1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

CMS for a pet profile site?

Discussion in 'Content Management' started by Pinoguin, Jan 25, 2010.

Hi,

I've been deciding to choose between Drupal or Joomla for this new site... but having no experience from both of them makes it difficult to get started, I have these requirements:
    - users can add pets under their name (multiple pets) and these pets can have their own profile

(all other requirements are for forums, news, calendar, gallery, etc - should be easily attained by both cms)

For drupal I have heard of this cck module that customizes user profiles.. perhaps I can add custom fields there for their pets but how about multiple...? I dunno... For Joomla I couldn't find one in google but I've seen several sites running joomla with pet profiles, I do not know what they use or if it's custom...

Help please?

Pinoguin, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  2. robertnille

robertnille Peon

Best Answers:
    robertnille, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  3. Pinoguin

Pinoguin Peon

Best Answers:
    Do you have anything specific to suggest that has the features I need? ... I've narrowed it down to drupal and joomla because of community support and the functionalities are pretty much covered *except for one thing - the pet profiles

4. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    I think that's a wise choice picking between Drupal & Joomla!

AFAIK Drupal currently has better user profile management but Joomla! 1.5 does have CCKs (Content Constructor Kits) that may be of use/interest to you. Check http://extensions.joomla.org/extensions/news-production/content-construction

If you do move to Joolma! 1.5 do bear in mind that Joomla! 1.6 will be out at some time and it might be best to investigate what's available for 1.6 either natively or in upcoming extensions.

Sorry I can't be of any further help but I though that might help point you in the right direction :)

Lever, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  5. Pinoguin

Pinoguin Peon

Best Answers:
    Many thanks, I guess both has cck's hmmm =/ I may have to test both and see which fits with my project

Lever likes this.
  6. Lever

Lever Deep Thought

Best Answers:
    It's more than a little bit time-consuming to have to test but at least you'll be better placed to know what works best for you.

Good luck and let us know how you get on :)

Lever, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  7. Pinoguin

Pinoguin Peon

Best Answers:
    Mission accomplished ;) CCK solved the problem with views and views attach module to stick the pets to the user's profile

Pinoguin, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  8. sfraise

sfraise Peon

Best Answers:
    I run a chat site and use Joomla with community builder to run the profiles.
    You can see an example of it at http://www.oohya.net/sfraise/
    I like it, does everything that I need it too and I like the tabbed layout for comments, friends, photos, videos, etc.
    I use an extremely beta plugin, almost alpha for the user to be able to customize the style of their profiles similar to what myspace lets you do though not nearly as comprehensive.

sfraise, Jan 27, 2010 IP
  9. becomeme

becomeme Active Member

Best Answers:
    becomeme, Mar 10, 2010 IP
  10. JoeOFarrel

JoeOFarrel Member

Best Answers:
    here is an example of a german cat lover site. http://www.catmunity.com/ - for some inspiration :eek:)

Its built on phpfox. If you're going to create a site with profiles, video's and photos, a solution like phpfox will save you the trouble of using joomla or drupal. It comes with a price though..

JoeOFarrel, Mar 11, 2010 IP