sites

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by Crynos, Sep 3, 2006.

Im getting started on adsense. Im wondering what you folks think is a better strategy. To make one site and spend all time/money on that, or to make 5 or so sites. Right now im going with making multiple sites (better chance one will do well i guess) but i would like to hear your opinions.

Crynos, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  2. Monks

Monks Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    that is a good question to be pondered by seo philosophers the world over

Monks, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  3. commandos

commandos Notable Member

Best Answers:
    allways backup your self with many sites .

because you are not sure wich site will work , make many see after a period wich bring u the most $$$ ... just put more effort on this one in your process .

commandos, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  4. KalvinB

KalvinB Peon

Best Answers:
    Register one domain. Set up a blog on that domain. Set up subdomains that only display blog entries from a single category.

So if you have a category in your blog called "politics" set up politics.yourdomain.com

You can then easily manage all your sites from a single blog.

KalvinB, Sep 3, 2006 IP
    commandos likes this.
  5. DirtyDog

DirtyDog Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    That depends. Are you an authority on some subject so that you will be able to create an important site on the subject? Or do you plan on scraping content from other sites and littering the Internet with more useless MFAs? If the answer is the latter, then you might as well make 50 sites.

DirtyDog, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  6. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    So far i have two videogame fansites powered by blogs (both games im interested in and will be buying on release) and am building a site on a food product that i love.

Crynos, Sep 3, 2006 IP
  7. CnK

CnK Peon

Best Answers:
    in my opinion one site is better then many sites and spend all time this site...

CnK, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  8. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If that one site dies for some reason (drop in rankings) you're shit out of luck. Other than having many sites I'd say it's also good to have a couple of income sources aside from Adsense, such as affiliate programs, CPM, etc.

And just because you have many sites doesn't mean you'll have to spend a lot of time managing them. You can focus on the ones that are generating the most profits. I have a few sites sitting around that make $5-$30 a month that I do almost nothing to.

m0rtal, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  9. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    And why are they only doing $5-$30 a month, thats right, because you do almost nothing to them.

If you are just starting, start with 2-3 sites of your personal interest, the stuff that you like the most, then you will know exactly what content to put on them and make them great.

tyggemannen, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  10. Crynos

Crynos Peon

Best Answers:
    Think ill focus on the current 3 (well 4, but 1 isnt adsense) sites i have. Hopefully that will keep me busy/one will get popular.

Crynos, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  11. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    If you focus on all 4 and they all interest you, they can all be popular : )

tyggemannen, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  12. softwareindex.org

softwareindex.org Peon

Best Answers:
    You should make a successful site first. and then make more sites.

softwareindex.org, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  13. m0rtal

m0rtal Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're missing the point here. I have a site that makes a lot more that I put work into. Now if that site was to suddenly drop in rankings I still have a couple other sites that will be bringing in that $10, $20 or whatever it is so it's still something to fall back on.

If for example I have ONE site bringing in a full time income of $3000+ and I'm relying to live off this then suddenly my site drops in the SERPS and traffic dies by 90% what then?

m0rtal, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  14. Omario24

Omario24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I used to ask myself the same question. Start multiple sites. That way, you have a variety, and if one doesn't work out, you always have the others. One is surely going to become popular! Go for it, and good luck!

Omario24, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  15. wwhhing

wwhhing Active Member

Best Answers:
    If variety site was base on differend kind of content and catogery (eg, game, music, TV, book), then, it will very good. Because it can earn from different field.

wwhhing, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  16. Omario24

Omario24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Exactly. However, you can have the same genre of sites, just different coverage.

Omario24, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  17. wwhhing

wwhhing Active Member

Best Answers:
    True, but it really hard to maintain with different content, unless you working full time by doing website!!! For me, i will be crazy how to get update every different site. Sometime really can not think single word to write. hahaha.... If you really able to do it, a great income from adsense are reflecting your hardwork!!

wwhhing, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  18. Omario24

Omario24 Active Member

Best Answers:
    It's hard to do, especially with school on your ass, lol. Well, that's how it is for me anyway.

Omario24, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  19. tyggemannen

tyggemannen Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes, I understood your point the first time, my comment was made more to make a point out of the fact that if you dont work you dont get paid. Didnt mean to make you look stupid or ignorant.

softwareindex.org said "You should make a successful site first and then make more sites."
    "Successful" is very relative, but I agree totally, work with the one and only for some time, but keep your mind alert on the fact that you will build more sites later.

And you also mention adsense, dont forget that there are affiliate programs like commision junction and more out there. Specially if your site its about things people buy on the web. A lot of webmasters are making way more money on that kind of programs then adsense.

tyggemannen, Sep 5, 2006 IP