1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

To all "Are directories worth it?" -type thread starters!

Discussion in 'Directories' started by alistair80, Jan 30, 2010.

Hello everyone,

I notice this more and more people asking similar questions in the Directories forum. Most of their questions confusingly similar...and many happen to answer their own question in the opening post itself ;)

Questions and statements like "are directories worth it these days?", "SEs hate directories!", "I receive no traffic from directories", "Directories are waste of money"...are becoming popular in this section.

Yet nothing can be done because we are here to advice and help each other with any queries others might have. But there is a difference between those asking for genuine advice and those who seem to be "directory haters".

To those that happen to start the type of threads mentioned above, my simple advice would be to relax and reflect for a while on any or all of the 5 questions below:

1)Why do SEO companies, webmasters, site owners STILL pay for directories? They all must be silly nuts, ey?

2) If I happen to know the answer to my question, why go to the Directories section and put it as a query anyway?

3) Am I a failed directory owner and jealous of other directories that seem to generate revenue?

4) Do I really have to have it out with the directory owners because I havent seen no site improvement in the SERP after paying that guy 10 bucks who submitted my site to 1000 directories? (And all those confirmation emails?)

5) Is my penis enlargement site not big enough to fight with my competitors?

Thank you for your time.

Fellow directory owners are most welcome to share their views on this!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    alistair80, Jan 30, 2010 IP
    Snowblind1 and wwws like this.
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Some of the ones asking the daft questions have links to web directories in their sig, often i have typed out a long reply before i realise ive just been mugged for 5mins of my time and end up just posting what i typed up for them anyway.

Some of the people must be sent here.
    Some must be the very new naive webmasters.
    Some are clearly past directory owners, left bitter.
    Some must be doing it just for the lulz. :)

Why the hell though can i not ignore these people? :eek: I feel compelled to reply in these endless threads, the stupid questions make me want to reply, but afterwards i think why have i bothered?

Maybe (i know others are doing this already) we should ignore all of the threads in this section, alistair80, fastreplies, myself i noticed us three are here recently, still replying to the junk threads here.

How about we just stop for a few weeks, just for this section, dont report anymore misplaced threads or anything (which im usually doing) just see what happens, how messy will it get.

It will save us time too. :)

pipes, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  3. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:

This happens to me a lot on DP I read an OP type a response go to post it and realize the OP is just link spamming.

Err... waste of time.lol

averyz, Jan 30, 2010 IP
    pipes and Ibn Juferi like this.
  4. YMC

YMC Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've been wondering why you and the others have continued to be kind to these folks. If this forum was moderated properly, there would be a sticky at the top and these ridiculous repetitive bashing and/or self-promotional threads would be deleted.

I used to answer these threads so that they would not be left unanswered out there on the web. But, then I realized that anyone falling for their BS isn't really in my target demographic in the first place.

I've found myself more and more looking to see who started the thread and if I "know" them see what they are talking about.

As for the SEO company buffoons, anyone who takes a moment to research their company will find these threads and realize that this so-called expert they're about to hire either 1. doesn't know squat or 2. wants to rip them off for a service they don't believe in.

YMC, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  5. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Yeah i think it becomes such a habit to carry on answering them, what you do yourself YMC is a good idea, seeing who has started the thread first and whether its worth even looking inside the thread.

pipes, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  6. EdcNation

EdcNation Member

Best Answers:
    A lot people forget that web directories still can bring quality traffic to our websites. I mean isn't that our ultimate goal? I would rather get a lot of traffic from web directories, than be ranked high in Google for worthless keywords that no one searches for.

EdcNation, Jan 30, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  7. swedal

swedal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Why indeed? I have long since given up being compelled to answer anything here. Seems to me that 90%+ of the threads here are nothing but spam in one form or another and I just don't have the time to waste sorting through it all to try and help people. Too bad really that a certain crowd has to ruin it for everyone though.

Great point YMC and there are places that do just that - where spam is not tolerated. That is where I find myself lately.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2010
    swedal, Jan 30, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi and pipes like this.
  8. averyz

averyz Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is the way I feel about DP.

Almost every time I try to give a decent answer and help someone it turns out to be just another link spammer of someone trying to sell something or what ever is the lasted nickel dime scammer crap on DP.

Decent discussions are few and far between in this place. It is like a giant spam posting board.

To be honest the only reason I look at threads here is because I get tired of reading technical stuff and want to take a break.

averyz, Jan 30, 2010 IP
  9. longcall911

longcall911 Peon

Best Answers:
    DP boards have certainly changed over the past few years. Call me a conspiracy theorist, but I believe G was behind it, at least initially. Put enough SEOers together and they'll figure out everything G is doing. How does G combat that. . . create noise where SEOers gather and drown them out. If SEOers can't communicate, they will give up, and go away.

If this theory is true, G has succeeded. The core group of professionals that built DP's reputation are long gone replaced by the most unprofessional, rude, illiterate spammers you'll find anywhere. But I keep coming back. . . :)

/*tom*/

longcall911, Jan 31, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  10. rmeeuwsen

rmeeuwsen Peon

Best Answers:
    I too find this forum a nice place to go and add my own 'illiterate' opinion.
    It's a break from 'real' work.

rmeeuwsen, Feb 1, 2010 IP