1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

Decent Traffic, Low CTR?

Discussion in 'AdSense' started by fresh prince, Jan 9, 2010.

Hey guys,

I've read many threads about how people have a lot of traffic and low ctr, well... problems are usually solved with a discussion on improving the inquirer's methods, on an individual basis (as in solution reflects the person). I felt it was my turn for assistance, so here I am wondering whats wrong. My friend started a forum based on "asian entertainment news". He continued it and gradually made it to an average of $10 a day (it varied up and down extensively) until his activity on it slowed to a stop. He had other things that prevented him and so he decided I should take over. Unfortunately, the site may have lost traffic from the stoppage that occurred mid-december. At this point, analytics shows just about an average of 900 visits a day, and adsense showing just about twice that in ad impressions. This is barely earning me much; due to further curiosity, i asked my friend and he mentioned that during his peak time, he averaged 4000 visitors. Any tips? \: I guess I want to improve CTR

I'm not even exactly sure what I'm trying to get out there, but yea... I won't post the site unless asked, some people assume its a cheap traffic boost. I'd rather not stand with such accusations. :)

fresh prince, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  2. badar1653

badar1653 Active Member

Best Answers:
    Try be changing ad placement and font colors to blend with your site. Also use bigger ad blocks like Large rectangle and put your ad blocks in upper half of the page.

badar1653, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  3. fresh prince

fresh prince Peon

Best Answers:
    I changed the ad placement a lot, what i currently have seems to be the most beneficial. ):

fresh prince, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  4. Lex350

Lex350 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Ive noticed when I move things around to much it lowers ctr. Let things settle for a while..

Lex350, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  5. manbirs

manbirs Member

Best Answers:
    me too.... lol

manbirs, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  6. internetmarketingiq

internetmarketingiq Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Look at this from a customer/visitors perspective.

Why did they visit? What are they looking for? Do your Ads give them what they want?

internetmarketingiq, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  7. captkev

captkev Active Member

Best Answers:
    While ad placement is important, I think it also depends on the niche of your website, and also how the visitors came to your site. I've got certain niches that are consistently 25% ctr, and I have others that are consistently 2.5 to 5% .

find the right niche and you'll find the right CTR.

captkev, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  8. UWStudent

UWStudent Peon

Best Answers:
    Depending on the topic of the site, CTR can be very different across niches. For example, while celebrity and entertainment sites generate a lot of visitors, the CTR is generally very low for these topics.

UWStudent, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  9. fresh prince

fresh prince Peon

Best Answers:
    @UWStudent

Yea, like the traffic is not bad, it's just the horrible ctr thats killing me \:

@captkev

haha thanks I shall find a niche sooner or later, but aren't we all in this search? lmao. Glad you made it, wish me luck! LOL btw any tips? (as in setting up different niche sites)

fresh prince, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  10. lohanpankaj

lohanpankaj Peon

Best Answers:
    Try posting ads on right places - like not at the top but to some down ( people click such ads more )

Hope that helps

lohanpankaj, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  11. President

President Peon

Best Answers:
    We are the same, so let's change the color and size..

President, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  12. fresh prince

fresh prince Peon

Best Answers:
    Thanks guys,

I'm starting a new blog, gonna keep that site I spoke about earlier cosntantly updated, but hopefully I'll have better luck on this.

fresh prince, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  13. rcj662

rcj662 Guest

Best Answers:
    The niche of site and keywords for each page make a difference. Check what ads show on site if they are not related to site topic filter them out. No one wants to see ads for something not related to site.

rcj662, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  14. Reviewz

Reviewz Peon

Best Answers:
    You mentioned Asian traffic; you have to understand that a lot of traffic, especially from certain regions is considered as next to useless by Adsense.

I do not think Asian traffic clicks around much (very low CTR) and anyway, very few advertisers are willing to pay good money for Asian traffic. Same goes for Russian/East Europe traffic.

Also, if you check your stats and you see a lot of Firefox usage....I can say for certainty that your CTR is going to be low. Many Firefox users have AdBlock on, or are webmasters/bloggers themselves....or consider themselves savvy and therefore they don't click Adsense.

Firefox and low Adsense CTR go hand in hand.

And the irony is that they themselves use Adsense....or at least many of them do. :cool:

Reviewz, Jan 11, 2010 IP