Do directory listings matter any more?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by marcusofplymouth, Jan 14, 2010.

My main site is probably listed on 100 directories but I hardly ever submit to them. I was under the impression that links from directories are pretty much worthless - is this the case? I do't want to be missing out on Google love by not submitting so what do you all think?

marcusofplymouth, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  2. CanadianEh

CanadianEh Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Directories are still a good way of increasing your search engine rankings. The biggest advantage is that you have some say in the "all important" link text that you use.

On the other hand, the search engines have gotten better at what they do. I always suggest that directories should be one of your link building tools. Mix them in with forums, blogs, social media...

The problem is that there are large networks of identical general directories that are not going to help much. Niche directories can really help your site. For some sites, regional directories can help them improve rankings within the area they do business.

CanadianEh, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Yes it does matter when it comes to link building and ranking. That's why directories still exist and many individuals and companies have budget set aside to pay for directory listings...

alistair80, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  4. SKYlasers

SKYlasers Guest

Best Answers:
    I would suggest not spending too much time sitting in front of your computer submitting to free directories. What I usually do is submit to the large ones (DMOZ, yahoo, botw, business, etc...) and directories in your niche. Please note that some of these large directories will cost you money. Submitting to directories may increase your PR but you will not get any significant traffic from doing this.

If you have the time to submit to random directories, stick to directories with PR3 or above.

SKYlasers, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  5. sippsin

sippsin Active Member

Best Answers:
    Directory submissions are always beneficial. However take time to figure out Good directories with Non Spammy contents and also good Page Rank.

And dont just submit to some directory seeing that it has PR3 or more.

When you submit, just check the page where your link is going to appear. That page should have a good PR. Even if it has a PR1, it is better than submitting to a PR8 directory without a page rank on the page where your link appears. It doesnt mean others without inner page ranks wont help. But this is a good way of approaching directories. It would take more time, but would provide you valuable inbound links!

Yahoo and DMOZ are the directories which has page ranks for almost all pages.

sippsin, Jan 14, 2010 IP
  6. subet

subet Banned

Best Answers:
    It always worths.

subet, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  7. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    marcusofplymouth what gave you that impression?

pipes, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  8. wwws

wwws Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Probably another one of those that are overzealous and want to bring the web directory down. I see a lot of post like this and it never seem to amaze me that they can't scroll down and read the last post about it. There are articles on the web which tells you what the web directories rolls are, but I think I will make a post about it anyway, I'll get the same answer as the last person that posted the same question.

@marcusofplymouth - What makes you think that directories are "worthless", where did you get that idea, show some justification on your claim and we can talk about it a little more.

Edit: I gave you a red and I hardly do that.

wwws, Jan 15, 2010 IP
    pipes likes this.
  9. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Let me put it for you this way.

Directory, and most of all FREE Directory, is the only FRIEND that new site owner has.

Just think about that for a moment

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 15, 2010 IP
  10. jdoug

jdoug Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm really starting to find that out.

jdoug, Jan 15, 2010 IP