1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

White hat link wheel

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by Magazine man, Jan 22, 2010.

I am planing to create a link wheel on blogger blogs.
    I want to make this link wheel "white hat" and use my existing gmail accont and adsense accont. I have read the TOS for blogger and have not found anything specific about link wheels. I am planning to use unike and usful information on all blogs. I am not planing to use a "money site" to drive traffic to, but use a small amount of adsense on all blogs. Is there a risk for google to destroy my accounts if I have to many?
    According to the blogger TOS this is what they see as a spam blog:

Spam takes several forms in Blogger, all of which can result in deletion of your account or blog. Some examples include creating blogs designed to drive traffic to your site or to move it up in search listings and posting comments on other people's blogs just to promote your site or product.

In a way a link wheel will move the pages up in search listings, but the way I see it is not manipulation if the blog have useful information...

Am I running a risk starting this link wheel?
    (I know It will take a enormous amount of time to write content, but I am planing a long term approach)

Magazine man, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  2. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'll address a couple of things here..

First, having a link wheel that consists only of blogger blogs is practically useless, sonce only ONE of the links from Blogger will provide any SEO benefit. I recommend using wordpress, squidoo, weebly, etc.

Second, unless you promote each spoke in your link wheel, building lots of one way, do follow backlinks form quality relevant pages with strong PR, for each site in your link wheel, then it passes no SEO benefit at all to your hub, or target site. The link wheel by itself does not provide much SEO benefit at all.

Third, as long as you have unique, useful information on your blogger blog, and you link to your hub only once or twice, then you should be fine.

selectsplat, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  3. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'd have to agree w/ most of what selectsplat said except for "only ONE of the links from Blogger will provide any SEO benefit." I disagree with people who think that only one link from a site carries any weight and the other links from the same site are ignored. Having SEOd a large PR7 commercial site for years, I've seen multiple links from the same site (even the same page) boost rankings for lots of pages on my site. But that's another discussion. Hell, I've seen multiple links from the same page (header, breadcrumb, footer) with different link text pointing to a single page on the same site help that page rank for multiple keyword phrases.

Also in the case of blogger and wordpress.com sites, each blog is a different subdomain and therefore treated as a different site, so even if there were some rule in their algo that said ignore all but one link from a domain, it would likely not apply. But it WOULD look better/more natural, likely be more effective, etc. to mix up the location of your pages as selectsplat indicated.

As selectsplat said, for it to be effective you then have to build inbound links to all of the satellite sites that promote your central site. That time could likely be better spent simply promoting your main site.

I would add also that there is no such thing as a "white hat" link wheel. It is gray hat at best. A link wheel is a linking scheme whose sole purpose is to manipulate the SERPs... in other words, a violation of Google's Webmaster Guidelines. So their is risk involved...

Canonical, Jan 22, 2010 IP
  4. selectsplat

selectsplat Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    At the risk of taking us down a bit of a tangent, if all things are equal (pr, number of outbouns links, etc) don't you think that multiple links from the same root domain, i.e. blogger, are worth less than the same number of links spread across multiple root domains?

'Practically useless' might have been too strong, but 'less effective' I think would still apply, wouldn't it?

selectsplat, Jan 22, 2010 IP
    Jim4767 likes this.
  5. Canonical

Best Answers:
    Perhaps... Perhaps not... It depends...

In the case of Blogger and Wordpress.com blogs, if ever there was a reason to treat subdomains as separate sites, surely this is the case. If uhaul.com, jobs.uhaul.com, reservations.uhaul.com, etc. are all treated as separate sites and they are OBVIOUSLY owned by the same company, surely millions of blogs living on separate subdomains of Blogger and WordPress.com whose content is written by millions of different people would be treated as separate sites.

I do agree that there are times where multiple links from the same domain are likely discounted... but I think this happens mostly for site-wide templated links like footer links, blog rolls, etc. But even in the case of site-wide templated links, they carry much more weight than just a single link. If you have a 100 page site, then they might not carry 100x the weight but surely I doubt if it's counted as only a single link. A lot of people believe you only get credit for one simply because that is one of SEOmoz.org's ranking factors in their mozRank.

But if site A has a contextual/non-templated link on one of its pages to a page on Site B... and Site A also has another contextual/non-templated link on a different page pointing to another page on Site B (or hell even the same page on Site B), I doubt very seriously if it gets discounted at all.

Canonical, Jan 22, 2010 IP
    selectsplat likes this.
  6. Magazine man

Magazine man Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks for good answers:)
    Personally is suspect G for giving more weight to Blogspot blogs than other blogs, simply beacuse Google owns blogspot. I have seen one of my own Blogspot blogs get high in rankings in my home country without making to much effort to get there. Is it still black/grayhat if the linking is natural and relevant, as well as relevant content in each blog? Google has no rule on how many Blogspot acconts you can own(as I have seen anywhere)..

Magazine man, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  7. Canonical

Best Answers:
    Natural links are links that other webmasters create pointing to your site because they view your site as an authority, valuable resource, or something that might be of interest to their sites' visitors.

If YOU are placing links on other sites pointing to your own site, regardless of whether you own them or someone else does, then those are unnatural links... Blog commenting, forum signature links, article submission, etc. are all examples of unnatural linking.

Creating a link wheel using relevant sites is another form of unnatural link building. Unnatural link building is fine, but building a link wheel is a linking scheme and does violate Google's Webmaster Guidelines (pay special attention to the Quality Guidelines section. It "can" get your site penalized if some one (like a competitor) reports you or if Google figures it out via some automated method.

Canonical, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  8. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Link wheels stopped being effective when people started posting in forums how great the were. Google are smart enough to work it out.

Agent000, Jan 23, 2010 IP
  9. sultanofseo

sultanofseo Notable Member

Best Answers:
    link wheel and white hat just dont get along togeter. what you are doing is a creating a netowrk of web 2.0 pages linking each other in an attempt to boost your PR or link popularity. basically link wheels are pretty much same as link farms and we all know google penalizes link farms if caught. it is just a matter of time google sees through it

sultanofseo, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  10. pdesigns

pdesigns Peon

Best Answers:
    One method however is to actually begin on a link wheel but to not actually make it "full-circle". Keep the link wheel a little broken so that not ever spoke is connected to the next spoke.

pdesigns, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  11. ajaygolani

ajaygolani Peon

Best Answers:
    Create blog on different sites, you can also use wiki pages for creating link wheel.

It will provide you much benefit than creating blogs under single provider.

ajaygolani, Jan 24, 2010 IP
  12. u4mee

u4mee Banned

Best Answers:
    The very thought of creating a link scheme is not white hat. I must concur. Total waste of time.

u4mee, Jan 25, 2010 IP
  13. Janus410

Janus410 Peon

Best Answers:
    Are linkwheels comfirmed ineffective? Or is this spectulation?

Janus410, Jan 25, 2010 IP