1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Credit Card Payments in Australia

Discussion in 'eCommerce' started by ORiN, Jan 26, 2010.

I am introducing my product to Australia and would like to know if there are any other reliable alternatives to PayPal in terms of accepting credit/debit card payments. I find that the fees PayPal is charging is quite substantial and the exchange rate is pretty bad despite the advantage of not paying an annual fee.

ORiN, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  2. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    I live in Perth, Western Australia and to my knowledge there aren't any alternatives. But don't just take my opinion, look in to it on Google. We do have a bank payment method called BPAY. Not sure if that is any help.

TimothyJohn, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  3. ORiN

ORiN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    BPAY appears to be more of a bill payment service. I am looking more at something like eWAY but preferably with lower fees.

ORiN, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  4. saurabhj

saurabhj Banned

Best Answers:
    I'm having many e-Commerce website clients from Australia and most of them are using eWay as a payment processor to get the payments from Credit card so you can check that out.
    http://www.eway.com.au/

Hope it helps...

saurabhj, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  5. TimothyJohn

TimothyJohn Member

Best Answers:
    eWay, I've never heard of it. Yea i though BPAY might be for bills lol. Just Google eWay alternative and if you don't get any valuable results, then it's probably your only option besides paypal.

TimothyJohn, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  6. sefu

sefu Peon

Best Answers:
    If you want to use eway you need to get a merchant account with an Australian bank first

sefu, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  7. hhsaus

hhsaus Active Member

Best Answers:
    Will you be registering a business down here, or you plan on selling to Australian customers directly from Singapore?

If you are going to be selling from Singapore, why not look into a merchant account with your local bank? They are probably cheaper than PayPal, and would give your customers a choice.

If you are going to set up a business here the only competitor to PayPal is Paymate (3times lower fraud rates than paypal, but higher fees). Or you can apply for a merchant account with one of the banks, and get a third party payment gateway (such as eway - for safety reasons i personally never recommend real time payment gateways, instead i prefer manual payment gateways - have a look at e-path.com.au).

If you are going to operate from Australia, it is also worth considering giving your customers an option of paying through direct deposit (online banking) and BPay (while it is mainly used for paying bills, it is also used for online purchases - it costs very little and funds are deposited to your bank account the same day).

hhsaus, Feb 2, 2010 IP
    ORiN likes this.
  8. ORiN

ORiN Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Your advice basically covers all my questions. I think I will explore the option of a local merchant account with a local bank for now.

ORiN, Feb 7, 2010 IP
  9. ophius61

ophius61 Peon

Best Answers:
    hm maybe i was living Australia i can help you

ophius61, Feb 10, 2010 IP