1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Do you use java or javascript?

Discussion in 'Site & Server Administration' started by Smyrl, Apr 4, 2005.

?

Do you use java/javascripts on any of your sites?

1. Never use

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  2. Use on occasion

7 vote(s)
    77.8%
    I was asked to change the design of a site (which I did for free) because the rube's friends were so technically challenged that they had not, could not, or would not, make their browsers so they could view java applets etc. What I had on site were hover buttons with footer links for the boobs out there.

I am trying to figure if designers are avoiding the use of java/javascript since all browsers are not java enabled. I do not want my clients to suffer just because I am pig headed. :)

Oops posted in wrong forum.

Shannon

Smyrl, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  2. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    I try to make it in my sites, that if a browser is not JavaScript enabled, then it might not be the best possible view of the site, but it does not diminish the look and feel of the site. I hop that makes sense, if not ask and I will try to explain more.

danpadams, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  3. kyle422

kyle422 Peon

Best Answers:
    I have to use it for keyword research. My logs don't store that info so I use statcounter .com

kyle422, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  4. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    Thanks, Kyle and danpadams..

I understand. I had similar statement. I have another site running hover buttons and was wondering if I should convert.

Thanks for the imput.

S

Smyrl, Apr 4, 2005 IP
  5. danpadams

danpadams Peon

Best Answers:
    I would just say to not make it required for you site to have JS enabled on the client end, but that if you can use JavaScript (JS) to make it better, or prettier then go for it. One thing I use for example is when there is a login prompt, or some sort of prompt for input, to make that input active when the page is loaded. Then even if JS is turned off, then the page will not will not be unreadable, it won't be pretty.

danpadams, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  6. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Java and JavaScript are two very different beasts.

JavaScript is pretty acceptable on web sites in 2005.

Java is much more rare, and much more trouble.

Will.Spencer, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  7. flawebworks

flawebworks Tech Services

Best Answers:
    Only if I have to. I use the kiss method when designing my sites. I'm converting one template with javascript all over the place to plain ol ugly html.

flawebworks, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  8. Epica

Epica Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I voted "on Occassion' with respects to Java Script

I have found that with the use of the <noscript></noscript> tag you can illiminate most 'incompatibility issues' by providing alternative navigation/content.

Whatever is in the noscript tag will only appear if java Script is innactive, so the alternative navigation will only appear for the 'boobs' out there. They might never know the difference if you apply the same styling to the alternative navigation/content.

I say all of this for the benefit of people who may read the post and not know - if everyone already knows this - then I'll run back to my hole in the ground ;)

Its just that I got sick and tired f hearing "the buttons didn't work for me", or "I don't see an'XYZ' " s I just automatically design with alternative content in place when I use some sort of dynamic element.

The same is true for Flash only you can use the <embed></embed> tag ...I think - at any rate it makes me laugh when I visit an awesome animated flash website that MUST have taken countless hours to develop, and then view it with javascript disabled - nothing. Its amazing how many flash driven sited don't use alternative content of redirects.

but anyways....I'm, just babbling now...like a brook...I knew a girl named Brook once...well..we were in the same class togather...what was I saying..?

Epica, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  9. ziandra

ziandra Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    A lot depends on the audience of the site. I am pig headed and have java / javascript / cookies / anything at all disabled in my browser. I will move a site into a more trusting zone if there is a compelling reason. I move on if the site is not usable in high security mode without that compelling reason. There are a lot of sites out there that I don't visit because they are not usable to me.

I realize that I am not "like most folk". Sites that are targeting the average 20 something who bought their machine at the big box store or from dell who have no idea what a computer is and treat it just like their television can use flash / java / javascript / yadayada. The stock default configuration of these mass produced machines will render it just fine. Same for pretty much every other demographic you can think of other than the technogeek who truely knows the dangers that letting someone else run a program on your computer simply by opening their web site can do. Sites that want to get the last 0.1% or less of folk, those who won't (or in some cases can't) enable cookies / java / javascript may wish to design their site so it is usable by everyone.

ziandra, Apr 4, 2005 IP
    Smyrl likes this.
  10. J.D.

J.D. Peon

Best Answers:
    I didn't vote because there's no way to vote objectively with the way you put questions - you can't ask Java/JavaScript - it had to be four choices one or another or both or none. That's how different they are.

Java is a full-blown language with many capabilities restricted only by current security policies (e.g. the applet can only connect to its own website, can't open files, etc). Java can be used to create new custom dynamic, sometimes interactive, content on a page (e.g. http://speedcheck2.optonline.net/speedcheck/speedcheck.html). Because its so powerful I usually keep it turned off for security reasons. On top of that, Microsoft stopped Java support some time ago and its JVM is only supported (well, sort of - in a crooked court-enforced way) until the end of 2007, so if you use it, your visitors would have to download JVM from Sun's website.

JavaScript is a pure scripting language and can't be used to draw custom dynamic content - it can just manipulate HTML on the page and browser's windows. I flip JS support on and off, depending on the website. It is usually harmless to keep in on when visiting legitimate websites and quite often even beneficial for you. Take DP as an example - you you have JS off, your login is less secure (with JS on, the code calculates a hash when you login and sends the hash instead of the actual clear-text password). Other websites implement online help using JS and other useful things.

As for simple hover buttons, you can implement them using CSS.

J.D.

J.D., Apr 5, 2005 IP
  11. Smyrl

Smyrl Tomato Republic Staff

Best Answers:
    That is what I ended up doing.

The poll was more for information regarding use of javacripts in the future.

Thank each of your for making enlightening helpful suggestions.

Shannon

Smyrl, Apr 5, 2005 IP