Listing your directory to your directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by alistair80, Jan 23, 2010.

hey there,

I have seen some good directories do that. Is your directory listed in itself? I leave the one more "possible" quality backlink question aside :D

alistair80, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  2. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I dont see the point of doing it, tbh.

Similarly i dont see the point of listing google, dmoz, goverment sites etc, like the public cant find those or they actually need the backlink? :confused:

pipes, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've not done it either but I can tell you many directories (and some good ones) have done that. I believe it's the owner's discretion to list ALL sites that he considers important to be part of the Index. As far as listing government sites goes, I have seen some good directories do that too...it could be a way to enhance the "value-add" of the directory itself and not necessarily the sites being listed.

4. diaz

diaz Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont see any good point or use for that

diaz, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  5. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Lets try to find what is the point ;)

Google's crawler will crawl directory and pick up links regardless because as far as crawler concern,
    it doesn't care if your or gov. sites in that Index and WMT clearly says that.

As far as Google concern, a link is a link no matter where it comes from and if your directory passes
    link to Google then why not to give to G. what it wants. Your own directory as good as any site you list
    and I don't believe you have to be shy about your own site.

Granted listing Google or DMOZ is kind of useless but other than that... everything goes.

My 2c.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  6. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Kind of hard to ignore those sites if you're trying to build a useful resource. I prefer to list credible and trustworthy sites over others when building out a category. I don't look at it as "promoting" the site when I add it.

I'm not sure why it would be beneficial to list a directory in itself, and really see no reason for it.

CReed, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  7. DPrice

DPrice Peon

Best Answers:
    I would have to agree, I too see no point into it other than possible and internal link. I have also noticed this being done in some of the directories, I guess one can only know when they do it themselves. As far as the effect it may have, I'm not sure any with come of it.

DPrice, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  8. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Just in case you have missed it first time around

So, why don't you check WMT to see if there are links placed in your site to your own site listed in
    Links to your site Section?

:rolleyes:

fastreplies

9. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If they hope that they will somehow be immune or similar then its highly unlikely.

Giving a backlink, or trying to give one, to a site that doesn't need one, isn't really necessary, it even looks lazy, deperate and unsure, like the owner couldn't be bothered to seek out some new unique sites and are unsure of what they are really doing.

pipes, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  10. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I've hardly been an active directory owner lately but when I started by real estate directories I sourced a couple of entries for every category I created. I figured it was a free directory and I wanted it to look good from day 1 so it needed content. I wouldn't list Google (that seems crazy) but I did list Government departments when I found them.

sarahk, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  11. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    With a niche directory i can understand this, especially if your listing something from those sites very relevant and thats helpful for visitors to that niche directory.

Ive added sites myself to one of my directories especially, but steered away from the very obvious, an example would be categories where i just dont get paid submissions, like the forums category, so ive added them myself.

I dont even list some of my own sites in my own directories and they are sites on different servers, different countries even.

Listing my directory within my own directory would be nuts, listing google is equally as nutty to me.

Im sure i listed the FSA (Financial Services Association) in one of mine, i feel this is acceptable, although a gov site, its focused at least, and not like im listing gov sites for each category.

pipes, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  12. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    The real question: does adding link to your own directory harms your directory overall value or not?

So far I didn’t hear any factual evidence that says it does. Personal taste is bad substitute for a fact,
    which I’m surely if I can would like to hear.

fastreplies

13. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think it would look odd to the search engines and feel that anything that they see as odd can lead to problems, things like that and interlinking, heavy nofollow use etc, if it hints at manipulation and looks unnatural then it cant be good.

pipes, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  14. sarahk

sarahk iTamer Staff

Best Answers:
    I doubt the search engines could distinguish between a "directory link" to your home page and a "logo link" to your home page - except that on one page there would be the second link.

For SEO purposes I doubt this is worth consideration.

sarahk, Jan 23, 2010 IP
    Anonymously likes this.
  15. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Thank you Sarah, that was exactly what I'm saying.
    Crawlers are blind when it comes to who they are crawling.
    All they know is how to recognize links if they stumbled upon one
    and that is as much as they ever going to care about.

One thing is for sure, it won't heard your site SERP ;)

fastreplies

16. sippsin

sippsin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Well you Ask other Quality sites to get listed in your Directory and if you dont list yours what does that mean :D :D :D

Anyways, You can do it. There is no harm. And it is again a link back to your main page. If you check Google Webmaster tools there is a section called Internal Links.
    Google does appreciate an Good Internal Link structure so that the bots can crawl easily.

sippsin, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  17. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd suppose internal links would mean how interlinked (link structure) and navigable the pages of your site are and not really anything to do with getting listed in your own site :)

Last edited: Jan 23, 2010
  18. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Exactly my point.
    We have 2 different subjects that shouldn't be placed in the same basket.

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  19. phyza

phyza Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    There is no harm to list your directory in your directory so yes you can do it even if there is no use but still it will not harm your directory so no risk of doing that.
    Thanks
    PHYza

phyza, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  20. an0n

an0n Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I've listed my own directory within itself, however, I am a developer, and it's strictly for developmental purposes.
    I most certainly wouldn't use a paid submission to 'test' and 'develop' with, that's for sure.

an0n, Jan 24, 2010 IP