1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Help starting new business

Discussion in 'General Business' started by SHO, Jan 27, 2010.

I would like to start a new internet business either using ecommerce or a monthly subscription services. I have money to pay for the site to be built and get it going. My real question is what should I sell? I am looking for ideas on products I could sell through the site. Any recommended drop shippers? I am looking for this business to make over $100k in revenue after the first full year in business. This wouldn't e my first business just my first internet business.

SHO, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  2. paradigmad

paradigmad Peon

Best Answers:
    Way to set high goals, it might be tough getting started and reaching your goal if you don't have an capital to invest into your site.

Try searching around to find a product/niche that is really converting right now.

paradigmad, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  3. Frostx

Frostx Active Member

Best Answers:
    As paradigmad said, make sure you know your topic well enough to really make it work! I'd suggest using googles keyword tool

Frostx, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  4. Barefootsies

Barefootsies Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I have always preferred the membership business model myself. But I guess I would find something I was interested in, and could monetize with a decent profit margin.

Good luck!

Barefootsies, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  5. jonko

jonko Peon

Best Answers:
    Pick a buisness you love and are interested in,maybe your hobby or something? this will help alot in the long run

jonko, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  6. mezner

mezner Peon

Best Answers:
    maybe do an export/import business? I've been looking into starting an ecommerce shop selling coffee beans from Guatamala. Haven't looked into it a lot yet, but it's just an idea I'm throwing out!

mezner, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  7. HuggyStudios

HuggyStudios Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I think you need to start small so you can get some experience, then as you get better and know more you can move on.

HuggyStudios, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  8. argon

argon Peon

Best Answers:
    Many people will say pick a business that is related to your hobby, but I think pick a business that makes money!

Market research is the key to successful business. Do not go into business just because you "think" it will work but go into a business that you"know" will work. Otherwise you are wasting your time.

When contractors build a tower block it takes as long if not longer to build the foundations as it does to build the tower.

Strong foundations keep the tower standing.

argon, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  9. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    Start off with some blogger.com blogs and join Google adsense. You can have upt to 200 blogs there fress of charge. Join article publishing sites and drive traffic to your blogs by adding links in the articles. I doubt you'll make what you expect in your first, second or third year but this model will not cost anything and you will collect sufficent data on what pays and what does not and from there - who knows?!

1associate, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  10. SHO

SHO Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes I have capital to invest in this project, I run a firm during the day and this was going to be a hobby site with a friend of mine. I want to do something ecommerce but where do you find the best dropshippers? import/export sounds interesting but where do I find the products? I do like a membership model since it is reoccuring.

SHO, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  11. mentos

mentos Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    You can sell electronic product such as mobile phone.
    My ecommerce site getting lot of order for google nexus phone right now.
    Although the margin is depend on the price you get from your supplier though.

mentos, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  12. automarketting

automarketting Peon

Best Answers:
    I agree with jonko start a business with your choice which keeps your intrest going forever with it.

automarketting, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  13. FavouritesBlog

FavouritesBlog Peon

Best Answers:
    Sell something that you see a unique demand for, and also something that interests you :)

FavouritesBlog, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  14. thebloggerstore

thebloggerstore Member

Best Answers:
    Hello,
    Well I think your goal od 100k is a long shot unless you have a very bid investment in marketing and seo.

Steve

thebloggerstore, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  15. ahuddy

ahuddy Peon

Best Answers:
    Take your existing knowledge from the physical world and apply it to the internet. The easiest way to get started is with something you already know about. Don't throw too much money at your first project as it will be a learning experience.

ahuddy, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  16. kennycannon

kennycannon Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, forget about doing something you 'like' or a 'hobby'. Emotion means NOTHING. Business is about numbers and numbers only.

Remember these few things. 1. How many people NEED it? 2. How many people have the ability to pay for it? 3. What are they willing to pay for your solution? 4. How much does your solution cost to make? 5. How much does it cost to get your solution in front of enough people to make it profitable?

Forget about keywords and all that other stuff. The most successful people online and off concentrate on solving a problem. Take a simple issue and present a solution.

A friend of mine recently came out with something for the Kuerig coffee machine. The machine is great but the coffee gets expensive. He created a dishwasher safe, reusable top for the 'K-Cups' so that you can reuse the cups with your own coffee. Saves on cost, it will last a lifetime, and it only costs about 75 cents to make.

He's working with a lawyer to get the patent on it and is also working with one of the best Info-Merical producers in the business.

He ignored the common 'internet knowledge' of keyword research, SEO, PPC and all the rest and just stuck to basic business principals. Solve a problem, have a market, and price the product right to leave room for profit.

kennycannon, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  17. chuckster43

chuckster43 Peon

Best Answers:
    I believe kennycannon has a point, but seems a bit "hardened" to the process. He is 100% correct that it is a "business" and you have to treat it that way. However, if you expect to make that kind of money the first year, you are going to have to put yourself into it pretty heavily.

I would say that you will have to be "emotional" about it to succeed. My best advice would be to try something that you are excited about, not just a product, and try it on a small test type setup. It's real easy on the internet to hit "between the boards" and lose your rear end off just cause the "timing" is off.

Good Luck!

chuckster43, Jan 28, 2010 IP
  18. SHO

SHO Peon

Best Answers:
    I like this thinking thanks for your imput

SHO, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  19. Dancingbulbs22

Dancingbulbs22 Peon

Best Answers:
    first you can take a bussines or a content that you really know and that make u interrested. so , u will not get bored when developing it. so it will keep grow in the quality and quantity.. so u can get more traffic everyday, wich mean more money too

Dancingbulbs22, Jan 29, 2010 IP
  20. etronixmart

etronixmart Peon

Best Answers:
    My suggestion is to build up your own website. That will let you make money. Since you had stated before, you have money, and then you need time. Operating a website is a long time to go. You can make a research on Google or other search engin and see what products you are interesting in- I do not think interesting is what you like but it should bring you money in business world. Then you can pick up some good website. You can study them, and make out your plan.

Yes, dropship is not a bad idea. But do you know how to find out a good supplier? There are more information on internet that inform you how to pick out a good dropshipper. But that is only words. You should walk out your first step. I do not think you can find a good dropshipper if you think that you understand them. Just try to find.

The third choice is to begin your business on Ebay, ioffer and other anuction website. Since you are new in business world, people will not know you and your products. Then this time you need a platforms that has much traffic. Ebay or ioffer or other big anuction will bring this traffic to you. But remember that you should create your own shop that is different from others'. The price, pictures, products description... you should learn and be patientance.

OK, if you think that you have enough enegy, then you can operate your own website, ebay, ioffer or dropship together. But you need to find men to help you. Or create your team. One man can not do more. Team will be a big power.

Hope you can success. Good luck.

etronixmart, Jan 29, 2010 IP