1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Storing XML data in MySQL database

Discussion in 'PHP' started by egdcltd, Feb 8, 2010.

Okay, I want to extract information from an XML feed hosted elsewhere, using PHP, and then add the information to a MySQL database. I'd be running the script automatically once per day I think, adding any new entries and updating one field in every existing entry. Although this last may work better being run as a separate script. Problem is, I know nothing whatsoever about XML so I don't know where to start.

Can anyone point me in the right direction please?

egdcltd, Feb 8, 2010 IP
  2. danx10

danx10 Peon

Best Answers:
    One possible method, is regular expressions.

danx10, Feb 8, 2010 IP
  3. jestep

jestep Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can easily write a script to parse it using simplexml. You can load the xml into an object / array, and then loop through and add to your database as needed. Put this in a cron script or create a manual upload or something similar to run it every week.

http://php.net/manual/en/function.simplexml-load-string.php

Use var_dump or print_r to debug the specific xml.

jestep, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  4. roy.laurie

roy.laurie Peon

Best Answers:
    Yup, SimpleXML or XMLReader if you're working with large files. Depending on your schema structure, you might consider just using a simple key,value,row id, file id for each value you insert into the MySQL db.

roy.laurie, Feb 9, 2010 IP
  5. egdcltd

egdcltd Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, XMLReader seems to be doing the trick. The file has over 1,300 entries, so I thought this way would be best.

egdcltd, Feb 12, 2010 IP