1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

What should I do with my directory?

Discussion in 'Directories' started by SCLocal, Jan 8, 2010.

?

What should I do with my directory?

Poll closed Feb 7, 2010.
  1. Keep it as is

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Install phpLD or other Directory Script

3 vote(s)
    42.9%
  3. Sh*t-can the Directory-theme alltogether

4 vote(s)
    57.1%
  4. Other

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
    Hey folks, I recently created my first directory website in August of 2009 and have been promoting it just slightly since then. I picked a domain name that would draw natural traffic and a domain name that was unique, the domain I chose was: yourmomsface.org, yeah neat I know.

For those of you who are unfamiliar with the term 'Your Mom's Face' it's an American saying, here's what Urban Dictionary defines it as:
    So anyway, I didn't really want to go with phpld so I decided on WordPress and customized it to suit my needs, added a funky flash file, and they you go.

My question to you, my fellow DP-heads, is what to do with the directory, should I continue to build it out as is, or should I redesign it, maybe even install phpLD and just customize that. Maybe I should even just can the whol directory format and just offer to sell 'Your Mom' merchandise by myself or as an affiliate or some t-shirt site.

SCLocal, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  2. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Haha funny domain name there, didn't expect something like that to be directory :D

Ibn Juferi, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  3. kishornayak

kishornayak Greenhorn

Best Answers:
    'Your Mom' merchandise should be a good option.

kishornayak, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Currently its not even a directory from what i can see, wordpress is not ideally suited for running a directory, the name choice is bad, if its insulting, unprofessional and not relevant then people wont submit, unless they really dont care.

Currently its very off putting i feel.

If you want to run a directory, buy a more serious domain, run a directory script or have a custom one built.

pipes, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  5. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Thanks for the comments so far, I am considering offering 'Your Mom' merch, that's a plus, but as for the 'Directory' aspect, how is it not a directory? It's set up to accept link submissions and has several sub-categories for applicable links.

I chose to use the YourMomsFace.org as a directory website because, hey, if you want to find something, chances are you'll find it on Your Mom's Face. Need a good plumber? Have you checked Your Mom's Face? Etc, etc. Yes it could be off-putting for those who lack the necessary humor.

I do agree that it definitely isn't a 'niche' directory, it's just a general directory, and that IMHO is a downside. I figured that it would get the natural visitors from the 'Your Mom' related keywords (and it is) and those visitors would be interested (maybe) in the sites listed. There's only about a 25% bounce rate, which is quite low IMO and visitors seem to be staying for about 1.30 minutes and browsing 2.5 pages which on it...

Plus, the fact that it has 29,322 in-bound links (according to backlinkwatch.com) make it pretty strong, yeah?

I've been toying with the idea of putting a 'hot-or-not' type script on it, maybe the site/domain/visitors would be more targeted for rating 'your mom' type of photos.

SCLocal, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  6. paidhosting

paidhosting Peon

Best Answers:
    Seriously who would put their moms picture on the website to get some rating ?

paidhosting, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  7. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    No offense meant but the name doesnt "sound" like a directory or anything webmaster/search/index/links/listing related. The site could be branded as something else but as pipes said, serious submitters would find it silly to submit to a directory built on such a domain name.

alistair80, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  8. SCLocal

SCLocal Notable Member

Best Answers:
    Great comments ya'll, I'm just wondering, what are 'serious submitters' looking for? YourMomsFace.org has over 20k inbounds and about 100 UVs a day. Does it really need to sound like a directory? I realize that a niche directory is more valuable than a general directory, but how does the name play into it? Isn't YourMomsFace.org just as valid a directory as XCBDJH.com, for example. Is it all in the 'eye' of the submitter?

SCLocal, Jan 10, 2010 IP