1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Too much spam comments on blog....how to reduce?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by chemicalinck, Jan 23, 2010.

I currently have around 3 to 4 blogs running. I am getting too many spam comments from a lot of people selling stuff unconnected to the websites. However i do not want to make the blog a nofollow blog(meaning i want my viewers to comment and update their web site information). How do i reduce this spam? Please advice!

Thanks in advance,
    Sid/chemicalinck

chemicalinck, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  2. sachin410

sachin410 Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    sachin410, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  3. chemicalinck

chemicalinck Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes i am, but these comments are still pouring in. I am sure these are bot comments as i am not getting any revenue whatsoever and receive easily around 20~30 spam comments a week!!

chemicalinck, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  4. Tony Marriott

Tony Marriott Peon

Best Answers:
    If you are running askimet and it is configured then the auto bot spam should be captured and blocked. it works very well. i have around 20 blogs using Askimet and it filters it all out. If you mean Askimet is not filterig out the spam then it may not be working properly. If you mean you want the spam to stop coming at all then basically you can't.
    You could also check settings/discussions/Comment author must have a previously approved comment which means you will need to approve everyones first comment or they don't get through.

Tony Marriott, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  5. vrktech

vrktech Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    You can also use a captcha for comment submission to prevent auto commenters

vrktech, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  6. SuburbanDollar

SuburbanDollar Peon

Best Answers:
    I run the "Cookies for Comments" plug in on my blog and it keeps pretty much all SPAM at bay. It requires cookies to be enabled for someone to comment which prevents auto postings by bots since there is no way to store a cookie within the bot. Even if you have good luck with aKismet you should check it out because it keeps the SPAM queue pretty empty.

SuburbanDollar, Jan 25, 2010 IP
    chemicalinck likes this.
  7. crazyblogger

crazyblogger Active Member

Best Answers:
    Akismet should do the trick. I also have 2 dofollow blogs and I am getting similar amount of spam. Akismet has caught all of them and I also moderate my comments before publishing. Just use Bulk Delete option on spam comment. I never bother to look at comments caught by akismet as spam. This will save a lot of time.

crazyblogger, Jan 25, 2010 IP
    chemicalinck likes this.
  8. Techxpot

Techxpot Peon

Best Answers:
    Techxpot, Aug 5, 2011 IP
  9. Terra

Terra Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    Activate akismet, cookies for comment and add captcha. I installed them it reduced the spam comments greatly.

Terra, Aug 5, 2011 IP