1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

URL Re-Write

Discussion in 'Search Engine Optimization' started by asghar.paracha, Jan 15, 2010.

I have done some URL Re-Wrtie on my website and when I search in Google for my whole website link it shows me static and dynamic URLs. Are these results old or is it a problem?

asghar.paracha, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  2. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    According to website in your signature, you are SEO expert, so how it comes you have no answer to the simplest question about search engine in the world?

Hosting24, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  3. Camay123

Camay123 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    To check if a link is old or new in search engines, check when was the last cache version

Camay123, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  4. Canonical

Canonical Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Did you implement it correctly? Typically when you switch from dynamic SEO-unfriendly URLs to keyword rich SEO-friendly URLs, you have to implement BOTH a redirect AND a rewrite.

For example, if your old URL was http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188 and you want to switch to http://example.com/hdtv/sony-bravia-40-inch-LCD-HDTV/ then you would implement the following:

301 redirect all requests for http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188 to http://example.com/hdtv/sony-bravia-40-inch-LCD-HDTV/.

URL rewrite requests for http://example.com/hdtv/sony-bravia-40-inch-LCD-HDTV/ to http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188.

The 1st 301 redirect will take care of transfering credit for all links to the old URL (http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188) to the new SEO friendly URL (http://example.com/hdtv/sony-bravia-40-inch-LCD-HDTV/) the next time those links are recrawled. At Google it will also take care of removing the old URL from the index since it nolonger exists.

Browsers and crawlers alike will then request the new SEO friendly URL as a result of the 301. When the browser or crawler requests the new URL your server should URL rewrite (NOT redirect) to the old URL http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188. The old page will be rendered and a 200 status returned so the new URL will remain in browser address bars even though the old URL is used to render it. For crawlers requesting the new URL they don't know that you're actually showing them http://example.com/index.php?cat=1243&prod=991188 since your server will return a 200 status so it indexes the content at the old URL but thinks it came directly from the new URL.

Canonical, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  5. Traffic-Bug

Traffic-Bug Active Member

Best Answers:
    Have you submitted sitemap with the redirected urls (static and dynamic urls both mixed)? The urls listed in the sitemap is what will appear on the google search results pages.

Traffic-Bug, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  6. diamondzul002

diamondzul002 Guest

Best Answers:
    i think this time your inter linking URL is dynamic thats why u facing this prob pls remove this and check. other wise give me your website URL so i will check it

diamondzul002, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  7. abhijit

abhijit Notable Member

Best Answers:
    you can remove your old results....................with google webmaster tools and submit a sitemap with new urls

abhijit, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  8. rimple

rimple Peon

Best Answers:
    Hello Friend,

You should try to submit your sitemap again.

rimple, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  9. snappy198

snappy198 Peon

Best Answers:
    You are contradicting yourself. You are saying to 301 redirect to the rewritten URL but somehow the search engine won't know it is not at a new URL? You are wrong, if you are 301 redirecting the search engine will know it's a 301 and will consider the new URL to be the new URL. The search engine should update it's index with the new url assuming your site isn't junk.

snappy198, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  10. websitedevelopment

websitedevelopment Peon

Best Answers:
    According to Search engine optimization, that URL rewriting is one of the technique to improve your website visibility in crawling more search engine friendly.

websitedevelopment, Jan 16, 2010 IP
  11. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    I agree. The only thing you forgot to say - this method was a little bit helpful many years ago, and it's 100% useless now.

Hosting24, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  12. dorothykinder

dorothykinder Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, Its always better to have URL's rewritten with Keywords in that rather than having dynamic URL's.

dorothykinder, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  13. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    dorothykinder, what are your arguments on this?

Hosting24, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  14. 5503landis

5503landis Peon

Best Answers:
    The days of dynamic URLs are gone. The thing I am amazed at is that some CMS platforms are still trying to keep up with these need.

5503landis, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  15. valvetak47

valvetak47 Peon

Best Answers:
    Just look at the cache.

Simply type cache:site.com in Google to know your last cached file.

And if new URLs are not listed then start building some backlinks to it. And if your having problem because Google is showing your dynamic URL that you had before then feel free, it will be deleted some days later.

And don't forget Sitemap.

valvetak47, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  16. Canonical

Best Answers:
    I didn't contradict myself at all... Did you even bother to read my post completely and attempt to understand it? This is how you convert a site w/ SE unfriendly dynamic URLs to SE friendly keyword rich URLs without changing the backend system. Behind the scenes (using URL rewriting) you continue to call your ecommerce or content management system with ugly URLs but the browser/crawlers never know it. The browser/crawlers only see the new SE friendly URLs.

I am VERY familiar with 301s and how they work... and with URL rewriting. There is a difference between URL rewriting and 301 redirecting. The difference is as follows:

301 Redirect URL A to URL B:

Browser/crawler requests: URL A
    Server returns: status=301 Permanently Moved, Location=URL B
    Browser/crawler requests: URL B (AND the URL in the browser address bar changes to URL B)
    Server returns: status=200 Ok with HTML rendered at URL B

NOTE: There are 2 roundtrips to the server for a 301 redirect

URL Rewrite URL A to URL B:

Browser/crawler requests: URL A
    Server returns: status 200 with HTML rendered using URL B.

The browser/crawler thinks the URL A actually exists because it returned a 200 status when in fact the server really rendered the HTML by calling URL B. In a browser, URL A remains in the address bar even though URL B is what actually rendered the page.

NOTE: There is only a single roundtrip to the server for a URL rewrite.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
    Canonical, Jan 18, 2010 IP
  17. Hosting24

Hosting24 Member

Best Answers:
    May I ask how experienced you are in search engine marketing? This post makes me laugh badly...

Hosting24, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  18. asghar.paracha

asghar.paracha Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    thnx Canonical for ur great help. now I m impelmenting everything u have described. thanks again

asghar.paracha, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  19. jermainecash151

jermainecash151 Peon

Best Answers:
    where i can found goolge webmaster tool ?

jermainecash151, Jan 19, 2010 IP
  20. Canonical

Best Answers:
    You can start here by creating a Google account to use for Webmaster Tools.

Once you create an account and log in, you'll have to go through the Google site verification process to prove you're the webmaster for your site.

I would recommend verifying both the www and non-www version of your site (Google treats them as different sites in WMT). You have to do so before you can pick a preferred domain.

Canonical, Jan 19, 2010 IP