1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Can I Find Out If My Site Has Been Banned From Pinging?

Discussion in 'WordPress' started by lyndatreb, Jan 13, 2010.

Because I took some bad advice and due to the fact that I didn't know what I was doing with my first Wordpress blog, I am afraid I may have already caused problems with my site due to over-pinging. I made several edits in one day to one of my posts and it's my understanding Wordpress automatically pings each time.

Is there a way I can find out if my site has been banned from pinging and, if so, is there any way I can get unbanned?

Thanks

lyndatreb, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  2. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Easiest method would be to see if Technorati and Google's blog search is picking up your posts in a timely manner.

What's the url of your blog? (That should have been in your first post.)

theapparatus, Jan 13, 2010 IP
  3. lyndatreb

lyndatreb Peon

Best Answers:
    My url is http://ovarian-cysts-treatments.com. Please don't laugh too hard -- it's my first blog and I'm still learning. I just would like to know if I've already done something that has screwed things up for me. If so, I'll just abandon this blog and start over.

I really just don't have a basic understanding about the pinging process. Are you saying that as long as I'm seeing my posts indexed in Google, then everything is okay? I have no idea how to check Technorati.

I went in and removed all pinging sites except pingomatic on my Wordpress settings. (Before I had a larger
    list -- something I got from this forum -- that now looks like it was duplicating the pings). I had someone else tell me that I should manually ping to make sure it's getting pinged, which I was afraid to do since it sounds like Wordpress automatically does it for me. Just really don't know what to do at this point.

Thanks

4. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    Yes, there's really no need for that list.

I'm showing your latest post with Google:

Link

As well as Blogsearch:

Link

I'm not showing it within Technorati but right now I can't even find my own blog there so that my be mucked up again.

5. lyndatreb

lyndatreb Peon

Best Answers:
    I'm really sorry for my ignorance in all this.

After I made my last post, I had to go in and make some adjustments to one of my older posts and I ended up editing it four or five times that day. My concern is that if Wordpress pinged each time, possibly I could have a problem with being tagged as spamming the ping sites??

So, if I'm understanding this correctly, the next time I make a post, as long as it gets indexed by Google, I can assume that all is well as far as my pinging is concerned?

6. theapparatus

theapparatus Peon

Best Answers:
    I wouldn't worry about it if we're talking about 4-5 pings. Hundreds yes. A few no. My Movable Type blog does the same thing and I'll edit a post half dozen times within an hour after making it and I've never had an issue. (My typing sucks due to a tremor. I make lots of typos.)

Reference: One of the many thread on the topic: http://wordpress.org/support/topic/337958

If it's still a concern, there's a couple of plugins that will prevent this. For example:

http://www.maxblogpress.com/plugins/mpo/

I've never used the plugin so I can't provide any suggestion for it. I do notice that it;s been removed from the wp.org plugin database but that could be for one of many reasons include a dislike of the designer by the main wp developer.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

7. lyndatreb

lyndatreb Peon

Best Answers:
    You have been so kind and VERY helpful. Thanks!!

theapparatus likes this.