1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A Cool Idea for Offline Tech Advertisement!

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by setset, Feb 1, 2010.

Ok, so I was playing with my Mytouch 3G and the barcode scanner app. I was think about the different ways I could advertise my blog. Then I thought of a cool way to target a tech demographic. Use a QR code! So what I am going to do is purchase lots of stickers and place my advertisement on "hip" hot spots.

I am going to target places like Starbucks, electronics stores, bus stops, etc. These stickers are going to be cheap but I have to spend a bit extra from lamination as I want them to be weather proof.

I can imagine it from a user's point of view. "Cool a QR code I can scan!" Right now, these things are so cool, people will enjoy scanning them.

Attached is a shameless code I made. I added a title just to entice scanning. Tell me what you guys think. You can scan this QR code with the "barcode scanner" app on the Android marketplace and I know the Iphone has a version of a QR scanner.

This is my self-help blog and it is in no means perfect for this neat method. I can only imagine if one of you guys have a tech related blog or website. That would be wicked cool!

KOS.png

setset, Feb 1, 2010 IP
    sarahk likes this.
  2. yoes_san

yoes_san Peon

Best Answers:
    Hm is QR code that popular now?

I'd think it good if your site sell QR-related products, you get a targeted traffic then.

yoes_san, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  3. jackeyman

jackeyman Peon

Best Answers:
    Good Idea. You should have a try. You can't know the result without trying.

jackeyman, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  4. music legend

music legend Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thats an awesome idea. curious people will be scanning those things like crazy

music legend, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  5. setset

setset Peon

Best Answers:
    I've already ordered of lots of stickers. I think this form of advertisement adds some interactivity. Only those with a smart phone would be able to see the message so it is definitely targeted to those people. And plus, it gives people the option to scan it. I don't have any tech blogs yet but I will still experiment with it. It also takes some "spam" aspects away. It's not exactly like posting your site on benches and expecting people to write it down. They will have the url on their phone and can visit it from there instantly.

setset, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  6. vivideye.ca

vivideye.ca Active Member

Best Answers:
    so you're going to stick these weather proof stickers with permanent adhesive with permission from them?

vivideye.ca, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  7. setset

setset Peon

Best Answers:

QR codes are the new bar codes. Essentially, they are 2 dimensional bar codes that hold lots more information.
    For example, when you scan my code, it reads:

Knowledge of Self
    http://knowledge-of-self.com
    "Knowledge of self is like life after death. Apply it, to your life, let destiny manifest." - Talib Kweli

I know I made a typo in "your" I wrote "you" but you get the idea. I can see a lot of people being creative with this. I've even tried putting a URL to rick roll people!

setset, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  8. setset

setset Peon

Best Answers:
    weather proof just means rain resistant. You know, the stickers with a gloss over them. No, I am not going to ask for permission. These stickers are going to be small. I won't be destroying property. Some Starbucks even have a community bulletin board where people can post want ads and lost pet flyers. Permanent adhesive? Now, they won't have super glue in them. They're just stickers. You know those stickers you post on your notebooks when you were young? Those kinds. Not some military grade stuff.

setset, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  9. vivideye.ca

vivideye.ca Active Member

Best Answers:
    Just making sure. Well best of luck and let us know how it goes.

vivideye.ca, Feb 2, 2010 IP