1. Advertising
    y u no do it?

Advertising (learn more)

Advertise virtually anything here, with CPM banner ads, CPM email ads and CPC contextual links. You can target relevant areas of the site and show ads based on geographical location of the user if you wish.

Starts at just $1 per CPM or $0.10 per CPC.

All I get is <

Discussion in 'Co-op Advertising Network' started by adigaskell, Apr 1, 2005.

I added the new code this morning, a simple copy and paste job, and renamed the files to those suggested in the setup.

All I get now however is '<' where the ad should be (http://www.TheEnvironmentSite.org/Forum/)

Any ideas?

adigaskell, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  2. lowrider14044

lowrider14044 Raider

Best Answers:
    I have the exact same problem. Either using the default file names or alternate file names. Been running the ads without any problems with the old files. No idea what the problem might be?? Switched back until it's figured out. Don't want to get an "failed validation" E-Mail. :)

lowrider14044, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  3. yonnermark

yonnermark Peon

Best Answers:
    I simply get no ads showing anymore.
    I uploaded the 2 new files. I chmodd'd the .txt file and put the new code into the pages but where I once had 5 ads I now have no ads.

Here's the code I'm using

<?php
    ini_set ("include_path", ini_get ("include_path") . ':../:../../:../../../:../../../../');
    include ('ad_network_213.php');
    echo $ad_network;
    ?>

and I'm trying to embed it within a PHPBB2 forum site
    thanks
    mark

yonnermark, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  4. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    Did you change the echo part to output $ad_network instead of $ad_network[0]?

digitalpoint, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  5. adigaskell

adigaskell Peon

Best Answers:
    I did a straight copy/paste from the instructions on the coop ad network site.

6. digitalpoint

digitalpoint Overlord of no one Staff

Best Answers:
    Digital Goods:
    You sure? It looks like this part might be wrong:
    $template->assign_vars(array('AD_NETWORK' => $ad_network));
    PHP:
    Do you possibly have this instead?
    $template->assign_vars(array('AD_NETWORK' => $ad_network[0]));
    PHP:

digitalpoint, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  7. yonnermark

yonnermark Peon

Best Answers:
    can anyone shed light on my problem (above)?
    thanks
    mark

yonnermark, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  8. TearingHairOut

TearingHairOut Peon

Best Answers:
    Adigaskell,

I looked at your site and saw that it was showing advert | advert | advert |<

I assume you have it set up to actually show three text ads - this part seems to be working OK. However, there does appear to be a slight issue in relation to the new code for phpbb2. In my case, I have 4 text ads showing as advert | advert | advert | advert |||

Although the 213 code takes care of the multiple ad units, the following text still appears in item 4 of the phpbb2 setup page:

If you would like to run more than one ad for a weight bonus (see previous step). You will want to use whatever variables you assigned to your additional ads (for example {AD_NETWORK2}).

The advice given by Digitalpoint above to adigaskell shows that this part of item 4 is out of date. It does suggest that perhaps there may be a duplication of some kind, the result of which is that redundant "|" or "<" characters appear after the text ads in phpbb2. As I'm new to this I'm open to correction.

Yonnermark,

You're using the code for ordinary web pages. If you go to the FAQ page and click on the link for "phpbb2.X", you'll get the details for setting it up in phpbb2.
    =========

Hope this is of some help. I set up my site with the 211/212 versions only yesterday (on ordinary pages and my phpbb2 forum), and then got the 213 email this morning! As I've set up from scratch twice in two days, I've become fairly familiar with the process.

TearingHairOut, Apr 1, 2005 IP
  9. adigaskell

adigaskell Peon

Best Answers:
    The first three links are actually static text links so nothing to do with the coop ad network. I'll have a good look at the code this morning to see if I can uncover the problem.

10. TearingHairOut

TearingHairOut Peon

Best Answers:
    One thing I should have mentioned is that maybe you should purge your ad_network_ads_214.txt file. If you made any adjustments after you copied the new code, there could be a residue in the txt file that is affecting the display of ads.

Also, I presume that you updated your page_tail.tpl and overall_footer.tpl as well as copying across the new ad_network_214.php and ad_network_ads_214.txt. Just checking....

TearingHairOut, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  11. adigaskell

adigaskell Peon

Best Answers:
    It seems that the page_tail page was displaying the wrong code for some reason. All fixed now. Thanks for your help guys.

adigaskell, Apr 2, 2005 IP
  12. TearingHairOut

TearingHairOut Peon

Best Answers:
    After all my talk about code errors, I checked and saw that my own overall_footer.tpl was not updated, so a grovelling apology for doubting DigitalPoint! I was sure I had copied the new file across, maybe my FTP failed at the time.

However, I still think that item 4 on the setup page for phpbb2 should be amended to take the new version 213 into account.

TearingHairOut, Apr 2, 2005 IP