1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Thinking of only using my laptop to remote into my desktop 24/7, smart idea?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by dpatel304, Jan 18, 2010.

Not sure if my topic title was clear enough.

Basically I need a new laptop, and was wondering if I could buy a cheap netbook, and simply use my laptop to connect to my desktop. I haven't really had much experience with remote desktop software, so I don't know how good it is, but I do use my laptop for several hours a day so the software does have to be good enough for vigorous use.

I am currently a student and work part time and will be using my laptop primarily to:
    - surf internet (shouldn't really need to remote in for that)
    - program (should be able to easily run any compiler)
    - use virtual OS software (will most likely be running some form of Linux virtually)

If anyone has any experience doing something similar to this, please let me know. If the remote software is effective enough, it seems like a great option. This way, I can get a cheap laptop that can do everything I need and have a much longer battery life than the more powerful laptops.

dpatel304, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  2. LineNoise

LineNoise Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you going to be doing this over the LAN or over the internet?

I RDP into my house, on an idle connection 768k up, if I try and load a picture it takes forever and hangs the connection. Flash kills and lags it out so bad as well.

I know someone who sat on their couch and RDP'd into their desktop over their wireless g network because they were too damn lazy to get off the couch. she used photoshop and did all kinds of things. I wouldn't use those over the internet.

LineNoise, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  3. Kerosene

Kerosene Alpha & Omega™ Staff

Best Answers:
    I use UltraVNC from my netbook over a WiFi LAN to connect to my main desktop. BUT, I really only use it to copy files, pull up old emails, move stuff around, etc. And I really only do it "because I can". Even on a LAN, the lag is noticeable. It's tiny, but it's there. I couldn't possibly work remotely unless it was an absolute emergency. Even basic coding is a pain to do remotely, especially on such a tiny screen, with tiny keys.

That said, I love my netbook for what it is. Unlike every other laptop I've owned, I actually carry my netbook with me everywhere I go. Which means I actually get to use it... Email, code editing (php,html), WP posting/admin, and really basic image editing. Anything else can wait until I get home.

Kerosene, Jan 20, 2010 IP