1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Bad SERP

Discussion in 'Google' started by Peter2009, Jan 29, 2010.

Our website url is www.samui-villas.biz. Our ranking by Google is alright for some search terms, except for the search term “samui villas”.
    Can somebody explain why we are rankeing so badly (SERP 82) for this search term even it is reflected in our domain name? Further it is in the title and in the description of the site. Any suggestion is highly appreciated. Thanks

Peter2009, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  2. Lex350

Lex350 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I know people are not going to agree with me but I had the same problem and I decided to drop the .biz and get a .com instead. So far the results have been very good with Google.

Lex350, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  3. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hmmm, but this URl is not as .com available anymore...;-)

Any other suggestions, what it can be...?

Peter2009, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  4. sunny.suresh007

sunny.suresh007 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Lex350 is right

sunny.suresh007, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  5. Abhik

Abhik ..:: The ONE ::..

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Yeah!! get a different .com. That'll probably solve the problem.

Abhik, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  6. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    I heard in the meantime from a lot of people, that it doesn't matter if you have a .com, .biz, .info, ect domain. This is again in contradiction to your answer. Anybody out there who can definitive explain how it works, or if domain end are important? Thanks s lot!

And how to get a .com, if they are not available anymore? ;-(

Peter2009, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  7. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    And why is this site ranking good for other search terms, even it is not a com??I only have this problem with the search term 'samui villas', which is very strange as it is in the URL.

8. ronmojohny

ronmojohny Active Member

Best Answers:
    it's because you don't have that exact phrase in your backlinks anchor text. Check them on www.backlinkwatch.com and you'll see what I mean. (the anchor text is mostly the phrase "Koh Samui Holiday Villas and Homes" over and over)

ronmojohny, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  9. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    I thought, that the backlinks text works the same like the description or title. So, that 'samui villas' is included in 'Koh Samui Holiday Villas and Homes'??

10. ronmojohny

ronmojohny Active Member

Best Answers:
    Google will give a little weight to similar anchor text, but there is some competition there, so get some links with the exact term you want to rank for.

ronmojohny, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  11. dimmakherbs

dimmakherbs Active Member

Best Answers:
    ronmojohny is correct. you will credit but partial credit. The 2 word keyword is going to be higher competition and Google will give weight to those with that exact phrase over the phrase you are using.
    You want to split up how your backlinks are coming in and not use the same phrase over and over.
    split them up like your title.
    ALSO 'samui villas' is not a direct matching phrase until the END of your title (which is beyond the cut off for the number of characters in your title description.) I would redo your title.

dimmakherbs, Jan 31, 2010 IP
  12. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    How long is the normal title length. I read different notes, from 70 - 110 characters. Which one is correct?? Thanks

Peter2009, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  13. jacquem

jacquem Guest

Best Answers:
    Yes...the fewer the keywords, the better it rank. So if you want to have rank high in "keyword, Google, SERP and have like...

This is my keyword phrase please Google rank it high on SERP then you will not rank high as opposed to

My keyword is Google SERP phrase.

jacquem, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  14. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jacquem...

sorry, I don't understand your post.

Do you mean, having only one or two keywords is better than having 10?
    Do you mean this is also regarding the title, so only using one or two keywords in the title?
    How about the discription?

Anyway, it still don't answer my question, why I am ranking so bad (now SERP 90) with searchterm 'samui villas' on my site www.samui-villas.biz and with other terms it is reanking on the first two pages with the same amount of keywords, description and title.

For example, 'samui holiday homes' ranks on place 17 (ok, also not soo good - but still better than 90!), even there is no 'holiday' and 'homes' in my URL, and these words are only in description and keywords.

So shouldn't be the term 'samui villas' be better as it is also included in the URL?

Ok, I understand, that 'samui villas' has a bigger competition...but 63 places difference?? :(

15. insighttechnicalsharetips

insighttechnicalsharetips Peon

Best Answers:
    u just need to cover that keyword in submission

16. coolseo36

coolseo36 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    For medium and highly competitive keywords, on page factors i.e. keyword in domain, title, description, H1 text etc doesn't matter much as thousands of other sites do the same!

First of all, make sure that your content is completely unique (not found elsewhere)...if its duplicate then that is the most likely reason of low rankings for main keyword.

Secondly, try building few quality backlinks with 'samui villas' as exact match in anchor text as suggested by many members...and give it a time to be picked up by Google.

If still the problem persists then it may be different issue all together...

'samui villas' seems to be a moderately competitive...but again, your .biz domain may be a barrier...Google definitely takes a TLD extension in to account...info and biz domains will take more than usual efforts to rank well.

Possibly, try n get a .com domain though not having 'samui villas' in it...'301' redirect your .biz domain to it...now try building few quality backlinks for that new domain with 'samui villas' and other keywords as exact match in anchor text...301 will maintain your current rankings/PR and overcome .biz barrier as well, forever!

Whatever you do, do it gradually or else it will get worse!

Hope it helps:)

P.S: I missed to notice the competition

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2010
    coolseo36, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  17. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Hi Jacquem...

sorry, I don't understand your post.

Do you mean, having only one or two keywords is better than having 10?
    Do you mean this is also regarding the title, so only using one or two keywords in the title?
    How about the discription?

Anyway, it still don't answer my question, why I am ranking so bad (now SERP 90) with searchterm 'samui villas' on my site www.samui-villas.biz and with other terms it is reanking on the first two pages with the same amount of keywords, description and title.

For example, 'samui holiday homes' ranks on place 17 (ok, also not soo good - but still better than 90!), even there is no 'holiday' and 'homes' in my URL, and these words are only in description and keywords.

So shouldn't be the term 'samui villas' be better as it is also included in the URL?

Ok, I understand, that 'samui villas' has a bigger competition...but 63 places difference?? :(

18. imkane

imkane Active Member

Best Answers:
    Like everyone else has been saying, you need to concentrate on BACKLINKS. And make sure the anchor text is the keyword you're targeting, "samui villas". ;)

Everything else about your site looks good, the last part of the equation that you're missing is backlinks. You can stop worrying about the domain, keywords, description, and title of your home page.

To answer your last question...
    A big reason you're ranking better for other keywords is because of the competition. Search Google for "samui holiday homes" (in quotes) = 10,200. Now search for "samui villas" (in quotes) = 37,500. There's also the "strength of competition" (how many backlinks your competitors have, if the keywords are used in the page URL and title, etc.) which is more difficult to measure manually...it helps to have an app like Micro Niche Finder.

FYI - the keyword you're after gets < 1000 monthly searches globally. You sure you want to waste your time?

PS. Don't listen to the people telling you to buy a .COM. It's a (bad) rumor that different TLDs affect SERP. There's plenty of .INFO and .BIZ sites ranking high for competitive keywords.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2010
    imkane, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  19. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    oops..mistake...double post.

Hi Dexter, thanks a lot for your help.

"'but again, your .biz domain may be a barrier...Google definitely takes a TLD extension in to account...info and biz domains will take more than usual efforts to rank well."

Why does Google make such differences with TLD's? Isn't .com (commercial) and .biz (business) not the same?
    Does Google also prefer a 'not so good' site with a .com domain over a 'very good' site with .biz domain.

"Possibly, try n get a .com domain though not having 'samui villas' in it...'301' redirect your .biz domain to it...now try building few quality backlinks for that new domain with 'samui villas' and other keywords as exact match in anchor text...301 will maintain your current rankings/PR and overcome .biz barrier as well, forever!"

Does this mean, the .com domain doesn't need to have samui villas included?
    The problem is, that .com domains with samui villas are not available any more.

Regarding backlinks, I have around 700 in Yahoo (competition has around 300) and Google counts 40 (the competition has around 20).

I asume you mean again the correct anchor text for the backlinks, or?

Thanks & regards

20. Peter2009

Peter2009 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks Imkane,

was writing while you replied.
    So some questions answered.

How about the lenght of Title? 70 or 110??