1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

The end of article marketing?

Discussion in 'General Marketing' started by reagent, Jan 10, 2010.

Sometimes when I look at articlesbase, ezine and even google serp for certain keywords, I feel they more and more tend to look... hmm... spammy, so to say. I mean, they are full of "keyword-rich 250 words" garbage with affiliate links in it. It reminds me google serp of some years ago -- full of doorway pages.
    It also seems to me that the article directories really have only two options: either to become a spammers' pool, or to ensure strict moderation, forbid outbound links and like that. Or google can penalize the inner pages of article directories to clear serp of "keyword rich 250 words blah-blah-blah"... And if it happens -- it will be the end of article marketing?
    It is very interesting to hear any idea on the above matter and if it has any value now to invest in article writing and submission.

reagent, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  2. Jelenik

Jelenik Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Please, can you give a example for few articles, which are you written about?

Jelenik, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  3. Nytrolix

Nytrolix Peon

Best Answers:
    Article marketing still works, although not as well as it used to do :(

Nytrolix, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  4. reagent

reagent Active Member

Best Answers:
    You can try google.com for "Tips How to View Private Myspace Profiles", for example. Or this.
    I do not accuse anybody or something like that, by the way. Nothing personal, just business. And of course everybody has his own views on what is "spammy" and what is not.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2010
    reagent, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  5. awundrin

awundrin Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Well, I can certainly agree that Ezinearticles.com have lowered their standards. Just a couple of years ago when browsing through articles there the work was much better. It seems now that they are basically accepting nearly anything regardless of sentence structure and grammar. Now whether or not that will affect article marketing, I do not really know. I don't know why that site is still considered to be 'it' when it comes to directories.

awundrin, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  6. Andy Wood

Andy Wood Peon

Best Answers:
    IMO article marketing works at the moment. On its current course though I agree it will eventually offer nothing to marketeers.

Andy Wood, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  7. goopygoo

goopygoo Peon

Best Answers:
    It will never "die" - it will just evolve and all the crap that has been building up on it will die. It's called evolution and those who can adapt will flourish.

goopygoo, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  8. tsiguy96

tsiguy96 Active Member

Best Answers:
    i think people are less likely to read them but it can still help with page rank...

tsiguy96, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  9. Mariela

Mariela Peon

Best Answers:
    There are some very high quality articles on directories such as ezine, however there is also a deluge of badly written, keyword rich tripe. The limitless possibilities of the internet enables anyone to publish online, so perhaps it is up to the reader to be discerning as to what they take from the internet.

Mariela, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  10. webbmaster

webbmaster Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    you are absolutely right.. these $20 articles are written for a specific purpose.. some of the articles do fill a niches otherwise wouldn't have been written.. but most of them do look spammy.. google will take notice and value it down accordingly.

webbmaster, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  11. amki

amki Peon

Best Answers:
    And only a few months ago they had a big promotion about tightening standards, etc. Even talked about how they had progressively improved over the years!

I have never seen an article there that I would consider using on my site. Grammar and spelling, as you said, are completely ignored, and I find that unforgiveable.

That being said, though, it does seem that the better quality articles rank better in Google and the better writers are read more. Maybe quality rises from the trash.

amki, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  12. Dr. Carey Nathan

Dr. Carey Nathan Guest

Best Answers:
    I would say article marketing is virtually dead.

Dr. Carey Nathan, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  13. CDarklock

CDarklock Peon

Best Answers:
    I think the real issue here is that nobody knows how to write anymore, and everybody's consumed with getting the best price they can for a writer. So instead of producing quality content, they buy cheap crap from some third-world outsourcer who doesn't even speak English... and since nobody really reads anymore, the client doesn't even notice that what he got back is garbage. So he sends it to EZA, and if he gets lucky, the editor's drunk or stoned or just can't be arsed to do his job - so he says "fork it, I'll just mass-approve the rest of the queue."

Article marketing, in other words, has gotten big enough that 90% of it is crap. Just like everything else.

But if you use quality articles, it still works.

CDarklock, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  14. Anneke

Anneke Active Member

Best Answers:
    Amen, dude.

Anneke, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  15. AnneM

AnneM Active Member

Best Answers:
    Amen twice...

Article marketing will continue to work but higher quality directories will take the place of EZA, simple. Google's revenue is directly connected to the relevancy and quality of info provided to searchers so it won't be long before they pull the plug on EZA. It happened with Hubpages faster because of lack of moderation but no one is untouchable.

AnneM, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  16. dlm

dlm Peon

Best Answers:
    I would say that you don't know what you are talking about.

dlm, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  17. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    So you think article directories is the only source for article marketing?

Perry Rose, Jan 11, 2010 IP
  18. reagent

reagent Active Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks a lot to everybody for the answers!

It will be highly appreciated if you give maybe just a hint at other sources.

reagent, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  19. 1associate

1associate Peon

Best Answers:
    Article marketing achieves much better results than magazine advertising but the articles have to be well written and targeted to relevant demographics. Good article writers can make more from AdSense than they do selling articles - even if they have to wait.

I still can't believe that someone would sell an original 500 word article for $2 - if that's all I was going to make I can't imagine how pants the article would be. It takes a person of average intelligence a few nano seconds to realise that an article is poor and bounce off.

All this keyword swamping makes for a bad reader experience and a bad experience of any kind is not going to market any product or service no matter how brilliant it is...

1associate, Jan 12, 2010 IP
  20. Perry Rose

Perry Rose Peon

Best Answers:
    Askmen, Yahoo, MSN, About....

ANY site out there that has resonable to a lot of traffic.

Come on, man, did you really have to ask that question?

Perry Rose, Jan 12, 2010 IP