1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

2 questions about search results for "site:***"

Discussion in 'SEO' started by pher, Sep 1, 2006.

When doing a site search for my domain:

site:www.optionsbuddy.com

I get back around 600 pages. However, Google only displays 1 link, and the rest follow under the: "In order to show you the most relevant results, we have omitted some entries very similar to the 1 already displayed."

First question: How do I get Google to display more than 1 page? One of my main competitors has only 25 results when I do a site search for his url, but all of them are listed.

Second question: Is this even important? Should I bother concerning myself with this?

pher, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  2. stlgatekeeper

stlgatekeeper Peon

Best Answers:
    Its similar to an explanation of backlinks.
    Only relevant and countable information is displayed by the SE.

In fact, we just currently completed a project for a major poster here at DP and also at another forum whose top ranked website in G/Y/MSN suddenly started to tumble down in the serps. Their pages began to become discounted regarding the strength of their internal anchor architecture which rendered their site optimization completely impotent.

Hope you like to drink heavily ... because unless you know specifically what to do... the sky will be falling very soon for you.

Just my two cents.

stlgatekeeper, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  3. hooperman

hooperman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wonder if Google is using your meta description to determine that those pages are similar. I know that a lot of the omitted pages have got the same titles - could you ake them all different? For example if you search for "Learn how to use OptionsBuddy to screen covered call options" you get 18 pages all with the same title.

hooperman, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  4. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This hasn't been a problem in the past. Ever since I was indexed by Google, my site has been listed like this. The only difference is that instead of having 10, 15, 100, 200, I now have 600 pages.

It isn't affecting my SERP for my keywords. In fact, when checking my logs, I'm the number one link for some really odd keywords. I forget one in particular, but it was #1 out of 30 million results. And had absolutely nothing to do with investing. So, maybe I'm doing something right. :p

pher, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  5. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My title is dynamic based upon the content page. So, for my news articles regarding a stock, it changes to something like: OptionsBuddy.com - News headlines for COMPANY_NAME [SYMBOL]. Quote, options, articles, and analyst ratings all do the same thing.

I'll have to check the meta descriptions. I don't know if that's dynamic or not.

But, getting back to part 2 of the questions... Is this even a problem I should worry about?

pher, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  6. Scarface.

Scarface. Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah, i still don't know the difference between link: and site: when i do link:mysite.com i get 0 resualts but when i do site:mysite.com i get about 200.

Scarface., Sep 1, 2006 IP
  7. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If I'm not mistaken, link shows the number of external links to your site. I still have 0 links showing from Google. Site shows the number of pages indexed for your website.

pher, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  8. Double_Spyder

Double_Spyder Guest

Best Answers:
    This is a classic case of suplemental purgatory.

Double_Spyder, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  9. ketan9

ketan9 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google does not show all the backlinks. If you really want to see backlinks then try looking for siteexplorer.search.yahoo.com or msn.com. They provide reality more and accurate backlinks.

ketan9, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  10. pher

pher Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    What does this mean? Is this a bad thing?

pher, Sep 1, 2006 IP
  11. Scarface.

Scarface. Peon

Best Answers:
    ah. thank you. yeah i still have 0 from google too, but when i use a tool to show me its alot more than 0 lol.

Scarface., Sep 2, 2006 IP