1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

How much is a website worth, that's doing 1-2 auto sales per month?

Discussion in 'Appraisals' started by Smitten, Feb 4, 2010.

I was recently approached by a CB newly noob asking me to sell one of my websites that's already doing some sales on auto-pilot. I'm considering selling this one, it's been pulling in 1-2 sales ($24.90/sale) per month consistently for the last 4 months or so.

The problem is that I have no idea how much it's worth, since I have never sold websites! I'm thinking maybe $200 or something like that? Also, would I be better off just listing the website on flippa and going for a public auction?

If anyone can spare the time to analyze the website and give me an accurate estimative, I'll be much obliged!

Smitten, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  2. Ripped

Ripped Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You're looking at about 8x-12x the average monthly earnings.
    If you're earning a consistent average of 50$ per month, you're looking at 400-600$ .

Ripped, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  3. xrcv

xrcv Peon

Best Answers:
    About 10 months ahead, or 300-500$. However, I don't think anoyone will buy this site, because first of all, creating a site that makes 1 sale per month is easy and can probably be done in a few hours. Also, it's important from where you get your traffic.

If it's from articles it's probably worthless. I would much rather buy a site that is on the second page of google and makes 1 sale per month(Can push it to the 1st page and make 20 sales per month), than a site which get's 5-10 unique visitors from articles(Easily replicable, anyone can do it).

xrcv, Feb 4, 2010 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  4. marcusio

marcusio Peon

Best Answers:
    wow thanks for sharing your knowledge

marcusio, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  5. hamidap

hamidap Active Member

Best Answers:
    Articles:
    First of all the domain is poor - dashes and .info's don't go down particularly well with buyers.

It's only been earning for 4 months - the current market on Flippa doesn't pay 8-12x monthly earnings for a nearly new affiliate site (more like 4-6x). If it was earning $50 a month in adsense then the site would be worth more.

There may be more but I only see 2 posts. You'd need at least 6-10 posts of unique content to make the site sell.

How much traffic does it get & where does the traffic come from? If the traffic comes directly from the SE's then the site will be worth more than if the traffic was coming from article directories.

On running the site through Copyscape the current content doesn't come up as unique so that would definitely take from your sale price too.

I've sold alot of niche sites on Flippa and from experience I'd say the site is worth about $50-$150 in its current state. If I were you I'd add about 10 unique articles to the site, submit 10 articles to Ezinearticles (to boost the sales count) and then try to sell it.

hamidap, Feb 4, 2010 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  6. sashas

sashas Peon

Best Answers:
    the domain won't invite much action. If I were you, I would try to write more articles, get a new domain (preferably .com, without dashes) and then put it up for sale at Flippa with a low reserve of say, $47.

sashas, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  7. marcusio

marcusio Peon

Best Answers:
    why would he do that when he would make more than that just keeping hold of it for one months

marcusio, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  8. tonysanders

tonysanders Member

Best Answers:
    i thought the rule of thumb was 12x the sales per month. never knew that there was so much more to consider. thanks guys.

tonysanders, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  9. Smitten

Smitten Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Lots of good advice here!

I should have mentioned that traffic is 50% search (mostly oddball long-tails related to the CB product) and 50% articles. However, I haven't submitted new articles linking back to this website 2-3 in months, so I guess some of those articles I submitted back then are picking up search traffic as well. The website is getting something like 20-30 daily visitors.

Also, I agree that .info domain names with dashes are somewhat looked down on, but it was one of my early affiliate sites and I was still figuring things out. Although I figure it's a matter of buyer's perception, since I have had some success ranking .info domains, and my main blog does get a good amount of google love, despite sporting a bunch of hyphens in the domain name.

Anyway, I was more interested in knowing how much the website is worth than actually selling it. Thankyou @ everyone, for the feedback!

Smitten, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  10. Faclez

Faclez Peon

Best Answers:
    I would sell that site for 4x profit, considering there is hardly any content, and it's a .info with - domain. If you have any subscribers throw that into the auction and ya could raise the price.

Faclez, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  11. jacky8

jacky8 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah, nice info there. It doesn't take time for 1-2 sales to disappear. And yes, the opposite is true as well. It doesn't take much time to make something that can get 1-2 sales a month!

xrcv has a good idea about what kind of site he'll buy. By doing so, he'll get ready made old pages with all research done, so he'll just have to focus on building backlinks to get to the first page over a couple of weeks.

.info is not a problem though some people simply don't like it because its too cheap and easy to acquire!

If the site was earning via adsense, you could easily ask for more than 10x the revenue.

Now again if its search engine traffic, then it means that you have done much valuable work. On the other hand, if its from article directories, then who knows, the sales may stop any moment someone starts putting content for the same keywords at that article directory and manages to build links well afterwards.

Flippa will help a bit as there are more targeted buyers and you can get better visibility by featuring your auction.

You have already done the right valuation for your website. $200 seems to be the right amount. If you aren't ready to sell it for $200, just don't sell.

jacky8, Feb 4, 2010 IP
    Smitten likes this.
  12. ab420

ab420 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think that people are starting to get more comfortable with hyphens in domain names. It's very hard to get a decent .com domain name without hyphens now a days, and that's only going to become more true as time goes on. I would imagine the more this continues, the less people will discount .info and the others.

ab420, Feb 4, 2010 IP
  13. awl03c

awl03c Member

Best Answers:
    Aww cmon, you're making more than 1-2 sales per month on this. I've seen 3 in the past 10 days. Don't be bashful. :D

awl03c, Feb 12, 2010 IP
  14. BlogSalesman

BlogSalesman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    If you are getting 20 daily visitors - that's 600 a month, and you are only converting 2? Even with 50% from search, that's 1 in every 150 from search that you are converting. I would buy it ... do some testing and increase the conversions (and the traffic), and the site would be making the new buyer some decent money.

BlogSalesman, Feb 13, 2010 IP