1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What Makes a Good Internet Marketer?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by VcElder, Feb 23, 2010.

How do I know if an internet marketer is a quality marketer?

I have an idea so good, my head would explode if I even began to understand what it is. I have an extensive background in IT infrastructure, applications and the internet.

I know the components of marketing (back link, generation, SEM, SEO, article submission, blogging, copy writing, social networking affiliate marketing etc)
    but do not really understand them nor how to employ them.

I would like to hire a person who is extraordinary at the above listed.
    How do I know who is good and who isn't?
    What criteria do I go about selecting a model for me to emulate in terms of achieving results?
    I should emulate someone who gets results. What constitutes "results" that are attainable?

Thank you

(edited the run-on gibberish, my apologies.)

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    VcElder, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  2. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    First of all, get a good command of written and spoken English

omarabid, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  3. ManMadeMarketing

ManMadeMarketing Peon

Best Answers:
    Its dedication for me. Even if you pay someone to teach you...you are still going to have to have the dedication to apply all the techniques on a daily basis to start seeing results.

As great as it sounds to sit around and make money on websites...its hard work. It's a daily grind where consistent hard work is rewarded. Many have the desire it takes to become an online marketer, and some even have great ideas. But many lack the year in and year out dedication it takes to make it in this business.

ManMadeMarketing, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  4. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    There are very few here who know anything about advertising and marketing. Hell, there are very few here who even have a brain, but I would still suggest that you first use this thread to get you going.

As a advertiser and marketer myself, I can get you going.

First off, there really is no way to know for sure unless you spend time with that person, and then use what they have given you.

Next, what is it you are looking for? More traffic? More money?

Also, are you selling something? That make a big difference.

Let's say that you want more traffic, and that you are also selling something. I tell my readers that such "methods" as organic traffic, article writing, blogging, message boards, social networks are a complete waste of time.

(Then again, maybe some think that getting, say, 50 or so hits a day, along with a high bounce rate, is "good traffic.")

I love how some beg to differ, yet they still have a dead site.

The bottom line is that you have to get good at spreading word of mouth, advertising (placing ads out there), and then giving it time.

I can help you, if you want. ... It's part of what I do. But just know that whomever you go with, that person will want to know more about you and what you want to do.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2010
    Perry Rose, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  5. alliwant

alliwant Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree partly with Perry Rose.

Most people underfund their ideas and go with "free traffic genereation". Free traffic generation has a very tough learning curve. Organic traffic is real and it's not a waste of time, but it is a whole new field in and of itself. Probably one a lot of people don't have the resources and time to pull off. By investing money in advertising and word-of-mouth promotional offers & coupons you are sure to at least get a message out there. That message then needs refining. With organic traffic you need to invest a ton into getting it and then you have to still learn how and what message you are trying to convey.

alliwant, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  6. carfanatic01

carfanatic01 Peon

Best Answers:
    Aside from checking the written and spoken english, I guess you will have to check its experience and ask for past job and the names of the sites he work on. :) Hope that helps.

carfanatic01, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  7. William Tubold

William Tubold Peon

Best Answers:
    To be a good marketer, you have to be persistent, spend time...creating and analizing strategies, learn from the pro's and be unique!

William Tubold, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  8. wind233

wind233 Peon

Best Answers:
    To me a good internet marketer is persistent knowledgeable, and make money.

wind233, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  9. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    if I were you, I will just go ahead and do it... you will learn a lot.. right here.. along the way.. that is the best way of learning to swim.. jump right in.. get choked for a few times.. then it will just become second nature...

webbmaster, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  10. VcElder

VcElder Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you for everyone thought, and I apologize about the English above. I was a bit excited when I wrote it.

As for the people who advised to, "just do it and be persistent," Thank you for your advice.

I suppose, just doing it is an option but I would rather pay money for someone to point me in the right direction. I do have capital for my site and am willing to spend XYZ on marketing.

There is a part of me that just wants to outsource the entire job of marketing and pay for it. My problem with that is the person I pay will only give enough love into the site equal to the amount of money I give him. No one will love my business more than me.

I would rather outsource certain parts of the marketing (the copy writing and article submission, IF thats required that is) and do the bulk of the mundane work myself. A majority of businesses fail because of lack of capital and lack of willingness to know when to pay someone else to do something. My time is more valuable than my money at this point.

Perry, thank you for your post. I will send you a PM.

VcElder, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  11. carol.prime

carol.prime Active Member

Best Answers:
    Hi VcElder,

First of all, you will never know unless you try. There are lots of internet marketer out there who claimed that they are good marketers but actually, they are not. So, you should look for the right company, ask for references and samples if needed.

carol.prime, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  12. Frankstar

Frankstar Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is how I would go about assessing anyone I was interested in doing business with:

a) How have they presented themselves on the internet? Is it a good website? Is it written well?
    b) Are they easily contacted? Do they have a phone number, email, skpe etc
    c) Test them by sending an email and see if they reply promptly
    d) Phone them up and see if they actually talk to you / or return you message.

I find that simply talking to the person (old fashined in this day and age!) filters out a lot of the tire kickers.

ONce you know that you at least have a chance at building a relationship (because you have some decent communication channels), then you can start looking at examples of the work they do. Anyone worth their salt should be more then happy to show you examples of SEO work etc.

Regards

Francis

Frankstar, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  13. johnben1444

johnben1444 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is not too difficult to know, good internet marketers tend to be branded and very experience. From there response to post in forums you will definitely see the difference between a vetaran internet marketer from the wannabies.

I am an affiliate marketer and just beginning to get my priorities right, from my post i believe you should be able to deduce that too.

johnben1444, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  14. LomX

LomX Peon

Best Answers:
    Experience , Hard work, be trust worthy person :)

LomX, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  15. Michaela135

Michaela135 Guest

Best Answers:
    I agree, look at their experience and ask to see examples of work they've done in the past. If they are serious internet marketers they should happily show you some of their previous work. Also ask them for a reference to call and talk to personally so you can help verify the claims made.

Michaela135, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  16. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    Knowledge and dedication and willingness to help you. You can test their knowledge by asking a few questions or asking them to explain something like affiliate marketing to you, or how they would explain databases to their niece (an actual google interview question). As for 'results' check their previous track record for obtaining increased search engine rankings for the keywords they have targeted.

Traffic-Bug, Feb 24, 2010 IP
  17. Michaela135

Michaela135 Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes I agree, that's a great idea Traffic-Bug with the 'how would you explain databases to your niece?' question. Alot of people can explain concepts in technical language and still not really know what they're talking about but if you can explain something in very simple language then you really do know your subject matter - it's a great skill to test.

Michaela135, Feb 24, 2010 IP