1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Are PR Agencies Worth the Money?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by grigsdomain, Feb 17, 2010.

Are PR Agencies worth the money? I'm doing some research on PR agencies and I know they are heavily used by funded startups and bigger businesses. However, are they worth the expense and do they drive results?

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

grigsdomain, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  2. 7DayTrafficPlan

7DayTrafficPlan Guest

Best Answers:
    I've heard some good and terrible things about PR agencies. Unless you're a big company or want to appear big then stay clear. They will eat cash for little results. Having said that, I always say that press releases are for everyone and and can get you some great results for far less. Plus you have a massive advantage over a PR agency - you know and care about your business.

7DayTrafficPlan, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  3. MarketingWiseGuy

MarketingWiseGuy Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree, PR agencies are probably not worth the money anymore. Just submit press releases to a few good PR sites and they will distribute it for you. I would recommend the low end premium services if that is in your budget. If not, the free options will still show results!

Just do a quick Google search for "Free Press Release Services" and you'll be set.

Good Luck!

MarketingWiseGuy, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  4. Techsolutions

Techsolutions Peon

Best Answers:
    guys do you have any idea how much a company profile for a small enterprise costs? Do PR companies make company profiles??

Techsolutions, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  5. choice

choice Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    if you can write your own pr try www.headlinesnews.net

free to submit with upto 3 anchor text links and syndicates to Google News

choice, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  6. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    for an individual site, you dont really need those agencies. you can just submit your press releases youeself or hire a press release submission service that submit your PR on the free press release sites. you can sign up for paid PR distribution sites yourself and submit there if you want as well. some of them charge monthly and some per post.

sultanofseo, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  7. Beevok

Beevok Peon

Best Answers:
    You don't have to say this publicly but how big is your company? If you're company is small it's (generally) highly unrecommended. The company will very likely just give you a bunch of interns and then charge you north of 5000 dollars a month. Put it this way, if that sounds like a lot of money, then it's probably a poor idea.

Beevok, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  8. dafl

dafl Peon

Best Answers:
    PR really is common sense dressed as rocket science - with the goal being to extract huge amounts of cash from people that could do it themselves.

dafl, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  9. grigsdomain

grigsdomain Peon

Best Answers:
    Gotcha. 5K isn't pocket change but it's not totally unreasonable for my company. I've just heard from fellow startup entrepreneurs that their PR agents have really helped to get them media coverage that one can't get unless there's an established relationship e.g., CNN, MSNBC, NYT, Techcrunch, Mashable, etc. Getting on Techcrunch and Mashable may not be unreasonable for some startups but it's not exactly easy.

I'm wondering if their rolodex is worth it. For instance, what if the PR agent pitching is a really good one. Is their credibility and rolodex worth the cost?

grigsdomain, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  10. 7DayTrafficPlan

7DayTrafficPlan Guest

Best Answers:
    A client I worked with ha a treally bad experience. They wer having a launch and engaged a PR company a month before. Fisrt thing they did was send an invoice. At the next meeting they promised all sorts. A week before the launch I got involved and asked what they were doing - they promised the same action, in other words had done nothing.

I'm sure some are good but I would say you have to be able to right off the money they want and view what they do as a bonus.

7DayTrafficPlan, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  11. datamonkey

datamonkey Active Member

Best Answers:
    It depends on how attractive your product or service is. I spent £2000 on a worldwide PR through newswire and got very little back other than many high quality backlinks.

If you have a good product then it will likely be worth it.

datamonkey, Feb 21, 2010 IP
  12. 7DayTrafficPlan

7DayTrafficPlan Guest

Best Answers:
    If you want to try a Press release then I think the best value are offered by PRweb and webwire.

7DayTrafficPlan, Feb 21, 2010 IP