1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

My Vps people Accidently Wiped all my Vps data !!

Discussion in 'Legal Issues' started by vishal172, Feb 14, 2010.

hello,

I have my VPS hosted at santrex and yesterday i asked them to add an additional ip for me . After doing the payment i just left a ticket as their was no response . Today morning i got a reply from them

I didnt have any backup of my data . So i want to ask is it my fault or theirs . What should i do . Please Guide me .

vishal172, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  2. Dondon2d

Dondon2d Peon

Best Answers:
    Of course it's their mistake! Nothing but recklessness and non-professionalism on their part. Not sure about your data, but you can ask for compensation. I mean, they CAN'T just wipe it out and say sorry and forget everything!

Dondon2d, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  3. wisdomtool

wisdomtool Moderator Staff

Best Answers:
    Does not make sense, how does adding an additional IP cause your VPS to be wiped out? First time I heard of this. You may want to double check with them.

wisdomtool, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  4. vishal172

vishal172 Peon

Best Answers:
    well i replied them like 6 hours ago no reply yet . and they even changed my old ip address . so i lost all my data + my ip address .

5. Ashley Merrick

Ashley Merrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Did they have anywhere on their website or in their Term's and Conditions that they made off site backup?, what VPS software are the using, HyperVM/SolusVM/...

If they don't make backup's then I think the only thing you can ask for is some large compensation, free month's upgrade's, I know this don't make up for the loss of file's, however its the best you can do.

Ashley Merrick, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  6. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    You need to backup your data the next time round. Backing up yourself is one of the most important thing you need to do. In the meantime keep chasing your host to try to look for any backups they may have. One last choice is to try Google Cache or http://www.archive.org.

7. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    What they've done is really unacceptable... and no hosting company should ever run without a backup system... they should backup all VPSs at least on a weekly basis.

On your end, you have no fault whatsoever, but if you care about your data you should always keep a backup on your PC.

Don't think anything can be done against them, except for you to share this experience with hosting communities.

Shagoon, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  8. vishal172

vishal172 Peon

Best Answers:
    I was using HyperVM . I tried to contact their support from The messenger . But he never Bothered To reply me . and My ticket is also Not answered Till now .

9. vishal172

vishal172 Peon

Best Answers:
    Ya . I think i Must have taken Backup . But i never expected Such a thing from these people as i am with them from like 1.5 Years . Its just pissing off . As i lost all my work .

10. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    1st santerx does not have d.c they are resellers for ovh and net direct, 2nd, all their vps are made from ovh servers , using the inbuild virtual mac which ovh provides , 3rd all d.c's cover this very well that backing up your data is your responsibility not their, for example if your server has a problem and you hand it over intervention at time of handing it your it clearly states' your OS might be reinstalled please back data before proceeding' 'press validate' once you press it, it is over if the os has to reinstalled.

as for santerx you would have read on them before taking up with them ,horror stories are all over the net including DP. still beats me how activating a 2nd ip can do this :confused:

allthatjazz, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  11. vishal172

vishal172 Peon

Best Answers:

Well I dont really know you are supporting them or telling against them . Anyways thanks for your advice . Next time ill take the backup . But for this time i just want to see what are they upto . Not replying my tickets nor my IM's .

12. Ashley Merrick

Ashley Merrick Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    There could be two sides to the story, they may have acidently done a Reinstall Instead of adding an IP, or there could be a bug/error in HyperVM which caused the corruption/re installation of a VPS when the IP address was added. May be worth checking the HyperVM forum to see if anyone else is having the problem.

May also be worth having a look for a provider that is using another VPS Administration software until HyperVM is fully workable and safe.

When I last checked HyperVM website still said not for Production/Live use.

Ashley Merrick, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  13. allthatjazz

allthatjazz Guest

Best Answers:
    lolzzz pllz for god's sake i have nothing to do with santrex:p oks u edited yr post am not supporting them or you just telling you how things are done. backing up is your duty not theirs , and they are not a d.c , just resellers .

allthatjazz, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  14. silent_thunder

silent_thunder Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would like to know as well..this is a very scary and unthinkable situation to be in. Years of work going down the drain due to a careless attitude

silent_thunder, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  15. wisdomtool

Best Answers:
    At the very least, shouldn't they reply to their client and give him a detailed explanation?

16. Dondon2d

Dondon2d Peon

Best Answers:
    True. They can't just simply apologize and expect the client to forgive and forget!

Dondon2d, Feb 14, 2010 IP
    wisdomtool likes this.
  17. flock09

flock09 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Demand for what you feel right. They should pay you more than what you pay them. Ask for 50% discount for the whole year.

flock09, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  18. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i think they could give u compensation but now that ur data is gone all u can do is use a backup

Bohra, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  19. DoDo Me

DoDo Me Peon

Best Answers:
    Check them terms, normally I think most of redeeming will be a month free.
    Almost all hosting company will not give a dime for the data lost.

DoDo Me, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  20. Shagoon

Shagoon Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I don't think a free month of hosting would make up for the mistake they've made...

Shagoon, Feb 14, 2010 IP