1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Vbulletin 4.0 or Vbulletin 4.0 Publishing Suite

Discussion in 'vBulletin' started by Woodcs82, Dec 21, 2009.

1. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Um, yes, vBulletin was purchased by Internet Brands in 2007. Just this past summer, IB started becoming more involved, changing the website design, changing the name of the company to "vBulletin Solutions", and appointing IB employees/developers onto the vBulletin team. IB hasn't really taken part in development until 4.0. So, 3.8 is Jelsoft's work (quality++) while vB 4.0 is IB's horrible work, which has been run into the ground. Please see my post here: http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=13207719&postcount=52

IB has bought several homegrown auto communities, and totally destroyed them as well. It seems like they spoil everything they get their hands on. vBulletin is no exception.

Oh, and might I add, that ever since IB's takeover, 90% of the original vBulletin/Jelsoft developers have left. This includes Kier (former lead developer and all-around genius, great guy) and all of the other key developers, except two. It was shocking and sad to see them go.

NickR25, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  2. AshPC

AshPC Peon

Best Answers:
    I'd prefer vBulletin 4.0 as I find the publishing suite rather useless but the cost range aren't are pretty close so publishing suite would be a pretty nice deal.

AshPC, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  3. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I respect your opinion Nick, But i still like the new 4.0 vbulletin with the new IB team.

IMHO, i think they've done a great job. I dont think there is ANY Comparison between Invision and Vbulletin. To me Vbulletin is still the clear winner.

Why are you SO Against IB and Vbulletin now?

Personally i will wait to purchse VBulletin 4.0 because with anything new, there are bugs,,, this will always happen.

Woodcs82, Dec 26, 2009 IP
  4. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Well I'm sorry you are falling into IB's trap, but I wish you the best of luck.

I'm not against vBulletin. Only IB, who has destroyed the product.
    Not to this extreme! vB 4.0 has hundreds and hundreds of bugs, some of which have been around since ALPHA stages of the product. They are being brushed to the side, in an attempt to be ignored. Features that existed in 3.8 have been LOST and don't exist in 4.0. Who wants to go backwards? That's probably one of the biggest no-no's in software development, but even IB just doesn't get that.

Yes, bugs are normal, but in a gold release (such as this one), there should NOT be as many bugs as there currently are. Furthermore, they should have fixed all bugs in the queue before they released gold.

For those of you who don't understand the reasoning behind this: vBulletin is now owned by a publicly traded company. They now have stockholders to please, so the reason for this early release is for some last-minute sales for the year, and to stay on schedule. If they delay vB 4, then vB 5 will be delayed, which will then delay vB 6. It's all about money now, which is why the quality of the project has diminished.

I am so, so sorry for those of you who do not see the big picture here.

NickR25, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  5. Woodcs82

Woodcs82 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    So whats in the big picture for your Vbulletin forums? Will you be switching to another type of forum?

Also - Does anyone else feel worried about VBulletin? Is this all Hype?

-C

Woodcs82, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  6. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    NickR25, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  7. backlash4

backlash4 Peon

Best Answers:
    personally, i like the vb 4 suite. However the cost was a lot and that is why im selling mine now.

backlash4, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  8. Envy

Envy Peon

Best Answers:
    Does anyone know how the Vbulleting publishing suite has been received now that it's been live for a while?

I preordered but decided to wait with installing it since I wanted to see if it was an OK product with a future.

Envy, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  9. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you really want an answer to that question? It's a huge failure. Just look around (on vB.com and other sites like AdminAddct).

NickR25, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  10. Envy

Envy Peon

Best Answers:
    Well.. Didn't want that answer since I've already bought it but it would be even more costly to install a crappy CMS. I will investigate it some more, thanks for the tips NickR25.

Edit: Ok, with vb.com you meant vbulletin.com.. I've already checked there, but need to check some more. I would guess that site is biased..

Envy, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  11. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Most of the discussion on vBulletin.com is by users who are fed up with the product and generally resent it.

It's the most unbiased source you can find.

NickR25, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  12. Brandon Sheley

Brandon Sheley Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    I've been thinking about it and I would stay away from vbulletin 4.0 all together
    3.8 is a solid product, 4.0 is a disaster ;)

Brandon Sheley, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  13. -webmaster

-webmaster Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm staying with 3.8 as well. 4.0 is a joke.

-webmaster, Feb 5, 2010 IP
  14. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    is vb4.0 really worth upgrading ?? i was thinking maybe i should upgrade it.. but am doing research before actually doin it

Bohra, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  15. Brandon.Add.On

Brandon.Add.On Peon

Best Answers:
    It's worth getting and keeping an eye out on its production timeline waiting for the moment its streamlined. Buying the forum and putting it on an active site really isn't a good idea if you want a website will the least possible bugs.

Brandon.Add.On, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  16. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Did you read the posts above yours?

NickR25, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  17. Black Beard

Black Beard Peon

Best Answers:
    I dislike vBulletin 4.0 simply because of the style so I would stick with v.3.8.x

Black Beard, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  18. Bohra

Bohra Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    i did read those i was looking for opinions from te people who are actually using it rite now

Bohra, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  19. masud7827

masud7827 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I like Vbulletin 4.0 and don't like Publishing Suite, because i thing WordPress is gr8 for Blog and Joomla is for CMS.

masud7827, Feb 20, 2010 IP
  20. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    Plenty of us have tried using it. We aren't saying it sucks just because we want to.

NickR25, Feb 20, 2010 IP