1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should an admin's name be on a forum?

Discussion in 'Forum Management' started by ferrari353, Jan 18, 2010.

Okay I'm just curious, for forum owners, do you think their name should be admin or owner or something like that? or just a nickname of whatever they want. I looked it up and couldn't really find much. I found one thing where a guy said he had 2 users, one named admin to give bans, lock topics, etc. administrative stuff, and he had another one with just a regular name to just like post in topics and be active in his forum, but they were both admins...heres the link: http://www.forumdr.com/should-you-post-messages-as-admin/9/

This is purely opinionated, unless you have factual reasoning....Then it's not.

ferrari353, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  2. matik

matik Peon

Best Answers:
    People keep the name "admin" so people can easily identify him as the owner of the site.

matik, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  3. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Leaving the admin user as an admin is a fairly bad security risk as everybody knows it exists. We normally suggest to our users that they elevate a silly looking user account (ie Margret Smith) to the admin level, drop the admin down to a normal user or even one without any status, and don't tell anyone.

Wordpress users are going to chant the "Hiding isn't security" but I've yet to have a forum hacked while using that method while most of them monitor tens if not hundreds of attempts against the admin account every day. And some of them have been able to get in only to discover that they can't do anything.

theapparatus, Jan 18, 2010 IP
    Qryztufre likes this.
  4. ferrari353

ferrari353 Peon

Best Answers:
    well even if the name is just a nickname, it would say admin like under it or somewhere and people would still know its admin.

I'm not exactly sure what your saying here...what do you mean when you say drop admin down to normal lvl?

5. etc

etc Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    maintaining an admin name can actually be the target of sql injection. name it after your forum say in the digitapoint theres a user named digitalpoint :D but the guys suggestion with two accounts is also good.

etc, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  6. ferrari353

ferrari353 Peon

Best Answers:
    yeah.....but mantaining 2 accounts is a hassle....and I'm lazy....and somebody told me as long as I keep the forum up to date, It probably won't get hacked.

7. redfulong

redfulong Peon

Best Answers:
    @theapparatus I absolutely agree. It's too big of a security risk to leave it admin.

redfulong, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  8. ferrari353

ferrari353 Peon

Best Answers:
    how is it a security risk? I still don't understand how it could be a security risk...

9. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Because hackers are going to try to guess that account's passwords. They assume that the admin account is going to have "root" access to the site so that's the one they go after.

If you drop the admin account down to a lower level of access, if hackers get in, they can't do anything.

theapparatus, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  10. Agent000

Agent000 Prominent Member

Best Answers:
  11. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    That's not intelligent security.

A better level of security would be to simply change the admin directory name and htaccess password the login. You don't need 2 accounts.

Besides that hackers use sql injection which would circumvent easily your attempts to hide the username of an admin. One sql query and they get it.

Security has to make sense.

RectangleMan, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  12. Hatemaker

Hatemaker Peon

Best Answers:
    htpasswd and changing the admin directories are your best bet for security. As for the admin's name it really makes no difference, I tend to change it to my personal username.

Hatemaker, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  13. LachyTV

LachyTV Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest that you should not relly on a name change for any security at all, what I would suggest is ban the usernames like admin ect... so that no users can try to trick anyone.

LachyTV, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  14. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    If I had a nickle for every time some said that & then got hacked...

Maintaining two accounts is not all that much of an issue. Keep your userID=1 as your own name and post with it... just make it so that it's not an admin.

When you need in the ACP log into your other account. It's not that much of a hassle...and is really easy when you use one account with IE and the other with FF... that way ya can log in both at the same time ;)

Qryztufre, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  15. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    You must be a wordpress user. See above.

Please review the thread. We're discussing the use of the admin account, not general security.

theapparatus, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  16. RectangleMan

RectangleMan Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I have used wordpress but most well written modular software allows for admincp directory to be renamed as anything.

And I did review the thread. The OP is asking about the logic of 2 accounts both with admin access. You're the first guy to say it's for security and my reply is a direct rebuttal.

Don't be upset because I am more intelligent and experienced than you. If you think having multiple accounts with different permission levels is security then you just haven't caught on to reality.

RectangleMan, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  17. Qryztufre

Qryztufre Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    In many ways the use of the admin account IS general security.

Qryztufre, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  18. thehobboy

thehobboy Guest

Best Answers:
    Try, naming it the name of the Board

thehobboy, Jan 20, 2010 IP
  19. masterrio

masterrio Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I would prefer keeping an authoritative name with a friendly mix in it

masterrio, Jan 21, 2010 IP
  20. NickR25

NickR25 Peon

Best Answers:
    This is just plain silly and worthless. You can't hide the admin account; hackers are going to figure out which account has administrative access. Whether it be by searching for members with the highest post counts or seeing who posts announcements and such within the community. It doesn't take a genius to figure out.

I've never understood having multiple admin-accounts. It's really unnecessary and unhelpful.

First of all, hackers do much more than "guessing account passwords". If that's all it took, then anybody can be a hacker.

Secondly, if a weak password is the issue, then here's a genius idea: Use an obscure password such as "faka@emeTr=2u8ed". Don't you think that might be a better idea then creating a second account "just in case" yours gets hacked? :rolleyes:

NickR25, Jan 22, 2010 IP