1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too much fan noise from my PC

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by jamuna, Feb 11, 2010.

i am using three month old Athlon x2 250 based pc with zebronics biljee cabinet.
    For past two days, during startup i heard too much fan noise from my PC.After few mins or simply putting weighty object on the cabinet,the sound disappeared.
    what went wrong?
    any idea?

jamuna, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  2. tango007

tango007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just open the cabinet and clean the fan......try this if the problem is solved...

tango007, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  3. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    If applying pressure to your case stops the noise, the problem is most likely with the case itself, not the fan(s). The front bezel is normally the culprit here. The noise most likely results from your CD/DVD drive spinning up during startup, the vibration of the drive can eventually loosen components of the case. Try removing the case side cover and front bezel, and tighten any visible screws, including the screws which secure your optical and hard drives (don't overtighten though). Also double check the screws securing your case fans, if any of the fans are loose the imbalance can cause unwanted noise.

Otherwise, you'll pretty much have to keep a heavy object on the case, or buy a new case and swap the components.

JMel, Feb 11, 2010 IP
    usasportstraining likes this.
  4. ar.anandan

ar.anandan Peon

Best Answers:
    Just change the fan.
    i cost very low.
    now a days, the fans are coming into market with very low voice.recommended.

ar.anandan, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  5. zodiac

zodiac Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah,once you remove the cd/dvd the problem is gone. :p

fans that change speed depending on the temp. can start up fast when the computer is turned on then slow down.

zodiac, Feb 11, 2010 IP
  6. Mentalhead

Mentalhead Active Member

Best Answers:
    I have similar problem for year and so. It's my power supply unit it produces so much noise for 2-5 minutes when I turn on my PC. After that it gets warmed up I guess and it works perfectly. I had similar problem with my old power supply and I put some grease or oil into the fan, and it helped for a month or two.
    Oh yea, sometimes hitting of your power supply unit helps :D

Mentalhead, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  7. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    JMel's suggestion will probably solve it.
    One of my PCs has a door on the front that vibrates when all my fans hit a certain rpm, I just tap it with my foot and it stops.

Anyone interested in 'silent computing' should check out: www.silentpcreview.com (especially the forum)

It's absolutely worth a look if you're thinking of building a new system, or if you want to quieten your current computer.

Kerosene, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  8. rajesh.ejob

rajesh.ejob Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the correct solution to keep your computer noise free... Even after trying this and problem persist then change your cabinet mate...

rajesh.ejob, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  9. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    Sometimes drives will spin up regardless of a disc being present, especially if the boot order places it before the HDD. Removing any discs from the drive is still a good idea, though.:)

JMel, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  10. john_barrett

john_barrett Peon

Best Answers:
    Changing the fans solve the problem sometimes.
    It's about fan bearings...

john_barrett, Feb 14, 2010 IP
  11. grservers

grservers Peon

Best Answers:
    Just open the case and observe what causes the noice and the vibrations. Most of the times is related to a fan.

grservers, Feb 15, 2010 IP
  12. Project Mobius

Project Mobius Peon

Best Answers:
    go for liquid cooling then

Project Mobius, Feb 16, 2010 IP
  13. R.Watkins

R.Watkins Guest

Best Answers:
    Buy a new silent fan probably will have better airflow then your original one.

R.Watkins, Feb 17, 2010 IP
  14. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    If after a few minutes the sound dissipates, or putting a weighted object on the case eliminates the noise, then the problem is probably not a fan since your case fans run constantly. The problem is most likely your optical drive vibrating when it spins up (during startup for instance). An older optical drive that is out of balance or not secured properly can cause a significant amount of noise and eventually cause your case to make lots of noise. It does this similar to the way a loud speaker system in your car can eventually cause unwanted vibrations and noises. Over time the vibration will eventually loosen components in your case. Loose components + vibrations = noise.

JMel, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  15. RightMan

RightMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I am facing the similar problem with my office PC. It makes a lot of noise at start ups and eventually the noise dies down as I connect to net and start loading the browser and other applications. What could be the problem... if not the fan. Do I also have some loosely secured component in there? :confused:

Regards,

RightMan

RightMan, Feb 18, 2010 IP
  16. mukeshgbg

mukeshgbg Member

Best Answers:
    Try to clean up the fan and if it still makes sound then go to a hardware repair shop.

mukeshgbg, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  17. Sam.Lewis

Sam.Lewis Peon

Best Answers:
    I actually had this issue happen to me once before, and putting something on it fixed it. I checked it out, and there were wires for the cpu fan power that were hitting the fan, and when it was pushed on, they bent the right way to get out of the way of the fan. So just looking around in your case and seeing what you can fix should help the issue. Loose screws, all that, wires, anything that could be loose or get in the way of a fan.

Sam.Lewis, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  18. usasportstraining

usasportstraining Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    This is why I clean out the case and fans regularly. I tighten down screws, if needed, too.

usasportstraining, Feb 19, 2010 IP
  19. omarabid

omarabid Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    mine is 1 month year old. LG. Not a lot, but upsetting !

omarabid, Feb 20, 2010 IP