1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

A domain name question

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Seventeen17, Jan 26, 2010.

Hey guys, i'm currently planning my first website and since it's my first attempt at a website i'd like to use free hosting an domain names. If i use awardspace for my hosting (no ads) and a .co.cc domain name will my website be considered worse by the search engines? The niche i have in mind isnt particularly competetive but it's something i'm quite worried about.

Also, if i use the .co.cc domain then later decide to buy a .com domain for my site would the site with the new domain replace the .co.cc version on google or would it be considered to be duplicate content?

Seventeen17, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  2. Micromag

Micromag Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You'll need to make a 301 redirect from old domain if you buy a domain to avoid duplicated content

Micromag, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  3. abuzar345

abuzar345 Active Member

Best Answers:
    My suggestions is not to use free hosting or domain. As I used these ways before one year but i could not get success. If you really want to do some experiment then use blogger. Its very good for SEO and its totally free. Plus after purchasing your domain you can redirect your blogspot to your own domain by using custom domain option in blogger.

abuzar345, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  4. Monopuff

Monopuff Peon

Best Answers:
    a 301 redirect tells google that the domain has moved.. You won't be penalized.. Just like Micromag said

Monopuff, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  5. Seventeen17

Seventeen17 Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys, i'll consider the blogger idea but my only concern is that i'd prefer my site of have a website 'feel' to it instead of being lik a blog since i have ideas for pages but it wouldnt be the type of site that i would add a new article to on a regular basis.

I had a quick search of the 301 redirect thing but could someone explain in basic terms what it actually does and how it works?

Seventeen17, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  6. trosquin

trosquin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Shell out the $10 and buy a .com domain! Dont be cheap....if you are serious about making money with your site then man up!

trosquin, Jan 26, 2010 IP
  7. semutbiz

semutbiz Peon

Best Answers:
    hi guys, is that true if using .info will be a bit slower to get indexed by google?? .com is much faster right? because what i've done so far was using .com and it took me within few days to get indexed, but when i tried .info, it's been 2 weeks my .info not indexed on uncle google's search engine.

pls share ur ideas on these 2 domains, ty

semutbiz, Jan 26, 2010 IP