1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Client Does NOT pay for Bug Fixing.

Discussion in 'General Business' started by dhana_space1, Feb 10, 2010.

Guys,

Most of you are here are Web Developers.
    Sometimes we have problems with client for billing and payments...i hope, most of you are handling this too.
    One of my client says, he is not willing to pay for Bug Fixing..So, I told him like...
    Bug fixing also part of Software Development.
    But he says, I can not pay for bug fixing.
    so what you guys do at this situation and how do you handle it, Please help me.

dhana_space1, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  2. KyleWhitey

KyleWhitey Peon

Best Answers:
    if you're releasing bug ridden products, then you're a bad web designer

KyleWhitey, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  3. kunnusingh

kunnusingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're not provide full details.

Bug fixing is a part of your project so you want to charge extra money?

Or if you're already complete project then you can charge money for bug fixing, adding function,etc

kunnusingh, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  4. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    ha ha ha ha...good one. I am not talking about 1 or 2 page website. I am talking about a portal, where it takes 6 ~ 9 moths for development... As i know, I have around 12 years of experience in software development, NOT only in Web, many other software.
    So, When we make a Cost estimation & milestone, Bug fixing is also considered.
    In many products, bug fixing accounts for around 20 ~ 25% of the total project development time/cost. Please share your opinion..

dhana_space1, Feb 10, 2010 IP
  5. Nathy

Nathy Active Member

Best Answers:
    Depends... are you working on an hourly basis or project basis. If it was hourly it would be at the extra cost for th time taken. However if it was project based I would have it included in the total cost.

Nathy, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  6. lcwadminbj

lcwadminbj Peon

Best Answers:
    Bug fixing is at your cost not the clients.

It is YOUR responsibility to provide a solution that works CORRECTLY.

Modifications, additional requierments not described in the contract are chargeable.

lcwadminbj, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  7. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you very much..and I expect others opinion too...
    Please some more suggestion or Views...

dhana_space1, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  8. Axus Technologies Inc.

Axus Technologies Inc. Peon

Best Answers:
    Well, here is what I do.

1. We start the development process.
    2. Deliver it to the client.
    3. Give him 5-6 days to go through it (Our server).
    4. Take the full payment and then only transfer it to their server.
    5. The above 5-6 days are enough for testing and if later they come with their issues, then I have one word, "ITS CHARGEABLE NOW".

P.S : Im talking about small software, which I know , wont take more than 2 days to test completely.

Axus Technologies Inc., Feb 11, 2010 IP
  9. dhana_space1

dhana_space1 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thank you, Thank you very much!!!!
    Please others add some more points...I am sure, this will be helpful for freelancers and others too.

dhana_space1, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  10. SmallPotatoes

SmallPotatoes Peon

Best Answers:
    I don't charge to fix bugs that are my fault, even if they're discovered years later.

But if a bug is a result of the client giving me incomplete or incorrect specifications (which is much more common), then I do charge.

SmallPotatoes, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  11. bpasc95

bpasc95 Active Member

Best Answers:
    To charge, or not to charge, for a fix. This really comes down to your business practices, IMO. When we engage in a contract for work, we define milestones and actions around those milestones. This also includes a formal Quality Assurance pass that must be accepted or rejected by the client within a defined time frame.

Thus, if a bug is found after the acceptance of the work, the fix could be considered billable. However, in our opinion, billing to fix work that should not have been broken to begin with is not a good business practice. I caution that statement, however, as some bugs are triggered by a change in some other portion of a larger scale development - a broken dependency. In those events, bugs that are triggered by a change upstream could be considered a billable fix since the bug was self-inflicted. We typically do not bill for this either as we perform regression testing on changes that can effect the global scope of the system. In our contracts, we define what is considered a bug and the actions that are required by us and the client to address such bugs.

What it comes down to is how you want to handle it. What is considered fair in your eyes may not be fair to the client and vice-versa. Think of how other businesses (outside of the web world) handle flaws. Obviously, a home builder will not fix a roof leak for free if you added your own skylight, but will fix it if its a product flaw. Perhaps you need to define a "warranty period" in which bugs are addressed at no cost.

My 2 cents from 10+ years of experience.

-Bing

bpasc95, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  12. joebert

joebert Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have a habit of fixing bugs that come up after I'm done even if they're not my fault. Often times any bugs I have to deal with are the result of development servers having slightly different configurations than production servers. They're usually easy to fix.

joebert, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  13. Yankee0306

Yankee0306 Peon

Best Answers:
    Maintence contracts handle most bug issues.

Yankee0306, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  14. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In this case,the developer need to fix it for free.
    This is due to the developer fault at the first place coz their develop script have problem.

mentos, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  15. inspiroHost

inspiroHost Peon

Best Answers:
    If a product is not delivered as promised, it should be fixed free of charge. It's just good customer service and will help you retain your clients and get more business in the long run. For dev jobs, we generally give clients several months of free bug fixing and product support before we start charging.

inspiroHost, Feb 13, 2010 IP
  16. rootbinbash

rootbinbash Peon

Best Answers:
    No1 including me do not pay for bug fixing. It is your code and your bug that is all. Create a buggy software and then charge for bug fixing. Bah

rootbinbash, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  17. Clive

Clive Web Developer

Best Answers:
    To me it sounds like lcwadminbj's words weren't exactly what you've wanted to hear
    but, in my opinion, that's how it should be if you charge on a per project basis.

Clive, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  18. denniss

denniss Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think it depends on only one thing - whether the situation is:
    1) you've delivered the product, the client tested it, accepted it first, then later came back complaining about bugs. In this case you have all rights to ask for additional payment.
    2) you've delivered the product, the client tested it, DID NOT ACCEPT IT, wants it fixed. Then you have to bring it working condition without additional charges, of course.

denniss, Feb 14, 2010 IP