1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Different C-class? Do I *REALLY* need it?

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by itsme, Aug 29, 2006.

Ok, Here's the thing, lately I find myself changing web hosts almost as frequently as I change my socks... because they stink (the hosting, not my socks).

Now don't get the wrong idea, they all charge normal prices ($5+/month) and promise the world. I've had headache after headache with all but ONE. I'm sick of things like 48+ hours of downtime, my sites/cpanel getting hacked, email going down, ftp problems and so on.

In fact, I'm SO sick of crappy hosting that I'm VERY seriously considering switching ALL of my domains to the one and only hosting company that I'm 100% happy with (site5.com by the way, if you were wondering).

This would of course mean that all of my domains would be hosted on the same IP Block. I don't see this as being a problem since very few of them interlink and when they do they are on topic so I don't think it would hurt me too much.

So I guess the big question is "How much does it really hurt to link sites on the same IP Block together?".

Anyone have some real experience/data on this? I would imagine that the SEO effect would be minimal, but having fast reliable hosting might actually help more than the IP thing hurts.

Help!

itsme, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  2. drhyperlaur

drhyperlaur Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    i've read in some place, i can't really remember where, that if you have less than 8 (this was the number) interlinked sites from the same ip it is ok... with more than 8, problems can appear...

drhyperlaur, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  3. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Sounds interesting. If you remember where you read that maybe you could post a link, sounds interesting... could save a lot of work.

In either case, I don't have 8 interlinking sites so I'm sure I'd be better off with a better host. To be honest, even if it hurts my sites, I'd rather build new links than waste time hunting down reliable hosting companies and fixing problems caused by the crap ones!

itsme, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  4. BILZ

BILZ Peon

Best Answers:
    I dont think it would create a big problem to have all on the same IP block. Unless you have hundreds of sites and interlink them all in a spammy fashion.

Also, i can reccomend one of the hosts that i use: 2mhost.com their sservice is reliable and low cost. Their support is not the greatest but it is adequate.

BILZ, Aug 29, 2006 IP
    itsme likes this.
  5. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I'm off to check them out... thanks

itsme, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  6. stlgatekeeper

stlgatekeeper Peon

Best Answers:
    I disagree on IP sharing.
    It's far more safer and secure seo wise to have a website on a dedicated IP.
    Just my two cents....

stlgatekeeper, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  7. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    I agree with both BILZ and stlgatekeeper... I think it's risky business being in the same IP Block but doubt it would be too spammy to SE's if there were only a few.

I keep hearing about dreamhost... there's also HostRocket.com which I know from personal experience as being very good... my forums are on a shared package there and in 2 1/2 years have only gone down once so far (for more than an hour)?

clenard, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  8. clenard

clenard Active Member

Best Answers:
    ^ although... one time they did get their mail server hacked and I lost a bunch of Mail, which seems to be more common than not.

clenard, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  9. Voasi

Voasi Active Member

Best Answers:
    Ya, definitely don't interlink them if you've got more then like 10. Yahoo! especially doesn't like them. I worked with a client that had all 30,000 clients banned from Y! because of interlinking between each of their clients' sites.

If you do plan on interlinking, the obvious answer is definitely get different C class IP addresses per site. I do this with my sites, as I like to cross promote (in a non-spammy way) between my network, regardless of 'theme'.

If you need some recommendation's of some good hosts at cheap prices, let me know. I've been working with a few in particular for about a year and haven't had any problems as of yet. <knocks on wood>

Voasi, Aug 29, 2006 IP
  10. Vreeenom

Vreeenom Peon

Best Answers:
    I have a question.

Why does everyone wants links from different C IPs classes?

what if the links are from different pages of the same server? aren't counted as 2 different links?

thanks, and btw, really nice post;)

Vreeenom, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  11. onedollar

onedollar SEO Consultant for Hire

Best Answers:
    It wouldn't hurt to link the sites if you are doing it for the purpose of doing it for visitors. However, if you are thinking of doing it for improving your rankings, you wouldn't get any link benefit for the purpose of improving rankings whether they are on the same IP block or are on the same host (especially with Google)

onedollar, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  12. Vreeenom

Vreeenom Peon

Best Answers:
    what about 30 different domains on same IP, that will mean 29 links on each, for each other. isn't that spam?

Vreeenom, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  13. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    Are you saying that sites on different c-class blocks but with the same host are going to be penalised? I would have to wonder about this?

RedCardinal, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  14. itsme

itsme Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    This is my current situation. On each of my sites I place links to other sites, including mine, that are OF INTEREST TO VISITORS. I am more interested in bouncing visitors around my network in hopes of getting AdSense clicks or affiliate sales. That being said, I'm am also concerned about any ill effects (SEO) of doing so.

I'm not too concerned about hard core SEO since my sites don't rank for majorly competetive keywords anyway. I AM concerned about google/yahoo/msn logging me as a spam network/link farm and totally dropping me from the index and ruining the traffic I am already getting.

I have had several sites slowly lose pages in the indexes, probably from interlinking sites. I no longer interlink sites as much as I used to but I'd hate for the same thing to happen.

In either case, I will move everything to the same host just because they are the best I've found... I'll be sure to mention any positive or negative effects later on as I monitor my domains.

itsme, Aug 30, 2006 IP
  15. onedollar

Best Answers:
    no, not penalised but would not get the linking benefit if they are on the same c-class.:)

16. onedollar

Best Answers:
    As long as you are doing it to get the adsense/affiliate benefits from the additional traffic, it should be good - just don't expect the interlinking to help in the rankings.;)

also, you should not worry about getting penalised/non-indexing with any of the search engines for interlinking your sites unless they are of a spammy nature:)

17. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes that's my understanding of how Google assesses links. Sorry, your original quote could be read in a different way

You could be on the same host (same server even) but have different C-class IPs. Just in case anyone gets confused reading that :)

RedCardinal, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  18. onedollar

Best Answers:
    yes, you could be on the same host with different c-class ip's but as far as google is concerned, don't expect the benefits to pass :)
    for google, whether you are having links from the same c-class ip or from the same host with identical whois information, no link juice benefit :)

onedollar, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  19. woopa

woopa Guest

Best Answers:
    I think the fast hosting is the best option.
    Don't try this SEO kiddie stuff. Think at your visitors not a SEO.

woopa, Aug 31, 2006 IP
  20. RedCardinal

RedCardinal Peon

Best Answers:
    Any conclusive evidence of this please?

A little dazed and confused here, when you refer to 'host' you mean webhost? Whois refering to domains?

RedCardinal, Aug 31, 2006 IP