1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Good value for SEO?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010.

I used an SEO firm from here who said they could get my keyword to 1st page on Google. In our discussions, they recommended a keyword based on the highest level of visitor numbers per $ spent. At all times our understanding was that traffic was the aim.

In fairness they did get me to 1st page but visitor numbers amount to 3 per day instead of their estimates of 1,000-2,000. I am of course disappointed as it involved a large amount of money.

Have they fulfilled their part of the deal?

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  2. blued

blued Active Member

Best Answers:
    It really depends on the search term, who your competitors are, the meta title and description you are using, whether this was a country specific estimate or worldwide and most importantly where you are positioned on page 1.

As a rule of thumb, go here

https://adwords.google.co.uk/select/KeywordToolExternal

change .co.uk part of the link to your country.

put in the keyword and check number of searches per month in your country / world

If this suggests that sort of search volume and they have you on page1 then they have technically done what they said they were going to do. You can always try and push them for a bit more though ...

blued, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  3. AdvertLabs

AdvertLabs Guest

Best Answers:
    to know more precise number of clicks/visits from a position for a keyword you should do a simulation by placing adwords ads and spending some money to see how much traffic it gets.

AdvertLabs, Jan 27, 2010 IP
    wounded1987 likes this.
  4. pwslinks

pwslinks Member

Best Answers:
    I believe they did for the fact that they have made your site rank on the first page as what seo is really concerned to. But for the number of traffic I guess it's out of the issue.

What is you're keyword? How competitive is your keyword, btw?

pwslinks, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  5. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here is the proposal I received.

"Keywords: russian english translation
    Current rank: 253
    Competition: 16M
    Goal Rank: Top 10 guaranteed
    Timeframe: 4-16 weeks
    Price: $1985 (with $200 off to start with)
    Expected Hits: 1,000-2,000 / day"

His reply to my complete disappointment at only receiving 3 hits a day was that I should go and learn more about SEO.

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  6. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Here was my request.

"Can you come up with 5 variations that don't conflict that have the most hits and we could begin with the 1st one, and then, as a preset target is reached with that one, commence the 2nd one etc on a rolling out basis? Also, a price for all 5 which I'll give to you if we can agree a benchmark for both inital target and final success.
    My 2 concerns are choosing someone wrong and going down the wrong road vis-a-vis the wrong keywords.
    Yours
    Hi Tiernan"

As I knew very little about SEO I asked for a strategy that would give me the most hits. And was told that all 5 keywords would give me more than the estimates in fact. He now says it's Googles fault.Bad information from them.

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  7. pwslinks

pwslinks Member

Best Answers:
    Are you targeting local or all territories?

8. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I hope all

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  9. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    I receive more hits for many other un SEO'd words. All dissimilar to the original keyword so not "being carried"

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  10. pwslinks

pwslinks Member

Best Answers:
    Your keyword is find. I guess the seo company did their job perfectly. They only promised 1st page not 1st position so you can't expect much traffic for your site. User would already find what they want when they click on #1 site. Tell the seo company to beat your #1 competitor and that would be another contract probably. :)

11. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes, these are claims now made by him, but very different to the claims made BEFORE I agreed the deal. I do feel mislead.
    The latest claim is #5 and it will be super although at #7 there are only 3 visitors

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  12. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I don't see a perfect job when someone estimates 1000-2000 and after that you get only 3.

Micromag, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  13. Tiernan

Tiernan Active Member

Best Answers:
    Yes,
    My feelings are that at least a proportion of the estimates should be reached. It currently is less than half of 1%.
    They were certainly part of the "sales pitch". Both as quoted above and in other conversations.

Tiernan, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  14. pwslinks

pwslinks Member

Best Answers:
    This is very disappointing fact for that large amount of money spent.

15. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would collect proof of your current results (3 hit/day) and write a letter to them demanding all your investment back. I don't see how they would not refund you after a so huge difference.

They are a serious company? What they provided you for your money: a professional SEO report or what? What kind of actions they asked you to improve your ranking?

Micromag, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  16. marcusdelomoro

marcusdelomoro Peon

Best Answers:
    First off, you can not guarantee traffic. I agree with Blued on this one. It all depends on your keyword and how Google ranks your keyword.

That being said, if the sandbox tool tells you it had 1,400 queries for that keyword during the last month, and you're on the first page for that keyword,then rest assured the SEO company has done their part. They just put your site link in front of 1,400 eyeballs.

marcusdelomoro, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  17. searchaspects

searchaspects Peon

Best Answers:
    First, you need to ensure your keyword space is valid. I'm abs certain that when people type in 'russian english translation' most people are looking for a free online translation app, and they find it. You may try using description language to "lure" those users to your site. This way you may get some residual traffic.

Also, the ad words tool is not an accurate guage of traffic for keywords. It's a vague approximation that includes all rationales for the search terms.

searchaspects, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  18. areguy

areguy Guest

Best Answers:
    Your goal should not the most hits, but the most unique visitors. A hit is generated when any file from a page is served. If I have a page with 27 images on it, it may generate 28 hits - 27 for images and 1 for the page.

areguy, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  19. pwslinks

pwslinks Member

Best Answers:
    Im referring this to the first page position deal. Actually the estimated amount of traffic is unrealistic basing on the volume of searches for that keyword and the to think his website is not on the #1 spot.

20. searchaspects

searchaspects Peon

Best Answers:
    I should add that this will decrease your visitor conversion rate, because people will not necessarily find what that are looking for, but you might see some residual effect.

searchaspects, Jan 27, 2010 IP