1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

When "ridiculously sounding" domains are claimed as directory

Discussion in 'Directories' started by alistair80, Jan 8, 2010.

Hey there,

Been seeing this for awhile now. Most new "directory owners" seem to have found an easy way to fool unsuspecting submitters and PR freaks.

The buy a crap high pr domain that was never a directory and make it a directory using a free script. A couple days later, you see a funny sounding "new pr 4+" directory being annouced...

Now most experienced webmasters would know the obvious: that the pr would drop and the directory is heading to become nothing but a junk link farm and the domain will eventually lose most of its old backlinks that helped it gain the existing PR.

However, many dont seem to understand this and run after those "new high pr" directories, they pay only to see a sharp drop in pr or a parked page a few weeks later...

Is there a way to educate directory submitters?

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    alistair80, Jan 8, 2010 IP
    Mia, hyper, Bohra and 1 other person like this.
  2. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    What is the problem with JoesGardenSupplies.net general directory? lol.

I suggest that if you are going to use a domain that clearly has nothing to do with directories or web site promotion, that it should go niche directory. This way not only the domain, but old inbounds are relevant.

hotftuna, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  3. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    I wasnt planing on using no stupid domains to make a directory. It was an observation on how submitters are fooled by the so-called announcements. As for JoeGardenSupplies, I beg to differ that it sounds more like an e-commerce site than a niche directory...therefore, the most old inbounds would probably not exist if a directory was made on it ;) (I know you used it as example)

4. pipes

pipes Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I agree, its an absolute joke at times.

While its not necessary to call every directory somethingdirectory or directory something it is ridiculous to see some of the names appearing as directories for the reasons stated above.

pipes, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  5. hotftuna

hotftuna Active Member

Best Answers:
    "I wasnt planing on using no stupid domains to make a directory."

alistair, I did not mean to suggest that YOU would use such a domain for a directory, I meant if anybody wants to make a directory with a non-directory domain, they might want to consider keeping to the niche of the original site.

hotftuna, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  6. xc06

xc06 Notable Member

Best Answers:
    at least some reasonable , branded or meaningful name for directories IMO.

how about this PR5 "directory" zqnyj.com....hard to believe it is a dir name.

xc06, Jan 8, 2010 IP
    Ibn Juferi likes this.
  7. alistair80

alistair80 Well-Known Member

Best Answers:
    Ah sorry! You're right...even though I am not into buying old high pr domains, I know if I ever bought one, I'd like to know the history of the domain and it's backlinks and wou;d create a site that is relevant to the domain...and to existing backlinks.

hotftuna likes this.
  8. simey

simey Active Member

Best Answers:
    this has been going on since the early 2000's or earlier.

You can't educate people who don't make an effort to become educated.

simey, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  9. abluegrape

abluegrape Peon

Best Answers:
    I think its the people who dont do the homework are to blame themselves when they pay for a link in PR5 directory that has only been up for a few weeks

abluegrape, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  10. Mia

Mia R.I.P. STEVE JOBS

Best Answers:
    Just keep making posts like these.

Of course you'll never convince everyone. There are still people out there that think PR alone equals the front page of Google and top SERP's.

There's a lot of misinformation out there. Most of it was created by the industry leaders themselves in the beginning.

Mia, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  11. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Education must start in forums like DP every time “freshly baked” dropped domain or dfghf.com (alphabet based) directory announced in forum. The problem with that, people who ridicule such a directory are getting infractions and their posts removed thus allowing some dead on arrival directory to sell hot air unchallenged.

Then again, some directories lists owners who care more about amount of listed directories instead of directories quality should put fresh out off the oven directories on hold, sort of 6 or more months quarantine and add directory to their list only if that directory survived the test by time. The only selective lists sites when it comes to directories that I’m aware off are belong to vilesilencer.com and vmoptions.com

I’m sure Internet community have power to stop mushroom farms directories from flourishing by providing awareness if there is any desire by it members to do something and to end that directories madness.

:)

fastreplies

Last edited: Jan 8, 2010
    fastreplies, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  12. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Ever consider that it's not what you say, but how you say it? I'm not surprised to see the posts removed that you're likely referring to, nor the fact that they incurred infractions.

It's all about supply and demand, as long as submitters continued with their ongoing displays of ignorance and reward the jokers peddling cheap featured links on dropped domains, it'll continue.

Looking at it from another perspective, it's nice that there are those who are willing to collect and publicly display all of the crap on the Internet.

CReed, Jan 8, 2010 IP
  13. Ibn Juferi

Ibn Juferi Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    I think if someone wants to buy an old domain name for a directory, then it should be something with a brand. Then no issues.

Ibn Juferi, Jan 9, 2010 IP
    xc06 likes this.
  14. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    Posts I’m talking about warns public that “New” PR 6 directory is based on dropped domain and provide evidence
    like WayBack machine and Domain Who is info.
    Infraction given for ‘post count’.

Do you have better or any ideas what can be done or you are suggesting we
    should give up trying to educate them?

I lost you here.
    What’s nice about that?

:confused:

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  15. zupreme

zupreme Active Member

Best Answers:
    On the surface it does seem silly to use a random domain name as a directory. But keep in mind that making money online, unless you're very very fortunate, is all about the physics of scale.

If you can get 100 sites earning $1 per day, then you're making $100/day, $700/wk, or $3k/month. Some people accomplish this with ad-packed Autoblogs, some with domain parking, others with Affiliate-product landing pages, and some with directories.

If I sell one link every week at $10/link on a given directory, then that site is carrying it's weight well. Multiply that by dozens of directories and you have a nice autopilot income going there.

As for new marketers paying for these links, the physics of scale apply there too. I have one site, in particular, that shot to number one on Google in 2 weeks as a result of One-way links from free directories alone.

zupreme, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  16. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You are confusing SEO with PR
    Read this http://forums.digitalpoint.com/showpost.php?p=13321584&postcount=54

;)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  17. CReed

CReed Prominent Member

Best Answers:
    Next time I'll wrap it in the <sarcasm> </sarcasm> tags.

CReed, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  18. zupreme

zupreme Active Member

Best Answers:
    zupreme, Jan 9, 2010 IP
  19. fastreplies

fastreplies Banned

Best Answers:
    You never mention traffic in your original post.

You were talking about backlinks and PR and even thou I agree that backlinks
    generate traffic, PR alone by no means does it nor it ever will.

Site with high PR but without good SEO work and backlinks as good as dead
    and that is why PR nothing more than meaningless metrics.

:)

fastreplies

fastreplies, Jan 10, 2010 IP
  20. jitendraag

jitendraag Notable Member

Best Answers:
    I collect these type of directories everyday. It's unfortunate that the only 'good names' are link*.info (those are bad as well) :)

I also checked that most directories on dropped domain didn't loose PR.

jitendraag, Jan 10, 2010 IP