1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Link Exchanges Are Worthless

Discussion in 'Link Development' started by EGS, Jul 17, 2006.

1. blazinCrazy

blazinCrazy Peon

Best Answers:
    Why would anyone prefer the no. 3 spot in the SERPs? That sounds ridiculous to me.

blazinCrazy, Sep 4, 2006 IP
  2. ronmojohny

ronmojohny Active Member

Best Answers:
    any link to your site is better than no link. Period

Let the SE's decide which ones to value, and which ones to discount.

ronmojohny, Sep 4, 2006 IP
    northpointaiki likes this.
  3. Seobiznezz

Seobiznezz Peon

Best Answers:
    Our company prefers position number 3 for the following reasons. Keep in mind that we have been doing ecom for years and have budgets of 10K a month in PPC alone.

Imagine if you would an automall. A person knows that they want to buy a car. At the automall they stop at 3 different car dealerships. The 3rd one they may not find their perfect car, but they are comfortable with the process of, how to buy a car, how to talk to the dealer, how to negotiate.

A car dealer would prefer not to talk to a customer at an automall if it is the first dealership they have visited that day. It is hard to close a sale because the customer will have prepared the time and energy to visit 3 dealerships.

Here we go......

Position 1: Visitor has queried what they want to buy or need info on. They spend approximately 10 minutes looking at that company and the items that they sell.

Position 2: Person has reassurance that the item that they want to buy is for sale by multiple companies thus increasing their confidence. They are not ready to buy the item yet but are close to making their final decision. Their questions have been answered, they have seen the shipping choices, selection and prices. But......they want one more look at the queries.....why....because that is how people operate....what if......

Position 3: This is the likely source that they will buy from. They have already got their easy questions answered. They will use the 3rd site to answer their most important questions and that will give them the comfort to place the order. They will be looking for delivery times, security, privacy, money back guarantees, SSL, BBB, contact information and any other information that gives them the comfort level to complete the transaction.

It is just like when you are in sales. You have your contact call, your reminder call and your closing call.

Or....in television commercials. Have you ever saw where the same company will run 3 back to back commercials on the same item? The third spot is the most likely spot people will buy from.

Especially when they say "call 1800..... to order now" I am sure we have all seen this strategy when watching late night television.

A. Simple Information
    B. Reassurance, additional information
    C. Comfort, guarantee, Final sale.

Anyways....After years of selling stuff on the net, I would obviously like to control and manipulate all 3 top spots. But if I had my way, I would prefer the 3rd position anyday.

If you do happen to have all 3 top spots you can also manipulate the prices on the same product.

Position 1: low price $70
    Position 2: Medium price $85
    Position 3: High Price $100

I will just leave you with that to think about. Keep in mind that many companies do this. Crazy as it may sound, people sometimes pay more for an item because they feel that it is authentic and of higher quality but it is the exact same item.

Seobiznezz, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  4. slaydragon

slaydragon Banned

Best Answers:
    link exchange helps to get higher ranking in search engines...

slaydragon, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  5. juzme

juzme Peon

Best Answers:
    Good point! It shows you know your market real well :) Many people just don't have a clue of this kind of stuff, it's called market research! That's how we figured out on our domain name registration service too. You may be surprised sometime being no. 11 (no. 1 on 2nd page) is much better than No. 7-10 on page 1!

juzme, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  6. ferret77

ferret77 Heretic

Best Answers:
    in experience being #1 is like 2-3 times better then being 2 or 3

ferret77, Sep 5, 2006 IP
  7. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    Nice article! 3 way-link is the way to go for SEO

melfan, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  8. venturefox

venturefox Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why do you preach these things as if they are fact? You dont know how the search engine algorithms work and you dont even put forward any proof that this is the case. I am all for SEO speculation but stating things like "Now it's official: links exchanged between websites have lower weight." is absurd.

Feel free to come back to me with some sort of proof - link exchanges have always done wonders for me personally. Who are these "SEO Gurus" you speak of?

venturefox, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  9. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Link exchange still works. It's how you do it that makes the difference. I've done it several times within the past 6 months and high have great rankings for competitive phrases. People that write these types of articles don't know what they're talking about.

Voasi, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  10. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    This is my article little dawgie, and I'm surprised that this thread is still continuing. From a Google PageRank perspective, one-on-one link exchanges are worthless. That's the point I am trying to make, and most importantly, its pointless unless you get traffic from them.

Thanks.

EGS, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  11. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    A) I've got several PR5 sites that are solely based on link exchanges
    B) Who cares what the PageRank is...as long as good rankings are being achieved...which I've also done solely based on link exchanges

Voasi, Sep 6, 2006 IP
  12. linkstraffic

linkstraffic Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Links Exchange are not worthless if you do it properly. You can get a better rank as well as more traffic by building a kind of network with your websites and your partners' sites.

linkstraffic, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  13. melfan

melfan Peon

Best Answers:
    @linkstraffic

the thread starter wants to point out the big advantage of 3-way linking and reciprocal linking. no one is ruling out that link exchange is totally worthless.

Cheers!

melfan, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  14. wisam74us

wisam74us Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Correct your information .. it worths

wisam74us, Sep 7, 2006 IP
  15. EGS

EGS Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I hope this post can clear up my thread and article's title a bit to those who are disagreeing with me. :) I didn't necessarily mean "worthless" but maybe instead "not what it used to be", hehe. ;)

EGS, Oct 11, 2006 IP