1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How to be a good domainer?

Discussion in 'Domain Names' started by McDoug, Feb 18, 2010.

Im new to domaining and I recently started buying 3d domain names. I need some tips on how to make my investments profitable. Also, Where should I sell my domains?

McDoug, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  2. chandan123

chandan123 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    you can try with bido.com , sedo.com , namepros.com , dnforum.com , DP domain sales section. :)

chandan123, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  3. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    event sitepoint.com will work...

Bohra, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  4. paulnet

paulnet Active Member

Best Answers:
    If your domain names are unique and targetting end users, contacting them will give you more benefit rather than listing on Marketplace.

paulnet, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  5. McDoug

McDoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Is flippa a good place to list?

McDoug, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  6. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you just bought your domains don't expect to sell them immediately unless you are going to be happy getting back the reg' price.

Domain aging is one of the first things you need to learn, the older the domain, the higher the sale price. Exception to the rule is if you bought aged premium domains expressly to resell them :rolleyes:

Mystique, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  7. malcarada

malcarada Active Member

Best Answers:
    You need to wait 60 days before you can transfer your domain name elsewhere.

malcarada, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  8. trancesets

trancesets Peon

Best Answers:
    Register only normal domain.

trancesets, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  9. bxqzb

bxqzb Peon

Best Answers:
    Don't rely on domain sales as your only source of income because if you do, you won't be in a good position to negotiate.

bxqzb, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  10. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yes its one of the good place.
    But i do not recommend them coz you need to pay listing fee.

Try other place such as DP.

mentos, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  11. fikrionline

fikrionline Active Member

Best Answers:
    I think before you want to sell domain, the best way to increase your domain is get traffic with a Blog or website. After that, you can website, not only domain name

fikrionline, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  12. Steve Powers

Steve Powers Peon

Best Answers:
    sedo.com,try it.But before you start,you'd better think it carefully.It's not very easy for you to make money by
    this.Make sure that you have your own insight into this field.

Steve Powers, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  13. Pros

Pros Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    In general:

1st: Spend a good amount of time (1month+) researching those sites, and DN news, to see what kinds of things sell and for what price range.

1.5st: You can be searching domain names during this time, but rarely buy unless something is a clear opportunity for a winner.

2nd: After at least a month, you will understand the pricing metrics a bit better (in general, because there are always a multitude of factors that go into domain name pricing, and they're constantly changing in scope and influence power)

3rd: You can now start searching domain names based on what you have seen to sell.

4th: I personally only go for .coms, but people have made some money (though that's not a hard thing to do) in .net, .org, .info, etc.

5th: When you search, search all the niche until you're out of ideas. store the ones you like in a txt file or on paper, then leave them for a day. the next day, do that niche again, and store again the ones you like. On the third day, look through them and realistically decide if any are worth buying. if possible, give yourself more time than that. Maybe cycle a few niches before you pick from your first one. Time is clarity when it comes to domaining, and that's what you want: clarity of vision, not speculative emotion-fueled decision making.

6th: Take days off, rest, do not become obsessed

7th: It is very easy to become obsessed. domaining to many domainers is like how shopping is to some teenagers and young girls, they get addicted to the rush, and don't think domaining doesn't have that.

You're buying domains, you're acquiring property, but so many people just get such a rush out of 'ooooooh its only 7$!!!' that they make silly mistakes and that's why there's a lot of terrible domain names with parking pages up.

People rush in thinking 'hey, its easy, just words' but its a market like anything else, you need to know it, have a plan of business, and get experience.

Each domain name bought is experience, so people are fortunate in that regard, their mistakes don't cost them even into the double digits, per lesson learned. Be careful to be smart and learn from each experience though so you don't end up getting cumulative four to six digits of net loss.

8th: This is continuing on the last one because its so important, but don't go hog wild. if your area of domain purchases is in niche markets, ie. losangelesplumbing.com or fancydressboutique.com (eg., I don't own these) then see what practical numbers you can pull in before buying many domains. It is your attitude that counts when buying/selling domain names. No one really needs a nice domain name. It's your job to sell it to them, and there's a difference in your perception if you've got in the back of your mind (whether you've thought it or not) "I just got these 2 domains to sell, no worries" or "**** I have like 80 domains now and no one's buying them and I can't get people to respond to my emails and I don't even know where to start looking for leads. I'm in so deep and there's no return on my money, I'm so overwhelmed."

GL

Pros, Feb 20, 2010 IP
    www.1-proxy.com likes this.
  14. McDoug

McDoug Peon

Best Answers:
    Does sedo cost money to list?

McDoug, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  15. Dvious

Dvious Peon

Best Answers:
    Sedo doesn't cost money to
    list but they will take some money if te domain sells which is fair I guess

Dvious, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  16. artok

artok Peon

Best Answers:
    Very nice post, what can i say... realistic. :)

i should thank you for the advice.

Cheers.

artok, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  17. LinkOrders

LinkOrders Peon

Best Answers:
    I would like to add that if you have a premier domain name, Moniker's domain auctions may be appropriate. Also, SnapNames seems to have a number of sales every month.

LinkOrders, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  18. LinkOrders

LinkOrders Peon

Best Answers:
    One last thing to add on, build your domain business for cash flow. Don't try to build it for the quick sale. The user "Pros" had a good analogy in relating domain names to property. Going a step further, think of domain names as land. Some land is in the path of development (e.g. a hot niche). Some land is out in the middle of no where (e.g. low advertiser demand domains). You have to determine how you are going to monetize your domains until that sale actually happens.

LinkOrders, Feb 22, 2010 IP
  19. ShaguM0w56

ShaguM0w56 Peon

Best Answers:
    try to sell on cheap offer here @ DP buy & Sell

ShaguM0w56, Feb 23, 2010 IP
  20. mrupp2006

mrupp2006 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Domain name selling is a hard thing to get into. To be successful you have to know what people are buying. Businesses and people looking to start a websie with an established domain name look for good domain names (not too long and catchy) with backlinks and traffic. A good way to do this is to build atleast a one page site for the domain name(s), do SEO work on the site in the title, meta tags, and content, and submit it to search engines and directories. This process will get the domain some rank as well as increase the value dramatically. Additionaly, this takes some time as it depends on the search engines time frame on indexing the site but a well SEO rendered site should appear in search engines and backlinks in no time. I am currently doing the same thing and soon will list my domain names on premium domain selling sites.

mrupp2006, Feb 23, 2010 IP