1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Is Microsoft losing battle against Mac?

Discussion in 'Bing' started by FreeITRepair, Feb 1, 2010.

1. neo1211

neo1211 Active Member

Best Answers:
    I can't say I like Microsoft, because I don't.. (although I do use their Operating Systems) but that's merely because there's some software that just doesn't run on *nix - even with emulation.

However, it does seem like they're on the right track business wise.

neo1211, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  2. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    That's the same reason I don't run Windows. There's some software that just doesn't run on Windows.

drhowarddrfine, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  3. Chloe_Ferrel

Chloe_Ferrel Peon

Best Answers:
    Everyone i know is switching over to mac. It's awesome. They are more user friendly and overall better computers.

Chloe_Ferrel, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  4. Mystique

Mystique Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    However new macs offer the chance to switch their native OS to Windows, truly ironic!

Mystique, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  5. Chloe_Ferrel

Chloe_Ferrel Peon

Best Answers:
    Well yeah because some companies haven't made the bright decision to make their programs mac friendly so some programs require using the enemy. Can't be helped. But someday it will change.

Chloe_Ferrel, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  6. LemonHunter33

LemonHunter33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    they are not losing the battle. sure mac have been bringing out some nifty technology, however its only a trend. they are running low on ideas and arent progressing as much as they used to be, iPad is a good indication of this. its simply a big iPhone, but cant do as much as the iPhone.

Microsoft own most of the market, most programs and technology is built for windows based computers. Mac will always be around, but will never overtake microsoft, thats for sure.

LemonHunter33, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  7. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some years ago, having used both Macs and a PC, I chose to stick with Macs. All four of my adult children (who likewise have used Macs and PCs) chose to go with PCs. This debate will never be resolved.

Who is "winning" between Microsoft and Apple? The answer will vary, depending on whether you are an employee, a stockholder, a user, etc.

Jim4767, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  8. amnesia623

amnesia623 Active Member

Best Answers:
    In order for MS to come back, they need to give up on some things and focus on their operating system. If they gave up on bing, zune, and few other lack-luster items and focused solely on their operating sytem/office products they could come back.

Apple will never go away until Steve Jobs hands it over to someone else. Look what happened in the 90's when they dropped huge market share...

I like mac, run mac, and swear by macs. I might not be a mac guy if MS would concentrate on a couple of areas like their OS's.

amnesia623, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  9. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    and you will also be locked in to Apple hardware, Apple software, everything has to be Apple-approved before you can use it, as in the case of iTunes and App store.

Traffic-Bug, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  10. Jim4767

Jim4767 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    There's tons of 3rd-party stuff out there that you can use without Apple's approval.

Jim4767, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  11. Kunalbhatia

Kunalbhatia Active Member

Best Answers:
    You're referring to an iPod Touch/iPhone...the person you were replying to was talking about the normal computer.

Kunalbhatia, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  12. TheVccMatey

TheVccMatey Peon

Best Answers:
    If you're talking about the iPad, trust me. It's going to be huge flop. Who would want to carry a small slate around the place?

TheVccMatey, Feb 3, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  13. diggathedog

diggathedog Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm guessing the same people that'd carry around a smartphone and a netbook, and an e-book reader. Or any combination therein.

BEGIN ASIDE A big iPhone is not necessarily a bad thing - keeping it simple is a good strategy, given the power/power consumption ratio that you're tied to with a small product. It is exactly the thing I've been hanging out for for years - the "sit in front of the tele/on the bus/at the table" tiny "computer that isn't one" (being smaller, lighter, simpler and with near-instant startup). END ASIDE

diggathedog, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  14. Boogieman

Boogieman Peon

Best Answers:
    No .. :-? .. Macs are way too pricey ..

Boogieman, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  15. JMel

JMel Peon

Best Answers:
    If Microsoft continues with its recent curve of innovation, I have no doubt they will remain the world leader in consumer and business computing for a long time to come. However with a company that size comes great expectations, and only recently have they begun to show some real promise again. Hopefully that trend continues.

JMel, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  16. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    You're the second person who's said that. What has Microsoft innovated?

drhowarddrfine, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  17. YugoSlavac

YugoSlavac Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You have to face the facts, Windows is WAY cheaper compared to an Apple computer. Why would I pay close to 2 grand for a Mac when I can custom build my OWN computer that's FASTER than a Mac for cheaper? Mac is catching up with all their advertising, so their sales might be up.

Yugo,

YugoSlavac, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  18. LemonHunter33

LemonHunter33 Active Member

Best Answers:
    the ability to custom build windows based computers is what makes them more popular. there are a ton of computer stores everywhere that sell hardware for windows based computers.

Also look at it this way, apple mac sell macs, you find macs in a few different stores. microsoft have deals with major companies like Dell, Toshiba, ASUS, IBM, Acer and many others to get special deals on windows since they sell so many machines with this operating system. Apple is going to have to do something big to overtake microsoft. microsoft owns too much of the market to be just pushed aside so easily.

LemonHunter33, Feb 3, 2010 IP
  19. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    Because you have to build it, hunt down the parts, download drivers, make sure it all works together and, if it doesn't, you have to find out why. Apple guarantees it will.

20. drhowarddrfine

drhowarddrfine Peon

Best Answers:
    This is what you think is their goal but the guy who writes for the NY Times and wrote the book about Google recently (Aueletta or something) said Apple is not necessarily interested in dominating the market. They want to make the best product and feel the money will follow.