1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Commission Junction Text Links

Discussion in 'Commission Junction' started by GTech, Apr 1, 2005.

I have a web directory where, like most directories, I have a format of:

Website Title <--anchor text with a href link to site
    Website general description. Offers x, y, z and is really cool, etc.
    ...more entries like above down the page

Using "GetHTML" I get the standard default text link provided by the vendor. It might be a simple sentence with "click here" at the end which is the link.

So my question comes into play:

Can I modify the text link html, such that I can better fit it into the structure of my site as a directory listing? Obviously I don't want to change the actual link, but I'd like to be able to do:

Website Title <--modified AFF anchor text with actual link provided by "GetHTML"
    Website general description. Offers x, y, z and is really cool, etc. Would be a modified website description so that I can offer more information.

------------------------

I've been searching through the .pdf help document, but not locating anything specific. My goal is to integrate information about the affiliate product/service into my directory listings that fits it's current format.

Is this ok to do? I'm hoping to have the option for integration that is more conducive to a directory listing to blend in better.

GTech, Apr 1, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  2. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    When the box comes up with the code, you will see that one of the radio buttons is highlighted, usually javascript. What you need to do is click on the "Custom" radio button. This will deliver up code in which you can place your own choice of link text. :)

mcfox, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  3. GTech

GTech Rob Jones for President!

Best Answers:
    Thanks mcfox, but I don't see any radio buttons in the GetHTML window. There are three check boxes: Encrypt link?, Set link to open a new browser window?, and Hide tracking code in link?

I can create the links the way I want them, no problem. I'm quite comfortable with editing the link anchor text, etc. I just want to be sure it is ok to do so.

Maybe the "Custom" radio button you mention is only available for certain vendors/links?

GTech, Apr 1, 2005 IP
    Will.Spencer likes this.
  4. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Peon

Best Answers:
    NO. As long as you're linking to the tracking URL, the anchor text doesn't matter ;)

DangerMouse, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  5. GTech

Best Answers:
    Thanks DM.

GTech, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  6. mcfox

mcfox Wind Maker

Best Answers:
    Ah, geeze, you're right! I was thinking of Tradedoubler. I should have checked first instead of relying on my somewhat dodgy memory.
    Dangermouse is of course, correct, as well as being one of my favourite cartoon series ... well, ok, it was Penfold ...

mcfox, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  7. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    I have a related question.

A CJ link looks like this:
    Can I get rid of that annoying image?

I want to use CJ links as plain directory entries in my travel directory, and than means I enter a URL, not a URL with an annoying img attached to it.

Will.Spencer, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  8. GTech

Best Answers:
    I can't say for sure Will, but the image is used for impression tracking. I have the same issue you have. I had to modify my code so that I can use the description field for the sponsored information. I put a special tag in the field, then in the php code, check for the tag. If it exists, then I format the output a bit differently.

GTech, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  9. Bernard

Bernard Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    The image might also be used to set cookies and track conversions/commissions. I've never used CJ, but I wouldn't mess with it or you might lose out on your commissions!

Bernard, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  10. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Well, "messing with it" is the only option right now, unless I do some (more) recoding of the directory script I am using.

Thus far I have changed enough of the source code that upgrading will be painful, but not quite impossible.

Will.Spencer, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  11. Infiniterb

Infiniterb Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I've taken out the image and still collect earnings. I think the image is simply used to track impressions.

Infiniterb, Apr 1, 2005 IP
    Bernard and Will.Spencer like this.
  12. Will.Spencer

Will.Spencer NetBuilder

Best Answers:
    Thanks! That is really very good to know!

Will.Spencer, Apr 3, 2005 IP
  13. websavvy

websavvy Peon

Best Answers:
    Just wanted to know whether this is still working?

websavvy, Jul 29, 2010 IP