1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Work-For-Hire Agreement Questions

Discussion in 'Copywriting' started by keithjameslock, Dec 27, 2009.

Hey everyone,

Hope your holidays are going well...

I want to hire a U.S. writer (or perhaps a U.K. or Canadian writer) to write articles for my site... and I want to create a work for hire agreement before hand.

My questions...

1) Is there a way to digitally sign them or do they need to be faxed or mailed?
    2) Is there a special agreement necessary if I live in a different country than the writer?
    3) Can you point me to a template that would suffice?

Any other suggestions you can offer would be appreciated.

Thanks!
    Keith

keithjameslock, Dec 27, 2009 IP
  2. DocuMaker

DocuMaker Active Member

Best Answers:
    Not to sound crass or anything, but allowing an established 3rd party to handle all of this stuff for you is easier :-o Any popular freelance site will do, however I'm sure you can guess which one I recommend.

DocuMaker, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  3. gvannorman

gvannorman Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    gvannorman, Dec 28, 2009 IP
  4. pixie dust

pixie dust Peon

Best Answers:
    1. I've signed at least two of these NDAs myself and I used e-mail to communicate with my clients. My US-based client found it okay to just type my name on the "signature" portion. My Singapore-based client insisted that I paste a scanned image of my actual handwritten signature on the document. (This sounds a bit scary, yes, but my client did the same and we each have a copy of the agreement which includes both signatures.)

2. I don't know any special agreement that's "required" if the client and provider come from different countries.

3. The link given by gvannorman looks good.

Good luck!

Last edited: Dec 29, 2009
    pixie dust, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  5. keithjameslock

keithjameslock Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot guys

keithjameslock, Dec 29, 2009 IP
  6. amarventris

amarventris Peon

Best Answers:
    go to namepros or dnforum where trader ratings really matter.
    Also, make sure you check the newly changed Paypal country to country fees and limitations.

Last edited: Jan 1, 2010
    amarventris, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  7. jhmattern

jhmattern Illustrious Member

Best Answers:
    If you want to hire a US writer, make sure you understand the requirements for work for hire agreements in the US. The rights from something a US writer creates won't transfer to you unless you meet those requirements (having the agreement in writing is only one part -- when working with independent contractors, the work also has to fit into a narrow and specific group of types of work). You can visit www.copyright.gov and search for "work made for hire." They have a .pdf that lays out the basics for you. It might be easier to stick to hiring within your own country so you don't have to worry about differences in copyright law. But if it's created here in the US, the writer's covered by US laws until everything is signed, changes hands, etc. To hire internationally with this kind of agreement, you're probably better off hiring a lawyer with experience in such things.

jhmattern, Jan 1, 2010 IP
  8. Otillier011

Otillier011 Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    I also had a similar experience with one of my US-based clients. I just submitted to her a scanned copy of the NDA with my signature on it.

Otillier011, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  9. keithjameslock

keithjameslock Peon

Best Answers:
    hmmmmm.....

keithjameslock, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  10. NightWriter

NightWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    ...if they are much of a writer.

The contract is not highly enforceable most of the time. But, it will set forth the responsibilities and expectations on both sides so there is no confusion about it - that's the main purpose.

If you're having a big project done, it will detail how much and when you are to pay the writer before the work proceeds.

It will state how payment is to be made and to whom.

- Angela

NightWriter, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  11. NightWriter

NightWriter Peon

Best Answers:
    Here is a sample of what a work for hire agreement might look like:

Letter of Agreement

Angela Kaelin, Writer and Editor

www.writersfasttrack.com

P.O. Box 872, Branson, MO 65615-0872 (XXX) XXX-XXX

Letter of Agreement

As promised, I have set out below a description of the services that I, Angela M. Kaelin will provide to you ­, together with our agreed upon fees.

I will provide the following services: [Description of your required services.]

My fee for these services will be as follows: $ ______ via PayPal or Money Order.

Payment Terms:

50% down payment due before project begins

Last payment _____due as final invoice, end of project.

Deliver Terms: [Method and time parameters of delivery.]

Copyrights: [Sets for the the ownership of rights on original work performed by the contractor.]

If you agree that the foregoing is in accordance with your understanding of our mutual responsibilities, please sign a copy of this letter in the space indicated below, and e-mail it back to me. If you'd like changes made, let's chat!

Yours sincerely,

Angela Kaelin

Client Name: _____________________

Client Signature: ____________________________

NightWriter, Jan 25, 2010 IP