1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Your costliest marketing mistake?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by weblaunch, Feb 1, 2010.

What's your costliest marketing mistake? Please share.

weblaunch, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  2. NecessaryInfo

NecessaryInfo Peon

Best Answers:
    Google. I wasn't online for a few days and my account was unbelievable. Hundreds of dollars and not one sale.

NecessaryInfo, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  3. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    emarketing when I should have been phone bashing - not so much costly as a total waste of time

1associate, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  4. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    My costliest mistake was a few hundred dollars put into AdWords. I had no clue what I was doing but thought it was as simple as paying Google to send me traffic without any real keyword research, landing page testing, proper product consideration, not setting a reasonable limit on daily and per click, and just about everything else you could do improperly when paying for traffic. I still have a bad taste in my mouth from that experience, now years later, and am just glad that I didn't have more than a few hundred dollars to waste at the time. My stupidity of jumping in, thinking I would be successful after reading an info product (very little real good info, just alot of crap to hype you up and fill your head with highly unrealistic expectations) on making money with Google AdWords, is something I hope to never repeat or replicate in any other area of my life.

mhovingh, Feb 1, 2010 IP
    rockyg likes this.
  5. AndyO

AndyO Peon

Best Answers:
    ebooks! I've bought a few over the years to read when I'm bored and they're all the same oversold crap people have paid content writers to write for them, without any substance, quality information or techniques. I genuinely believe there's nothing you can get from an ebook that isn't already in the public domain on blogs and/or forums. I've since realised ebooks sell dreams rather than reality.. Hard work, solid research, studying and evaluation of results gets you there... Those squeeze pages worked!

AndyO, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  6. JacobNeldson

JacobNeldson Peon

Best Answers:
    AndyO, I'm not sure I entirely agree with your blanket statement. While it's true that a lot of people use the ebook setup to get people to buy info they could get other places, the whole idea of a high quality ebook from a source you trust is that you KNOW the info you're getting is good.

I don't randomly buy an ebook, but when I already know and trust an author who has written an ebook, I'd be much more likely to purchase the book. It simply comes down to a time-saving calculation. Yes, I might be able to sift through the internet and eventually come the the bottom of the matter, but why bother? Sometimes the $5 or less I spend on an ebook saves me hours of research, during which time I earn far more than the $5 I lost on the book.

JacobNeldson, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  7. mhovingh

mhovingh Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Don't get me wrong because I have come across some ebooks that have been very valuable but the advice in the quote above is worth alot more than most of the ebooks I have read over the years. I would put extra emphasis on "evaluation of results" because all the concepts, ideas, and techniques you can come up with are worthless until you put in the time and effort researching, fine-tuning, and testing to discover what they are actually worth in terms of dollars and cents.

mhovingh, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  8. wildogre

wildogre Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I bought an unlimited hosting package after research i found there were better options available.

wildogre, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  9. mzib

mzib Peon

Best Answers:
    Focusing too much on SEO and not enough on my users and site content. That is a killer. I had high google ranks but my users were leaving due to lack of content and activity.

mzib, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  10. rockyg

rockyg Peon

Best Answers:

+1

lol, you said exactly what I would have written. I think there's probably thousands like you that started off adwords the very same way.

I haven't gone back to adwords since. Instead I've focused on content and getting natural links. It works, albeit slowwwwwwwwwly. Some day I'll try adwords again, but I sure as hell won't be jumping in with two left feet :D

rockyg, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  11. Titing Kabayo

Titing Kabayo Peon

Best Answers:
    same here but that happened 3 years ago... PPC is my worst enemy..

Titing Kabayo, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  12. mousee

mousee Active Member

Best Answers:
    My greatest and the most stupid mistake was when I mixed the numbers in the phone number of my company while printing a lot of offline marketing materials. It was terrible to spend hundreds on hours while changing the number on all the ads...

mousee, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  13. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Paying THOUSANDS of dollars for a freelancer and continual updates over the course of about 3 years. End result: the freelancer quit the business and I was screwed with no further support or updates, and had to move the entire site over to a new CMS. Totally learned my lesson after that experience.

Pixelrage, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  14. CashQue

CashQue Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Yep.. adwords. $800 lost in one night. Had no clue what I was doing, and paid a steep price.

CashQue, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  15. Pixelrage

Pixelrage Peon

Best Answers:
    Ouch. Well, I've seen people blow more than that on the Roulette table.. just trying to make you feel better :D

Pixelrage, Feb 1, 2010 IP
  16. yoes_san

yoes_san Peon

Best Answers:
    Adwords and paid banner - lose like $250 with zero sale in return!

yoes_san, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  17. richardfletcher007

richardfletcher007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Agreeing to pay a freelancer without seeing their work first.

Costly error.

Also not nailing down the requirements specifically enough in Rentacoder first.

richardfletcher007, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  18. richardfletcher007

richardfletcher007 Peon

Best Answers:
    Oh and leaving my adwords account running for a week and forgetting to check it!!!

Didn't make that mistake again...

richardfletcher007, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  19. jabickel1974

jabickel1974 Peon

Best Answers:
    ...Fortunately, the rough draft of the articles were already written and we had only paid half down. We just had to revise most of the articles and have our own webmaster implement to the site.

jabickel1974, Feb 2, 2010 IP
  20. seawind

seawind Active Member

Best Answers:
    my costliest mistake is no good rank in google

seawind, Feb 2, 2010 IP